Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overheating on track. Looking for the definitive solution.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elbert View Post

Which water pump did you use?
    I used the Geba with metal impellar and had no issues. Others will recommend the OE (Saleri?) plastic impellar for better flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TACOM3EAT View Post

I’m actually curious if the residual smoke in the air from the Fort Collins fire was enough to be the straw that broke the cooling camels back. Altitude, heat and 8,200 RPM are cooling challenges plenty without the addition of thick smoky air. Just a thought.

I dunno, I was having just as bad overheating on Friday open lapping as I did with the smoky weekend. Is your car tuned? if so, by who?

Comment

Originally posted by S14 View Post

I dunno, I was having just as bad overheating on Friday open lapping as I did with the smoky weekend. Is your car tuned? if so, by who?
        Old 91 octane Evolve tune. Has run cool plenty in the past on that tune.

Comment

I highly recommend the csf oil cooler if you’re having issues with temps going high. Oil temp maxes out around 3/4 on gauge and coolant peaks around 220 but varies with how hard I’m pushing. Backing off to 7800rpm shifts dramatically lowers temps compared to 8k+

Comment

Originally posted by jk715 View Post
            I highly recommend the csf oil cooler if you’re having issues with temps going high. Oil temp maxes out around 3/4 on gauge and coolant peaks around 220 but varies with how hard I’m pushing. Backing off to 7800rpm shifts dramatically lowers temps compared to 8k+

220f is 104c which is damn near the touching the red on the stock cluster. You have no issue pushing that high? I was backing off at 100c (212f) but this was my first time putting an e46 M3 on track.

Comment

220 is the max I’ve seen but that’s probably after running 11/10 for two laps (2.5mi per lap) straight. Last track day i was at 214 peak. The coolant temps drop dramatically with reduced rpms. Oil temp is more stable and peaks and holds around 3/4 on gauge but also drops to normal temps with a cool down lap or even on the straights.

Comment

I’d be more concerned if my oil temps went past 3/4 on the gauge. Coolant temps are fine as long as they come back down with reduced rpm or on the straights.

Comment

I just replaced the water pump in my car. My coolant temps didn’t get over 194 in Houston a week ago (it was 95 degrees).

Oil temps are still a minor issue. I hit 270 but it’s easily managed by going into 5th. I think I won’t have an issue once it cools off a little. Might have more of an issue trying to warm up the car.

Comment

Having similar issues but cooling system had a refresh about 4-5 months ago all genuine hoses, water pump, thermostat and both sensors were replaced as well.
                    Using an electric fan and csf rad and oil cooler.
                    Oil diverter/thermostat has been deleted as well.
                    Due to time I wont be on track for at least another month but planning on removing the front fan and making some sort of ducting, possibly doing hood vents.
                    Coolant temp is nailed to middle.

Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks

Comment

You can replace everything in the system and still overheat. Get larger coolers and still overheat if you’re not careful. Why? Airflow. Remove some of the plastic at the front of the car which covers the fan. This allows way more airflow over the entire radiator. Also. Glycol (coolant) is a terrible heat exchange medium compared to water. Change your ratio to be a more water blend and add an anti foamer (like water wetter) to allow the water pump to be more efficient

Comment

My car runs at 190-195 on track (e36 s54), z3m radiator with proper ducting/sealed edges, no a/c condenser or oil cooler in front of the radiator, no shroud on the rear, just a basic thin spal fan, regular bmw coolant / water mix with a can of water wetter. My oil temps are another story like many here but its manageable, my oil cooler is an upgraded unit below the radiator. Good luck.

Comment

I’m starting to think an oil to water heat exchanger will work very well on my car. I have problems getting the oil temps up in cooler weather. Then in hot weather my water temps are barely opening the thermostat.

I think I could use the coolant system to better regulate oil temps.

Comment

Recently had similar issues with heat on track only. Did a cooling system refresh with a 80/20 mix and upgraded to CSF oil cooler. There was a ton of debris in the radiator fins which was also cleaned out. Also removed the clutch fan and modified the aux fan to run at 25% when idle vs not at all.

No issues so far. Prior to the refresh shifting early and cool down laps got me through the day.

This
                            2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
                            2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

Recently had similar issues with heat on track only. Did a cooling system refresh with a 80/20 mix and upgraded to CSF oil cooler. There was a ton of debris in the radiator fins which was also cleaned out. Also removed the clutch fan and modified the aux fan to run at 25% when idle vs not at all.

No issues so far. Prior to the refresh shifting early and cool down laps got me through the day.

How to modify aux fan to run at 25% at idle?
                              Thx

Comment

There’s a table in the dme that shows speed x fan percentage. The initial value was changed from 0 to 25%.

So far no issues with overheating with peak temps around ~270.

Comment

Working...
                                X