Cheap, long lasting track tire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap, long lasting track tire?

Hello all. I am currently running a 255/35/18 square setup on my car. I have been using federal rs-rr’s now for 2 seasons with some pretty good results. My first season I got 8 track days, along with driving to and from the track before I got to the cords. Second season I got 6. This season, I have gone to two events now and have worn them faster then I typically like to see. I may be able to get 4 events if track temps are a bit cooler. I also see the price for these tires has gone up so I can’t really find a set for 500 bucks anymore.

anyone have a recommendation for a tire that would last a bit longer. Im not looking to set records FYI. I am debating to drop down to a 260 tread-wear tire but unsure if it’s worth it

I run NT01s because they last ~forever, and stay pretty much the same until you see cord.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
      I run NT01s because they last ~forever, and stay pretty much the same until you see cord.
      +1 for the Nitto's they actually seem to get better as they wear.

Comment

The best way to get a tire to last longer is to drive slower.

I like NT01s only for the reason that I got 6-8 days of fairly fast laps out of them when the car was over 3000lbs (no fuel/no driver). Now that I’m much lighter (400+ lbs) I get 10 days from NT01 running lap times about 6-8 seconds faster on a 2.4mi course. I’ve tossed my last 2 sets of NT01 because they heat cycle out although they were about a session or two from cording.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Another vote for NT01. If only I could find them in my size right now. I get darn near 5-6 events out of them before I cord.

Comment

Also, the tires will last longer if you take some toe out of the front and rear.

Comment

Surprised nobody has mentioned the Hankook RS4s. Great wear and grip.

Comment

Maxxis RC1 would last way longer for me than an nt01. Cost is pretty much the same, but I would get close to 2x the useful life. I also got 25 heat cycles absolute max out of nt01s. The maxxis I would get 40 with seemingly plenty of tread and just replace them as they had lost a step or two. I prefer the "feel" of the NT01. They were more forgiving of general sloppiness and poor heat management. The RC1 prefer a more precise line in my experience.

Hankook RS4 is also a great tire that gives up a bit of grip to the RC1 and NT01, but last a loong time. We use them on our endurance miata and have plenty of life after a full weekend of 2x 8 hour races.

Comment

My Federal FZ-201M's from phils tire service are showing good wear. I'd say the NT01 is still king for longevity though.

Comment

Hankook RS4
                    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by lcrain View Post
                      Maxxis RC1 would last way longer for me than an nt01. Cost is pretty much the same, but I would get close to 2x the useful life. I also got 25 heat cycles absolute max out of nt01s. The maxxis I would get 40 with seemingly plenty of tread and just replace them as they had lost a step or two. I prefer the "feel" of the NT01. They were more forgiving of general sloppiness and poor heat management. The RC1 prefer a more precise line in my experience.

Hankook RS4 is also a great tire that gives up a bit of grip to the RC1 and NT01, but last a loong time. We use them on our endurance miata and have plenty of life after a full weekend of 2x 8 hour races.
                      Which compound on the RC1? I’m waiting for the updated compound for the 275/40R17. How much faster are the RC1s vs NT01s? I’ve heard about 1-2 sec on most tracks.

The NT01s are like a street tire in regards to its breakaway characteristics. Much more progressive. They like holding a slide vs the BFG R1, Hankook Z2142 and the various scrub tires I’ve used.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Which compound on the RC1? I’m waiting for the updated compound for the 275/40R17. How much faster are the RC1s vs NT01s? I’ve heard about 1-2 sec on most tracks.

The NT01s are like a street tire in regards to its breakaway characteristics. Much more progressive. They like holding a slide vs the BFG R1, Hankook Z2142 and the various scrub tires I’ve used.

I have only used the original RC1, not the new version. I saw similar times with nt01 and rc1 in my car, but never did any sort of real back to back testing. I would certainly say the nt01 is more progressive and street-tire like as you break traction. The RC1 would just push when over driven, in my experience, where the nt01 seemed to almost prefer some level of slip. As far as feel, I preferred the nt01, but the longevity of the RC1 was compelling for me when I was running mostly DEs.

Comment

Still having trouble finding NT01s. Discount Tire Direct said they called Nitto for me and apparently NT01s are getting ready to go back into production and should be available late September early October. Interested to hear if there are any more opinions on the Maxxis RC1s. Currently running Tokyo R888Rs and disappointed in times. Seem to be a couple seconds a lap slower than my trusty NT01s. Still fun and easy to drive. Not showing much wear after a three day at Mid Ohio.

Comment

I've from a good source the Toyo R888R wear like iron but doesn't quite have the pace of the NT01. Reach out to TrackDayTire.com.

Use Sponsorship Code at checkout for special pricing  CREATE OR LOG IN TO YOUR TRACKDAYTIRE.COM ACCOUNT TO MANAGE YOUR HPDE REWARDS $$  TAKE A PIC OR SCAN AND E-MAIL YOUR TOYO BUCKS CERTIFICATES TO USE THEM FOR PURCHASE *WE HAVE MULTIPLE WAREHOUSES THAT STOCK TOYO TIRES IN THE U.S. IN GENERAL, IN TRANSIT SHIPPING TIME FOR MOST TOYO'S IS WITHIN 1-2 DAYS GROUND VIA  DOT COMPETITION TIRE - Treadwear 100 The Proxes R888R is an evolution of the race-winning Proxes R888, delivering even faster lap times and better dry handling. The credit goes to a new tread design and an improved contact patch that puts more rubber on the track. Racers will also appreciate the predictable handling and how quickly the Proxes R888R reaches optimal operating temperature. *Caution: Recommended for competition events only. **Due to Current Product Backorders/Shortage, Please Call/Email/Text us before ordering to confirm inventory status as this changes on a daily basis. Email: sales@trackdaytire.com / Call or Text: 423-612-5130**

Feff
                            MVP Track Time

Comment

I have found the R888Rs get super greasy ~15 minutes into the session.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i
                              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X