Spring rate for MCS 2 ways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring rate for MCS 2 ways

Curious what you all are running for spring rates on MCS 2wnr’s? I pulled the trigger on a good deal that comes with 800f / 900r and I think they’ll be a bit too stiff for my liking. I figured I would end up getting new springs for them anyway. The previous owner mentioned this set up came off of his E46 and was ok for the street. Seeing if anyone else could chime in on their spring rates and track/street experience with them.

these will be going on my E46 M3 (no aero & no plans to do aero) which I drive on occasional weekends but majority of my driving is on track.

That is 14kg/mm / 16kg/mm springs, which is fairly aggressive on the street, but I'd expect them to feel at home on the track. The Ohlin's road & track are 400f / 628r (7kg/mm / 11kg/mm respectively) to give you an idea.
    E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
    Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
      Curious what you all are running for spring rates on MCS 2wnr’s? I pulled the trigger on a good deal that comes with 800f / 900r and I think they’ll be a bit too stiff for my liking. I figured I would end up getting new springs for them anyway. The previous owner mentioned this set up came off of his E46 and was ok for the street. Seeing if anyone else could chime in on their spring rates and track/street experience with them.

these will be going on my E46 M3 (no aero & no plans to do aero) which I drive on occasional weekends but majority of my driving is on track.
      Daniel:

My 2001 M3 race car with MCS runs Eibach 2.5" interior diameter at 700 pounds (6" length) front and 950 pounds (5" length) rear. Rears were somewhat lighter (750 pounds if memory serves me correctly) until late last year, at James Clay's suggestion and it made a significant difference with handling and getting the power down exiting corners.

Feff
      MVP Track Time

Comment

Originally posted by Feffman View Post

Daniel:

My 2001 M3 race car with MCS runs Eibach 2.5" interior diameter at 700 pounds (6" length) front and 950 pounds (5" length) rear. Rears were somewhat lighter (750 pounds if memory serves me correctly) until late last year, at James Clay's suggestion and it made a significant difference with handling and getting the power down exiting corners.

Feff

Thanks for the feedback.

are you running aero on your car & what tires?

Comment

are you running aero on your car & what tires?
          Daniel:

Aero includes a flat spllitter up front and a wing in the rear. I rotate between Nitto NT01 for track days and Hoosier R7 for races.

Feff
          MVP Track Time

Comment

On my MSCs: Hyperco springs, 600# 5" fronts and 700# 5" rears

I'd like to try and keep the softish setup I have, but I also may have added too much aero 🤔. We'll see when the tracks open up again...whenever that happens.
            '02 e46m3 - fully caged track car
            many others

Comment

Finally installed my 2 way non remotes with 800/900 spring rate. Car feels great and is certainly not too harsh on the road. I’ve got the dampers set to 7 rebound & 6 compression front & rear. Really pleased with this set up.

now if I can decide on what brake set up to get

Comment

OP, Where are you located? (IE: What condition are the street roads you drive on).

How are the rates you chose working>?

Comment

Originally posted by Exclusivs View Post
                  OP, Where are you located? (IE: What condition are the street roads you drive on).

How are the rates you chose working>?
                  I'm in the bay area -- The MCS 2WNR dampers handle the stiff spring rates much better than I anticipated. Definitely tolerable on the streets around here...

Comment

I'm in the bay area -- The MCS 2WNR dampers handle the stiff spring rates much better than I anticipated. Definitely tolerable on the streets around here...
                    Nice! Thats high end dampers doing their job! Good stuff

Comment

I'm a casual HPDE driver on 200TW tires, and I use 6" 350F and 325LR/300RR on MCS 1WNR with rear coilovers. Accounting for the motion ratio in the rear, that'd be something like 650RL/600RR on factory perches. I keep them near the bottom of their adjustability - 1 or 2 clicks.

Car's a bit under 3000lbs wet (still has carpets!) with the battery in the passenger's bin (hence the light right rear). Medium setting Hotchkis front sway and no rear bar. 13.5"F/13" rear on stock arms. 3.2*F/2.4*R camber.

Not sure if I'll need more spring rate for NT01s in the future, but it's just about perfect for my current use case. FWIW I started at 600F/350R before I was indoctrinated into Flat Earth theory, but ended up preferring the lower spring rate in the front.

Comment

Working...
                      X