Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point did you decide to give up your registration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At what point did you decide to give up your registration?

Hey Gents,

I'm trying to really weigh the pros and cons of just running the M3 as a track only vehicle and going to the DMV as a non-operational vehicle.

The only reason I'd have it on the road is to hit cars and coffee events, test drives/shakedowns, and drive to and from my local shop. On Bridgestone RE-71Rs and don't plan on swapping to slicks for a few years. Additionally, living in California I've got the dreaded smog test that I'll have to get past on an annual or semi-annual basis. My mods are not exactly smog check friendly. I don't own a trailer and my HOA specifically bans trailers from sitting in plain view. I don't have RV access, so that puts me in a bit of a bind.

At what point did you gents decide to give up the registration and trailer the vehicle around exclusively? Any thoughts are welcome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210113_093906.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	103041
    Instagram: M3Journal

I think I gave up mine around 2017. A lot of things you mentioned weighed into that. Once I had a cage, seats and harnesses though, that was pretty much the final straw. I also gutted everything I could from the car. I do have the luxury of a trailer and I live on a farm essentially do plenty of space to store it. I carry track insurance on it only. Saved probably $500-600 a year I suppose. It’d be nice if you could figure out a trailer situation. It’s great piece of mind and can save you a lot of headaches even for stupid stuff like your batter or alternator fails. That’s essentially why I got mine. I do miss not being able to shakedowns but I don’t take this car to shows or cars and coffee.

Comment

Once the harnesses and seats went in I stopped trying to fool myself. I sold a race ready turbo miata and bought the M3 with the intention of street driving it on weekends along with track duty. I put maybe 100 street miles and 6 track days on it with the stock seats and quick fit pro's before I couldn't deal with stock seats at the track any longer. The car simply isn't safe on the street once a containment seat is installed IMO so I took it off the road. Also, having a trailer makes the decision a lot easier. Now, its far too track oriented to be remotely comfortable on he street. I guess it comes down to safety first and comfort second and my car is neither on the street to me.

Comment

Beyond trailers, storage, loading and unloading...the biggest pain is testing a repair. For example, I had a TPS issue when the car got hot after about 10 minutes. I replaced both TPS sensors. No way on know for sure if it wasn't an actuator issue is to drive it. I had to tow the car 5 hours to my next event. It turned out good but other times its been 2-3 sessions and an issue pops back up. The worst was testing my splitter.

With my car, lightness is the primary goal. I had it in KS for awhile. As it is right now...it was technically street legal until I deleted the turn signals, headlights and wipers and then installed a lexan windshield (not DOT compliant). At least then I could drive it around with the cage to test it. With that said, my car is mutha fukin badazz. I gain seconds in turns on other cars, tires and brakes last 33% longer and I use about 40% less fuel since the car is so light (2640 lbs no fuel, no driver).

Comment

Originally posted by foolio View Post
          I think I gave up mine around 2017. A lot of things you mentioned weighed into that. Once I had a cage, seats and harnesses though, that was pretty much the final straw. I also gutted everything I could from the car. I do have the luxury of a trailer and I live on a farm essentially do plenty of space to store it. I carry track insurance on it only. Saved probably $500-600 a year I suppose. It’d be nice if you could figure out a trailer situation. It’s great piece of mind and can save you a lot of headaches even for stupid stuff like your batter or alternator fails. That’s essentially why I got mine. I do miss not being able to shakedowns but I don’t take this car to shows or cars and coffee.
          Thanks for your perspective. Who is your track insurance through? What's the annual cost?

I'll trailer (uhaul) the racecar back and forth, for the reasons that you mentioned. I suppose keeping the registration is above and beyond!

Comment

Originally posted by Sergmann View Post
            Once the harnesses and seats went in I stopped trying to fool myself. I sold a race ready turbo miata and bought the M3 with the intention of street driving it on weekends along with track duty. I put maybe 100 street miles and 6 track days on it with the stock seats and quick fit pro's before I couldn't deal with stock seats at the track any longer. The car simply isn't safe on the street once a containment seat is installed IMO so I took it off the road. Also, having a trailer makes the decision a lot easier. Now, its far too track oriented to be remotely comfortable on he street. I guess it comes down to safety first and comfort second and my car is neither on the street to me.
            Valid points! I suppose I really am fooling myself. I think I'm weighing the inconvenience of having to jump through the smog hoops and pay a reg fee (and insurance) every month. I park it in the garage, so theft isn't a top concern. I doubt they'd replace my race parts anyways.

Yeah I'd probably but 100 miles on the street every year. You got me thinking about leaving suburban life and getting a few acres here in SoCal somewhere! Need a few millions before I can do it though!! With your farm, I suppose you have plenty of private road to use.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
              Beyond trailers, storage, loading and unloading...the biggest pain is testing a repair. For example, I had a TPS issue when the car got hot after about 10 minutes. I replaced both TPS sensors. No way on know for sure if it wasn't an actuator issue is to drive it. I had to tow the car 5 hours to my next event. It turned out good but other times its been 2-3 sessions and an issue pops back up. The worst was testing my splitter.

With my car, lightness is the primary goal. I had it in KS for awhile. As it is right now...it was technically street legal until I deleted the turn signals, headlights and wipers and then installed a lexan windshield (not DOT compliant). At least then I could drive it around with the cage to test it. With that said, my car is mutha fukin badazz. I gain seconds in turns on other cars, tires and brakes last 33% longer and I use about 40% less fuel since the car is so light (2640 lbs no fuel, no driver).
              I like Futura for the trailer setup. My car will remain mostly street legal but im just trying to reduce headaches associated with this expensive hobby we all share!

Maybe I'll just get the trailer, park it in my driveway, slap some sort of cover on top of it and see if someone complains. This way, I can ditch the smog requirements, registration and insurance while having the convenience of mobility without having to go to uhaul every time. Only thing I lose is the ability to test drive for long distances, which will be a big PITA (as you have mentioned).

Also, send your IG, I'd like to check out your build!

Comment

I trailer the car to events but it remains a registered car on the street. My reasons are mostly logistics. I have had to tow the car away from an event twice so far. But I usually have the family with me so caravan'ing isnt really ideal.

If you're still able to drive the car to events and logistically it makes sense I would keep doing that. However if I were in your position and living in Cali, I would probably move out of the state before getting a trailer .

Comment

Originally posted by M3logik View Post

I like Futura for the trailer setup. My car will remain mostly street legal but im just trying to reduce headaches associated with this expensive hobby we all share!

Maybe I'll just get the trailer, park it in my driveway, slap some sort of cover on top of it and see if someone complains. This way, I can ditch the smog requirements, registration and insurance while having the convenience of mobility without having to go to uhaul every time. Only thing I lose is the ability to test drive for long distances, which will be a big PITA (as you have mentioned).

Ultimate win win would be if the HOA fines were less than what you pay now on a yearly basis for registration, insurance, and trailer rentals. You save money and get to rub their face in it 😂

Comment

Originally posted by M3logik View Post

I have a build thread going...

The Red Drift ///Machine - NA M3 Forums

Comment

Ive been wondering about this, since im dumping ~800$ a year for my car on liability only insurance plus registration fees to sit in a garage and it only ever does shakedowns in an industrial park.

Comment

Having had a dedicated track car, never again. I hate trailering and hate not being able to street drive to test/diagnose issues. I just won't mod the car to the point where it's annoying on the street.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i
                        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

At least with my car, making it lighter has made it WAY more fun. That makes the hassle of trailering worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                            At least with my car, making it lighter has made it WAY more fun. That makes the hassle of trailering worth it.
                            My car isn’t super heavy (3071 lbs, with stock weight muffler and the back seat still in) 😜

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i
                            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by F1Dryvr View Post
                              Ive been wondering about this, since im dumping ~800$ a year for my car on liability only insurance plus registration fees to sit in a garage and it only ever does shakedowns in an industrial park.
                              Yeah I'm at about that amount as well. Spread out over a year, it is a bit more palatable...but still, that's a set of tires!

Comment

Working...
                              X