Tire good for Street or Track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire good for Street or Track

What is a good street tire that is also good on the track? We tend to get a lot of rain also in south Florida. I have a 2005 M3 Coupe 6sp

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

Comment

Price
      Grip
      Longevity

Pick two, that will guide your answer
      2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
      ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

Define street. Four season use? Three season? Summer only?

Comment

Summer tire good in the rain and 4-6 times a year for track days.

Comment

Originally posted by riderosa View Post
            Summer tire good in the rain and 4-6 times a year for track days.
            RS4

RE71

Pilot Sport Cup 2s

Issue is that in the rain you really need to pay attention to the tread depth as that is what gives you wet grip. A tire that will work great in the dry on the wear bars will not work well in the rain and you’ll be sliding everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by foolio View Post
              Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
              This, but careful with the shoulders. Might not be an issue if you're not going balls out, though.
              '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
                This, but careful with the shoulders. Might not be an issue if you're not going balls out, though.
                Hmm, could you elaborate on this?
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Hmm, could you elaborate on this?
                  The outer 1/3 of the tread is a soft compound, whereas the inner 2/3 are a harder compound. This is why PSS and PS4S get such good life despite the cornering abilities. But, on a track -- especially one with long sweepers or carousels -- riding the shoulders will shred the tires on the outside. I've thrown away a few sets of PS4S because the shoulders were corded while the insides look ok.

Part of that is also camber requirements. You can mitigate this by running an aggressive alignment, but putting load on those outside shoulders in a race situation will not be kind to them.
                  '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

The outer 1/3 of the tread is a soft compound, whereas the inner 2/3 are a harder compound. This is why PSS and PS4S get such good life despite the cornering abilities. But, on a track -- especially one with long sweepers or carousels -- riding the shoulders will shred the tires on the outside. I've thrown away a few sets of PS4S because the shoulders were corded while the insides look ok.

Part of that is also camber requirements. You can mitigate this by running an aggressive alignment, but putting load on those outside shoulders in a race situation will not be kind to them.
                    Ah I see, thanks for the explanation!

Asking cause I plan on running my PS4Ss at an upcoming track day. Have a decent amount of street miles and a track day on them already, tires still have plenty of life left. I'm still a total track noob though, so I'll probably be fine for now
                    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Yup, you are right, should also have mentioned that. I’ve had more than a few friends cord out Michelin’s at the track in one weekend. To be honest though, not sure I can think of a good street tire that will also Go 5-6 events and still be good as a street tire after the 3rd event. Maybe Nitto NT05’s? But they would be noisy as hell off track.

Comment

Working...
                      X