No announcement yet.

2021 tire thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've done a lot of driving on the new Falken RT660 (2 sets in the last 2 months) and its a great tire. Very comparable to the re71 but at a fraction of the cost. Also tried out the new Kumno v730. Its a decent tire. Considering the price point its a good budget tire. I'd say it has a little more grip than a rs4. Greases up after 5-6 laps pushing, but its manageable. Killed a new set in 1 weekend (just under 250 laps - 2 mile track)
    sigfinal22
    IG: @marcdavid038

Comment

I plan to order the RT660 as soon as Tire Rack has them in. Thanks for the review. I've run the Dunlop Z1, Z2 and Z2 Star Spec, RE-71 and most recently the Yok A052. The Yoks were very grippy but they only lasted 30 autocross runs and four track days which is way faster than any of the previous tires have worn. Given the RE-71 is discontinued and the RT660 is over $200 a set cheaper than the Yoks seems like a no brainer choice.

I've heard the RT 660 runs wide, can you confirm? I ran 275/35/18 previously with the exception of the A052 which does not come in that size so ran 265/35. The 275 RT660 looks quite a bit wider than the other brands I've used so leaning toward 265s again.

Comment

Originally posted by SG/IRM3 View Post
        I plan to order the RT660 as soon as Tire Rack has them in. Thanks for the review. I've run the Dunlop Z1, Z2 and Z2 Star Spec, RE-71 and most recently the Yok A052. The Yoks were very grippy but they only lasted 30 autocross runs and four track days which is way faster than any of the previous tires have worn. Given the RE-71 is discontinued and the RT660 is over $200 a set cheaper than the Yoks seems like a no brainer choice.

I've heard the RT 660 runs wide, can you confirm? I ran 275/35/18 previously with the exception of the A052 which does not come in that size so ran 265/35. The 275 RT660 looks quite a bit wider than the other brands I've used so leaning toward 265s again.
        cant confirm about the width on the RT660. Ive been tracking an integra the last few months since my m3 is transitioning to race wheel to wheel. But i think its safe to assume they run slightly wider
        sigfinal22
        IG: @marcdavid038

Comment

Originally posted by SG/IRM3 View Post

Given the RE-71 is discontinued and the RT660 is over $200 a set cheaper than the Yoks seems like a no brainer choice.
          Whoa. First I heard of that. Is there an RE71R follow-on replacement?

EDIT: Found it: RE-71RS

Which is not yet listed at TR, let alone in stock. And no RE71R sets in stock.

Good planning Bridgestone!

EDIT II: RE71RS independent tests show the tire to perform less than the RE71R. Bridgestone informed and declines to make the RE71R available in the US again.

So either accept less performance or move to another brand.

Vote with your wallet.
          Last edited by Estoril; 03-12-2021, 12:48 PM.

Comment

How does an RT660 compare to the NT01? 1 to 2 seconds faster on a 2 min road course?

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
              How does an RT660 compare to the NT01? 1 to 2 seconds faster on a 2 min road course?
              I’ve heard 660’s are good but that seems nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
              2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Originally posted by MD_M3 View Post
                We've done a lot of driving on the new Falken RT660 (2 sets in the last 2 months) and its a great tire. Very comparable to the re71 but at a fraction of the cost. Also tried out the new Kumno v730. Its a decent tire. Considering the price point its a good budget tire. I'd say it has a little more grip than a rs4. Greases up after 5-6 laps pushing, but its manageable. Killed a new set in 1 weekend (just under 250 laps - 2 mile track)
                Any comparison on the RT660 wear vs NT01? Every time time I try and get away form the Nitto's I come back since they seem to wear like iron. I'm strictly a HPDE driver so the more mileage I can get from a set of tires the happier I am.

Comment

Don’t know if anyone suggested but take a look at either the nankang ar1/cr1 or the maxxis rc1.

Comment

Originally posted by rnh204 View Post
                    Don’t know if anyone suggested but take a look at either the nankang ar1/cr1 or the maxxis rc1.

AR1's are great, but they don't last as long as the NT01's. Very stiff tires in comparison.

Comment

At the track now with a brand new heat cycled s3r’s and they’re worth every bit of the hype.

I’m down a full second from my previous best on nt01’s and my optimal lap is still a full second more.

Overall they have good feedback and early warnings before it lets go. They’re easy to catch when the rear goes. Feels very much like the nt01’s overall but with more grip.

Put them on your radars... now to figure out how long they last! Hmmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post
                        At the track now with a brand new heat cycled s3r’s and they’re worth every bit of the hype.

I’m down a full second from my previous best on nt01’s and my optimal lap is still a full second more.

Overall they have good feedback and early warnings before it lets go. They’re easy to catch when the rear goes. Feels very much like the nt01’s overall but with more grip.

Interested in your experience on wear rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post

Interested in your experience on wear rate.
                          Will report back. I've just started tracking heat cycles too, so will have some good data points. Overall these tires are freakin awesome. Gonna run them for TT4 so I can run some extra power. Based on the times I saw today, I'd be a podium finish based on last season's times.

Comment

I got about 15HC on my 3r. I generally get about 20HC on A052 so for me they lasted about one day less.

Comment

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post

At my local thats around 3mi in length (about 2:00 per lap), my data shows the 3r being about 2-3s faster than the NT01

Comment

Originally posted by eternaln View Post

At my local thats around 3mi in length (about 2:00 per lap), my data shows the 3r being about 2-3s faster than the NT01
                                That’s freakin awesome. That means I gotta grow a pair and actually drive my car harder next time I go out! 😂

Comment

Working...
                                X