No announcement yet.

Cheap, long lasting track tire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is everyone looking to purchase this season? federal RS-pro looks good and so does the Federal fz-201 Mediums.

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey_M3 View Post
      What is everyone looking to purchase this season? federal RS-pro looks good and so does the Federal fz-201 Mediums.
      RS PRO didn't do so hot for me https://youtu.be/MRISkltfBwQ

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
        RS PRO didn't do so hot for me https://youtu.be/MRISkltfBwQ

Wow. Did you try and replace them under warranty?

Comment

Last season I was running fz201 m’s very happy with them got 42 sessions out them which is far more than any other tire like re71r or RT-660 lasted me. I thinking of ordering another set, but they went up in price a bit since last year was able to get 285 set for $700 now it’s closer to $900

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

Wow. Did you try and replace them under warranty?
            Short-ish version is yes, but it got a bit ridiculous (they obviously don't want to just replace them for free). I dealt with a distributor who shipped the originals to my house and then I took them loose with wheels to a local tire shop. Had to work via the distributor as middle man in the process, after a bit of a runaround I dropped it. They wanted write ups and pictures from shops to measure the tire condition, proof of latest alignment after the delamination, inspection of any recent collision/body work, inspection and condition of control arms/bushings/suspension components, etc. It became a real pain in the rear. Guys who installed the tires and did the tire condition write up were super friendly, but said they rarely see these warranty claims succeed. Also told me not to mention track time (that claim would have gotten thrown out without any consideration), because these are dot street tires, so where in the f would I be driving like that on the streets (with -3 degrees camber) to cause that delamination, etc.

All this said, have a friend running those tires for several years and he loves them for the price. Maybe I had a bad batch, but i moved on.

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
              Short-ish version is yes, but it got a bit ridiculous (they obviously don't want to just replace them for free). I dealt with a distributor who shipped the originals to my house and then I took them loose with wheels to a local tire shop. Had to work via the distributor as middle man in the process, after a bit of a runaround I dropped it. They wanted write ups and pictures from shops to measure the tire condition, proof of latest alignment after the delamination, inspection of any recent collision/body work, inspection and condition of control arms/bushings/suspension components, etc. It became a real pain in the rear. Guys who installed the tires and did the tire condition write up were super friendly, but said they rarely see these warranty claims succeed. Also told me not to mention track time (that claim would have gotten thrown out without any consideration), because these are dot street tires, so where in the f would I be driving like that on the streets (with -3 degrees camber) to cause that delamination, etc.

All this said, have a friend running those tires for several years and he loves them for the price. Maybe I had a bad batch, but i moved on.

Damn, that is not fun. Sounds like they know how to avoid giving you a refund or new tires. Ive been looking at the Federal fz-201 Mediums after reading your comment. Seems like I can get them for 744 shipped to my door at the moment. Thats only 170 dollars more then the Rs-RR I ran for 3 years at ~$600. Probably the direction ill be headed. With 2/3 other members quoting ~36 sessions on them, they seem to be the right choice for me.... I hope.

Comment

Damn, that is not fun. Sounds like they know how to avoid giving you a refund or new tires. Ive been looking at the Federal fz-201 Mediums after reading your comment. Seems like I can get them for 744 shipped to my door at the moment. Thats only 170 dollars more then the Rs-RR I ran for 3 years at ~$600. Probably the direction ill be headed. With 2/3 other members quoting ~36 sessions on them, they seem to be the right choice for me.... I hope.
                I got 42 sessions out of fz201m’s just ordered second set 😁

Comment

Originally posted by Radekxpl View Post

I got 42 sessions out of fz201m’s just ordered second set 😁

WTF? 42 sessions is a lot! I have the same tires on with about 15 sessions in and they’re still going strong. If I end up getting as much life out of them that would be a great selling point for these tires. However, they’re nowhere near as fast as the Yoko a052s that I was running before. I managed to get ~35 sessions out of those but past 30 they were getting a bit sketchy

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_P View Post

WTF? 42 sessions is a lot! I have the same tires on with about 15 sessions in and they’re still going strong. If I end up getting as much life out of them that would be a great selling point for these tires. However, they’re nowhere near as fast as the Yoko a052s that I was running before. I managed to get ~35 sessions out of those but past 30 they were getting a bit sketchy
                    Yea that’s what I thought at first never expected them to last this long. Toward the end they definitely don’t have as much grip as when their at their peak. Don’t have any experience with a052 but they are definitely as fast re71r if not faster easily matched my regular times at tracks I attended prior with re71r some improved alot by but that could be due to getting more familiar with particular venue.

Comment

Working...
                    X