Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did I get full life out of these PFC 331 Front Pads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I get full life out of these PFC 331 Front Pads?

This weekend, at VIR, I pulled the front pads after seeing they were worn down to 2.5-4mm of pad material remaining. Did I get full use out of these?

I couldn't find a minimum thickness spec online.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0555.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.9 KB ID:	265944

And then some.

Comment

I keep going until I hit the backing plate 😂

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedCommie View Post
        I keep going until I hit the backing plate 😂

So much for thermal capacity...

Comment

Definitely had another lap.

Funny...that's how my rear pads look like. Been like that for about 4 events.

Comment

I change mine too often probably... but brake & pedal feel at that point would be horrible no!?

Comment

Originally posted by fourmula1 View Post
              brake & pedal feel at that point would be horrible no!?
              Yes, after installing new pads, braking and pedal feel improved.

Comment

You probably understand this now and Not that I haven't ever done that, but I try not to ever run them that low.
                Also, I inspect all of my students cars before going on track to make sure they have good pad life. Some I have actually made them replace pads like that or even in better condition.
                FWIW: The time to realize you needed to replace the brakes is Not when you don't have any going into Turn 1
                Good luck with your driving and the car!
                In Chantilly if you ever need a hand.
                Dave Hill

Comment

Brembos guys, where do you get PFC pads for Brembo's?
                  2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
                  2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
                  2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

FCP Euro for the lifetime warranty. Just look up the Porsche model the brakes came off of.

For those with Stoptechs, the front brakes from a 928/944/968 will fit an ST40 caliper. Just be aware that an 18mm pad thickness will be too thick unless you're rotors are near min thickness.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                      FCP Euro for the lifetime warranty. Just look up the Porsche model the brakes came off of.

For those with Stoptechs, the front brakes from a 928/944/968 will fit an ST40 caliper. Just be aware that an 18mm pad thickness will be too thick unless you're rotors are near min thickness.
                      Ok thanks. So this is for the Brembo GT kit. So essentially figure out what model Porsche uses the Monoblock M and Lotus calipers from brembo?
                      2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
                      2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
                      2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

Originally posted by SandeepM3 View Post

Ok thanks. So this is for the Brembo GT kit. So essentially figure out what model Porsche uses the Monoblock M and Lotus calipers from brembo?
                        It takes a little research but yes, match the pad shape code. Zeckhausen is good for this since they list the pad shape code on most of the pads.

Comment

OK...

How about these pads? There are 4 track days, 2 at VIR and 2 at Summit Main on these PFC 331 front pads. Thickness varies from the thinnest at 4mm to the thickest at 7.5mm. I've got to put new rotors on due to cracking, so that is factoring in to my determination on whether or not to change pads. 4 days isn't enough! 😭 I think I need to get some more out of these!

Regarding the irregular wear on the pads and rotor, here is the spec: Stock Caliper, ECS Tuning Caliper Bracket for the ZCP 345mm rotor (Zimmerman), and BW solid brass brake caliper guide bushings.

PS: I'm going to test an aftermarket brake cooling solution to see if that helps.
                          Last edited by OldRanger; 07-17-2024, 03:38 PM.

Comment

If you're going to put the car on track, a stoptech 4 wheel BBK will pay for itself over time. I have over 100 track days on my Stoptech setup. I get about 10 days on pads and I've replaced 2 friction rings.

So I've spent about $4000 on brakes over 100 days.

I think you'll easily run through pads twice as fast and rotors MUCH faster. Assuming $250 per set of pads, that's $5,000 in just front pads. Plus rear pads - $2000?. Figure 3-4 sets of rotors? $2000?

So $9000 to run OE brakes over 100 days. Stoptechs are $6k for the BBK and $4k in consumables. You almost break even.

Let's not mention that with the Stoptechs I can bleed the brakes every 6 months with OE BMW brake fluid and never have an issue or bleed with Motul every 12 months. The OE brakes will require you to use a more expensive fluid and bleed it more often.

And the biggest savings is less lost track time and the convenience of not having to mess with brakes at the track.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                              So I've spent about $4000 on brakes over 100 days.
                              Thanks for the data bigjae46

Your estimate on running OE brakes is close to mine. For me the OEM caliper, PFC 331/332 and stock ZCP rotors (factoring in the FCP warranty on rotors) are still running me about $95/track day. That includes bleeding the brakes with .5L of Motul 600, typically every two days.

There are other costs in time/labor to maintain the OE system seals at an interval of 15-20 track days.

For the sake of conversation about costs…in our experience it looks like the break-even point on a $6K BBK is about 90-100 track days.

Comment

Working...
                              X