Which lexan windows are you running?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which lexan windows are you running?

I'm at the point where it is time to select some windows for my track car project and I am curious to know what you all are running on your track cars?

Looking like Five Star Racecar Bodies is the most popular:

Proprietary optical grade polycarbonate window for the right rear quarter on E46 2-door coupe models.

Proprietary optical grade polycarbonate window for the left rear quarter on E46 2-door coupe models.

Thoughts? Any other options that I should be looking at?

Thanks!
    Instagram: M3Journal

I bought a windshield and back window from Five Star Bodies. I got a custom size that is 1/8 thinner than what they normally sell.

Be prepared...you will likely need to brace the windshield and rear windows. Mine were flexing quite at speeds over 80mph. The passenger side still bows in and it scares most passengers...only if I cared more to put another brace on the windshield. My braces were an after thought. Could have made something better if I planned ahead.

I had these installed by a normal auto glass guy like a normal window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'll probably go with the standard thickness for the rear window. For the front, I'll probably go with a stock windshield.

Do you have many scratches on the windows due to cleaning and rocks, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by M3logik View Post
        Thanks for the input. I'll probably go with the standard thickness for the rear window. For the front, I'll probably go with a stock windshield.

It’s been 4 years and it still looks good.

Comment

I would not recommend the poly side rear quarter panels from Hard Motorsport. The attachment hardware is great but the fit is fair at best.

2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
          [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh1179 View Post
            I would not recommend the poly side rear quarter panels from Hard Motorsport. The attachment hardware is great but the fit is fair at best.

Par for the course for anything Hard MoSpo. I avoid them at all costs.
            2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
            2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post

Right!? I feel like more people need to know about this. Perhaps they do. I bought their molded door panels knowing that they provided a caveat about "fitment issues." Hilarity ensued. I tried to install them and the fitment was a joke. Contrary to my best judgement I took the car to a body shop where they called me a couple days later and said it would take them a half a day to "look decent." I use them under my oil change pan now to catch any splashes or drips. They are doing very well in that role.

The scariest part of the entire thing is they sell a carbon fiber version of the panels. I legitimately feel bad for someone who purchases the early run of those, as they are presumably based on the same cast as the others.
              [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh1179 View Post

Right!? I feel like more people need to know about this. Perhaps they do. I bought their molded door panels knowing that they provided a caveat about "fitment issues." Hilarity ensued. I tried to install them and the fitment was a joke. Contrary to my best judgement I took the car to a body shop where they called me a couple days later and said it would take them a half a day to "look decent." I use them under my oil change pan now to catch any splashes or drips. They are doing very well in that role.

The scariest part of the entire thing is they sell a carbon fiber version of the panels. I legitimately feel bad for someone who purchases the early run of those, as they are presumably based on the same cast as the others.
                I wrote Hard Motorsports off awhile ago

Comment

If anything you’d want lexan on the windshield since it is shatterproof.

Comment

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post

Hah I thought it was just me! I avoid them now as well. Everything I have from them is garbage, bar the HVAC panel, that fit well enough. I don't buy from them anymore though.
                    '02 e46m3 - fully caged track car
                    many others

Comment

Five Star Bodies.

Comment

Ended up going with the Five Star Racecar Bodies windows (rear + quarter).

What glue are you all using? Also, I'm seeing no rivets for the rear window. I suppose they are not required?

Comment

Ended up going with the Five Star Racecar Bodies windows (rear + quarter).

What glue are you all using? Also, I'm seeing no rivets for the rear window. I suppose they are not required?
                          You can just install the back window like normal glass with an adhesive. You may want to brace it if it starts to flex too much at high speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

You can just install the back window like normal glass with an adhesive. You may want to brace it if it starts to flex too much at high speeds.

Thanks for the input my man. Will provide some updates once it is in.

Comment

Hard Motorsport. Hate them. Clever attachment design. Hilarious fit. (Rear Quarters)

Comment

Working...
                              X