Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E46 M3 Fuel Starvation During Hard Cornering (Ideas for solutions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 M3 Fuel Starvation During Hard Cornering (Ideas for solutions)

I'm sure all of us are aware of our cars seemingly nonsensical starvation issue. And I say that because some completely OEM cars can run it down to almost empty without issue, others starve at 1/8 all the way up to 1/2 tank! I have always had the starvation issue, when all components were OEM I would starve around 3/8 tank. Since my last major time on track I changed out the stock fuel pump for a Walbro with the Radium install kit. This was to allow for full use of e85. I also added aero and lightened it up a bit so g-forces were up quite a bit, now I'm starting to starve just above 1/2 tank. This time it starts as small little hiccups in power where before it was really noticeable prolonged cutouts. I should mention on the street I can run my car to basically empty no problem.

There are a few solutions I'm considering and I am curious if there is some feedback from the community.

1. The BW fuel starvation kit - Pretty well accepted option but mixed reviews, some people say it makes no difference some cars it really helps.

2. Holley Hydramat - This is an option I'm really researching right now as I feel like it really addresses the issue. It is neat technology and they say it works well in OEM fuel tanks, some research needed to really iron out the install. Anyone try this?

3. Radium surge tank - Most expensive option and hardest to package, but would definitely fix the issue.

Any one have any other methods they've tried with good results?

Originally posted by Apex_80 View Post
    I'm sure all of us are aware of our cars seemingly nonsensical starvation issue. And I say that because some completely OEM cars can run it down to almost empty without issue, others starve at 1/8 all the way up to 1/2 tank! I have always had the starvation issue, when all components were OEM I would starve around 3/8 tank. Since my last major time on track I changed out the stock fuel pump for a Walbro with the Radium install kit. This was to allow for full use of e85. I also added aero and lightened it up a bit so g-forces were up quite a bit, now I'm starting to starve just above 1/2 tank. This time it starts as small little hiccups in power where before it was really noticeable prolonged cutouts. I should mention on the street I can run my car to basically empty no problem.

There are a few solutions I'm considering and I am curious if there is some feedback from the community.

1. The BW fuel starvation kit - Pretty well accepted option but mixed reviews, some people say it makes no difference some cars it really helps.

2. Holley Hydramat - This is an option I'm really researching right now as I feel like it really addresses the issue. It is neat technology and they say it works well in OEM fuel tanks, some research needed to really iron out the install. Anyone try this?

3. Radium surge tank - Most expensive option and hardest to package, but would definitely fix the issue.

Any one have any other methods they've tried with good results?
    I was experiencing the same issues as you. I would fill up to 1/2 tank for a 30 minute HPDE run. And 10 minutes in would get fuel cut in high-G turns. Installed BW kit and no issues so far.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

I was experiencing the same issues as you. I would fill up to 1/2 tank for a 30 minute HPDE run. And 10 minutes in would get fuel cut in high-G turns. Installed BW kit and no issues so far.
      Same for me. BW kit completely solved the starvation issue. It used to starve in right hand sweepers starting around 1/2 tank. Since install, I've come off the track and added 15 gallons without overfilling. Unfortunately, my gas gauge no longer works as a result. I've read that some people get it working with gauge but I haven't had any luck.

Comment

Hmmm interesting, most non-M guys have said that swapping in the M3 fuel pump baffle pretty much cured starvation issues. I'm looking to buy one second-hand (because BMW wants $90 for that 1 piece of plastic) so I can swap that into my ZHP. I had starvation on sweeping right handers at 1/2 tank

Comment

Originally posted by Randall921 View Post

Same for me. BW kit completely solved the starvation issue. It used to starve in right hand sweepers starting around 1/2 tank. Since install, I've come off the track and added 15 gallons without overfilling. Unfortunately, my gas gauge no longer works as a result. I've read that some people get it working with gauge but I haven't had any luck.
          How long ago did you get the BW kit? They seemed to have fixed the fuel gauge issue

Comment

I remember seeing something about that. Just checked BW's site and it looks like they updated their instructions to be more clear about wiring.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Intake-F...ation-Kit.html
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Sometimes, the siphon jet pump on the driver's side level sender unit can become detached. There is a small tab that hold the siphon jet pump tube to the level sender unit and it can fatigue and break after a few years. Once it is disconnected, fuel will no longer be delivered from the driver's side to the passenger side of the fuel tank where the pump is located. This will cause fuel starvation at anything below 3/8ths of a tank especially on exiting right hand turns. The car can also run out of fuel below a 1/4 tank if the fuel gets stuck on the driver's side.

Comment

How long ago did you get the BW kit? They seemed to have fixed the fuel gauge issue
                About 3 years ago. That’s good to know, maybe I’ll give them a call to see if they have a solution.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

I remember seeing something about that. Just checked BW's site and it looks like they updated their instructions to be more clear about wiring.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Intake-F...ation-Kit.html
                  Or just check out their website rather than call. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                    Sometimes, the siphon jet pump on the driver's side level sender unit can become detached. There is a small tab that hold the siphon jet pump tube to the level sender unit and it can fatigue and break after a few years. Once it is disconnected, fuel will no longer be delivered from the driver's side to the passenger side of the fuel tank where the pump is located. This will cause fuel starvation at anything below 3/8ths of a tank especially on exiting right hand turns. The car can also run out of fuel below a 1/4 tank if the fuel gets stuck on the driver's side.
                    This is very true, but if the siphon jet fails it will also run out of fuel during normal driving, mine is fine in that situation.

Comment

Has anybody confirmed if the updated BW pump does register the level correctly? Also, what is everybody using for replacement fuel pumps? OEM is $400+. This is about the only part left in my car I haven't replaced yet. I only get fuel starve at 1/8.

Comment

I installed the BW kit after they made that fuel guage claim, yes i followed the instructions to a T. I drove around town through 2 nearly full tanks of gas with the gauge reacting appropriately and then the first time i put it on track the gauge sticks at half full with a full tank. it seems to register the fuel level at half a tank and below but not above, so no it doesnt seem to work that well. Also the BW pump seems to bind the bottom of the tank somewhat no matter what orientation i have it, im not sure if that is the reason for the gauge not working, but i have not encountered fuel starvation so theres that.

FWIW, Parts that I have tried from BW that have failed miserably at their jobs: This Fuel Starve kit(gauge), BW Trackcabs(fitment), BW Oil Line -10AN Fitting(fitment-disconnected on track and lost all oil), Oil Distribution block(fitment), i feel like theres more.

Comment

Yeah that's what I was worried about. Thanks for the input!

Comment

Ditto here. My car lives on a race track. I installed the Bimmerworld fuel starvation kit several years ago and it solved the problem immediately. The fuel gauge isn't accurate when full but as it burns off fuel, it's fine.

Feff
                            MVP Track Time

Comment

I'm still having the same starvation issues after installing the BW kit. Once my tank is near 1/4 mark, starvation issues occur...

Comment

Working...
                              X