No announcement yet.

Lets Talk Oil Coolers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final report, got 2 sessions on track in yesterday before the SMG decided to go all ... well, SMG.

Anyway, I can confirm the stock gauge is pretty much useless. When the real gauge shows 190 the stock gauge is passing 210. Anything beyond that and it's all over the map. I can say, even after letting the car fully rev out (I mean fully, like limiter in 3rd and 4th) all session, my oil temps never passed 215*. It was a 25* cooler day out, but still that is crazy how far off the stock gauge is. It was showing nearly 250 when the real gauge showed 210.

Conclusion, the CSF cooler along with the oil tstat delete will definitely be enough and I'm not going to change the cooler setup now.

Now I just need to decide, fix the SMG or put pedal #3 in.
    '02 e46m3 - fully caged track car
    many others

Comment

Originally posted by pMak26 View Post
      ...Now I just need to decide, fix the SMG or put pedal #3 in.
      I'd say add pedal #3

Feff
      MVP Track Time

Comment

Anyway, I can confirm the stock gauge is pretty much useless.
        Well that's disappointing. Where/how did you install your temp sensor?

Comment

Originally posted by elbert View Post

I had a sensor in the oil pan, it read the same as the OE gauge.

I think it would be most useful to take a differential temp through the cooler overlaid against RPMs. IMO, when someone says my temps are at X, that mostly doesn't mean very much. I can drive the stock system to stay around 220-230. I can also drive the stock system to 300. The difference will be what gear I'm in, time on throttle, and shift points.

I took a differential temp on the radiator and it gave me data on how well the old OE radiator worked vs a new CSF and the effect of removing the fans. I wish I left the senders in place so I can measure how well modifications to the OE ducting works...might get back to that at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by elbert View Post

I put the temp sensor where the OEM oil pressure sensor was and moved the pressure sensor to the (previously unused) port right next to it. Super easy.
            '02 e46m3 - fully caged track car
            many others

Comment

I put the temp sensor where the OEM oil pressure sensor was and moved the pressure sensor to the (previously unused) port right next to it. Super easy.
              The OE sensor is in the pan so the reading will be different. If you put the sensor in the pan then it will be pretty much spot on.0

Comment

Working...
              X