Clutch for Track only car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch for Track only car?

I seem to have roasted my clutch at my last event, probably due to a problem with assembly. After rebuilding my engine, i couldn't get the metal pivot pin all the way seated in the bell housing, it had probably 2mm to go to be fully seated. Seemed like that wouldn't affect anything but maybe i was wrong. Also i never knew i needed to reset the self adjusting clutch before reinstall, so that also could have been my issue. The pedal stayed halfway depressed after a downshift, luckily at the end of the day and the engagement after that was very stiff but it still drove and changed gear....all until putting it on the trailer where it had enough and groaned and blew a huge cloud of clutch smoke just as i got it on the trailer.

Question is what kind of clutch to replace with? I don't make that much more power over stock so i don't necessarily need any friction upgrade, but the SAC and DMF don't seem to be necessary and i don't have any preference for noise or chatter since its track only and is already miserable to drive on the street. So im thinking of doing the SMF and non adjusting clutch kit. Would this be considered preferable on a track car??

Also i know the JB racing and tilton clutches seem to be well liked on here, but i dont want to lighten the fly wheel for the risk of vibration damper problems.

Anyone have any input?

TIA

I think the OEM clutch is fine. The SAC really doesn’t affect anything. The only part I’d really want to upgrade is the throwout bearing. I’ve seen that fail more than a clutch.

I have a 5 speed swap, I run the JB flywheel, E34 M5 clutch and the OE luk pressure plate. Hasn’t been an issue for about 6k track miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a new oe tib in there what part would be considered an upgrade?

Yeah my clutch disc had 150k miles on it and lots of track miles and looked almost new. Doubt that's the case now.

I want to do the 5 speed swap but not ready for that expense yet.

Comment

Originally posted by F1Dryvr View Post
        I have a new oe tib in there what part would be considered an upgrade?

Yeah my clutch disc had 150k miles on it and lots of track miles and looked almost new. Doubt that's the case now.

I want to do the 5 speed swap but not ready for that expense yet.
        Likely break even or will be close when you factor in selling the 6 speed stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When mine blew I put a tilton twin disc in it and loved it.

Yes its noisy.

Yes its an on/off switch.

But on track it was amazing.

Would never get it for a street car though.

Comment

Agreed on the tilton twin disc. One of my favorite parts on my car.

Comment

Originally posted by eternaln View Post
              Agreed on the tilton twin disc. One of my favorite parts on my car.
              Are you guys not concerned about vibration damper failure w/ the lighter flywheel? No idea if thats a legitimate concern, but my car lives on track and above 4k rpm if at all possible, and my damper has 155k on it already. I can shift my stock system pretty much instantly up and down and like i said my clutch had considerable life left when i last looked at it last fall. Maybe you could describe why the tilton is one of your favorite parts?

Comment

Working...
              X