Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coolant expansion tank; How many still on their original?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolant expansion tank; How many still on their original?

No issues to report, just curious; How many guys are still on their original Coolant expansion tank & what mileage are you at?

The GENERAL consensus from all I've read, is the M3 doesn't have issues with expansion tank. Just looking to hear from members how robust these are, as there really aren't very many viable aftermarket units from what I've found.

It's probably cheap insurance to replace, and peace of mind too. Especially since its the 1 of the only parts of the entire system that isn't new.

Chime in!

Cheers!

Both cars still in original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Funny you should ask, I just replaced mine last week.
      I had replaced everything else in the cooling system two years ago, but didn't bother with the tank. Then I realized that the tank is now a 16 year old piece of plastic, and it seemed like a stupid risk for a measly $200 (tank + connecting hose).

Comment

Originally posted by elbert View Post
        Funny you should ask, I just replaced mine last week.
        I had replaced everything else in the cooling system two years ago, but didn't bother with the tank. Then I realized that the tank is now a 16 year old piece of plastic, and it seemed like a stupid risk for a measly $200 (tank + connecting hose).
        Exactly!

The worry isn’t street driving, hopeful (though shouldn’t speak too soon, season) - don’t want that to turn into an uh oh.

And thanks for reminding me on the connecting hose too.

Not looking Forward to bleeding system again. Maybe I’ll find a new justified tool to aid in the process lol.

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
        Both cars still in original.

Both at what mileage if you don’t mind?

Comment

Originally posted by Exclusivs View Post

Exactly!

The worry isn’t street driving, hopeful (though shouldn’t speak too soon, season) - don’t want that to turn into an uh oh.

And thanks for reminding me on the connecting hose too.

Not looking Forward to bleeding system again. Maybe I’ll find a new justified tool to aid in the process lol.

Both at what mileage if you don’t mind?

97k and 90k. Both track cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Exclusivs View Post

System is self bleeding (unless you have specific aftermarket parts), couldn't be any easier. There is no need for another tool.

Comment

Yep, bleeding couldn't be easier in this car. Open the screw and watch the bubbles come out. Sometimes the heater core acts up or on some aftermarket radiators bubbles get trapped in corners.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
                Open the screw and watch the bubbles come out. Sometimes the heater core acts up or on some aftermarket radiators bubbles get trapped in corners.
                Typically all you need to do is to open the heater valve (temp set at highest setting, fan at lowest speed), then *slowly* fill the tank. You shouldn't need to open the screw.

Comment

So went ahead and got a new expansion tank and connecting hose (thanks Elbert).

Comment

140k. Still on original. No issues to report.

Comment

135K all good so far.
                      TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
                      Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
                      Evolve Eventuri
                      - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

70,000km and extremely hot weather later still running the original. My Tech was like ah i think you really should get a new one, too risky rockin the original 70,000km and 16 years old. So i ordered a new one and should be here in a few days.

Comment

Kudos to the guys brave enough.

Having replaced every component of the system over a year ago. Expansion tank has held fine. But, relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

Working...
                          X