Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early '01 M3... Good track car candidate or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early '01 M3... Good track car candidate or not?

Hey guys, another thread about the differences between early and later cars got me thinking... Before I jump in and really start building my car, is it even a good candidate? The biggest thing I'm confused about is the MK20 ABS system, and how it sounds like some people are very vocal about how bad it is. So what I'm wondering is, if some of you guys can speak from experience tracking an early '01 and let me know what you think?

I have a pretty good amount of seat time under my belt in my E36, as well as a couple Honda track cars I used to own. I've definitely experienced ABS failure and gone 4 off as a result lol. All of those cars are 3 channel ABS if I'm not mistaken, so I'm just wondering what the deal really is with "ice mode" in the context of the E46 chassis.

Other details:
    Current daily driver. Somewhat rough cosmetically, has accident history, etc... Bought it long distance and sight unseen. LESSON LEARNED. Not worth trying to save/clean up.
    102k miles
    Will be getting bearings and VANOS addressed shortly, will for sure do these both before tracking.
    Has subframe plates installed w/epoxy. Planning on adding Vince Bar or PureTech bar before tracking.
    I already own the car, and it's not going to be easy to sell without taking a big loss vs. what I (over) paid for it. So I'd rather just keep it for that reason.

Lemme know what you guys think. Here's a photo where you can't really see how bad the paint is LOL.

http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
    '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
    '01 M3, Imola/black

I had an early 01 track car. Blast to drive. But on sticky tires (RE71) had to run with the DSC off. ABS was fine but the traction control was too invasive. I think it should make a fine track duty car if enough preventative care is put into it. Good luck!

Comment

I'd go MK60 if I had to it over again. My car has never stopped right.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
        I had an early 01 track car. Blast to drive. But on sticky tires (RE71) had to run with the DSC off. ABS was fine but the traction control was too invasive. I think it should make a fine track duty car if enough preventative care is put into it. Good luck!
        Right on, I'm fine with running without ASC entirely.

Originally posted by CrookedCommie View Post
        I'd go MK60 if I had to it over again. My car has never stopped right.
        Can you expand on that a little, like what does it do that you don't like?
        '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

If you're going to run without the DSC on, there's not much to be gained by wishing you had a MK60 car. The primary benefit of that system is being able to run with a functional DSC that doesn't interfere too often and can save you from getting into trouble.
          2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

Comment

Originally posted by Albino09 View Post
            If you're going to run without the DSC on, there's not much to be gained by wishing you had a MK60 car. The primary benefit of that system is being able to run with a functional DSC that doesn't interfere too often and can save you from getting into trouble.
            False. ABS is much better. The DSC does not turn off the ABS in either MK20 or MK60.

Comment

Originally posted by Albino09 View Post
              Concur with this assessment. MK60 allows you to code M-Track mode. Which is supposed to be a more forgiving traction control, but many also claim it intervenes too much.

I just coded it myself. Waiting for a track day to test it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

plus the MK60 unite you can send back to bosch for a customized DSC/ABS firmware upgrade too!
                2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
                2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post
                  plus the MK60 unite you can send back to bosch for a customized DSC/ABS firmware upgrade too!
                  Can you expand on this?
                  '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                  Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                  Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

there's some boutique shops that can 'hack' up the firmware of the ABS/DSC module. you provide some specific measurements of your car and they apply a custom program to your module. it's very popular in the racing community.
                    2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
                    2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post
                      there's some boutique shops that can 'hack' up the firmware of the ABS/DSC module. you provide some specific measurements of your car and they apply a custom program to your module. it's very popular in the racing community.
                      Which shops are those?
                      '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                      Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                      Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

That all sounds a bit more hardcore than anything I have in mind. I will probably be on sticky street tires and don't see the car ever having aero.
                        '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

Which shops are those?
                          https://3dmmotorsport.com/collection...standalone-abs

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                            That all sounds a bit more hardcore than anything I have in mind. I will probably be on sticky street tires and don't see the car ever having aero.
                            I personally would not go down the road of custom ABS unless you're trying to solve the serious issue. Anyway, I run a MK20 2001 M3 as a track car and have set some very fast laps with just tires and suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaunG View Post

I personally would not go down the road of custom ABS unless you're trying to solve the serious issue. Anyway, I run a MK20 2001 M3 as a track car and have set some very fast laps with just tires and suspension.
                              Do you run with DSC on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X