Paint Correction Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint Correction Advice

Have my Imola Red E46 that I am working on getting fixed.

Step 1: Jescar with white microfiber pad

Step 2: Sonax Perfect Finish with black foam pad.

I was having good success cutting down the majority of larger scratches and swirls with the first step. Second step was still too aggressive on the paint and left minor swirling.

Does anyone have a good combo that they have experience with? I am thinking of trying CarPro Essence and a white foam pad.
    2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Maybe you only need one step of polish? Try Megs 205 on a blue pad or whatever color yours are for polish, not orange or yellow and not MF.

But why would perfect finish on a super fine black pad leave swirls? Which jescar? I have their micro polish and it's very nice.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Jescar Correcting Compound 8 fl oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0742L1VWH..._2MpFEbHM6XN05

I have no idea why it is leaving swirls, unless it’s some of the leftover from the microfiber and Jescar.

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Never used those products but you might be applying to much pressure or polisher on too high. If you have a “polishing foam pad” try and mix both of the products (2 drops of each) you might be able to achieve better results with 1 step (even with the microfiber pad). You can also try and on your last step do 1 pass and then spray some water then do two more passes. Essence is a good product. I use Shine supply classic cut and classic polish. On my jet black I usually do two drops of each on a yellow polishing pads.
        06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Well, if you need a compound, you need a compound, that's fine. You shouldn't be making matters worse with the second step if it's indeed a finishing polish and the pad is fine/finishing. Is the pad clean? Is the surface clean after the first correction? Try less product and less pressure.

Researched the Sonax stuff and it does say it has cut so maybe you want something finer? Seems like it's meant to be a 2 in 1. I have fast gloss from menzerna and it's one of those products that can cut well, but also finish well, based on pad choice, but also pressure. Light pressure with high speed with leave a great finish.

You're probably pushing down too hard.
          Last edited by Tbonem3; 03-26-2020, 12:33 PM.
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I’ll need to play around with it some more. It was a brand new black pad, added some fluid to prep the pad and went to work.

same with the microfiber. And all old compound removed prior to starting pass 2

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Swirls? Are you using an orbital?
              BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

DA

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

I haven't found anything that finishes better than Sonax Perfect Finish 4/6. If you're leaving swirls, it is likely bad technique or your pad/microfibers are contaminated.

Comment

I just did a two-step correction on my vehicle this weekend. Since you compounded I am assuming you are concerned with minor swirls caused during the polishing stage. Sonax makes great products. I have nothing against 105,205 but they do cause significant dusting and you really need a QED to keep the product from flashing too fast. It sounds like it could be an issue with residue or pad prep. If you have access to a compressor I would blow out the pad after every section. It is tedious but it will reduce the likelihood of any pad caused swirling. I would also focus on the technique of "lifting" during the final cross-hatch passes to really jewel the paint and reduce those swirls. I hope this was helpful. ApexDetailing on Youtube has great videos for resolving any issues.

Edit: Recommend Sonax as well, and Meguiar's Microfiber D302 Polish (Can be used fine with foam pads)
                    Last edited by Fresh1179; 04-16-2020, 07:17 AM.
                    2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
                    [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

I would go old school with the paint correction and use meguiars m105 for heavier swirls and m205 as a lighter cutting polish. It leaves some flaking but the results are well worth it. I've experimented with some newer polishes and haven't been as successful. Finish her off with chemical guys blacklight followed by a light pass by hand with einszett glanz wax. Dont let the glanz dry up, remove it immediately.

Comment

Working...
                      X