2021 tire thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post

Phil’s is good if you don’t have local spots that supply. Other options are rcompoundusa or true performance in SoCal also stock them.
    I'll have to look around, I'm jealous of the motorsports stores you guys have in SoCal and in the NE.

225/45/15 seems to be less and less available. Do tires like the R-S4 make a comeback in early spring? They kind of disappeared off Tire Rack completely.
    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

I'll have to look around, I'm jealous of the motorsports stores you guys have in SoCal and in the NE.

225/45/15 seems to be less and less available. Do tires like the R-S4 make a comeback in early spring? They kind of disappeared off Tire Rack completely.
      Check out the Nexen sur4g. I used many sets in that size on my miata. Faster than the rs4 and last a long time too. I got them at TPMparts and they ship them nationwide at reasonable rates. You can find them on instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by eternaln View Post
        3R: Very fast tire, but needs some laps to get heat in them. Once they are warmed up they should easily last all session with minimal dropoff. Dangerous in wet conditions.
        A052: My preferred tire. Slightly slower than the 3R, but gets to temp quicker. Street friendly.
        AR1: Fast tire. Seems to lose grip over HC sooner than the A052. Howl on the street.
        RE71: Gets up to temp quickly and lots of grip, but gets greasier as session goes on.
        Nt01: 'Ol reliable. Does not have the grip of the newer tires, but lasts a long time.
        The NT01 is probably the slowest of the group?

For me the NT01 has been ‘ol reliable... haven’t strayed from them in years. I stay on them as I make changes to the car to rule out the tires as a variable. They are fairly consistent from start to finish.

Now I’m almost ready for something new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by eternaln View Post

Check out the Nexen sur4g. I used many sets in that size on my miata. Faster than the rs4 and last a long time too. I got them at TPMparts and they ship them nationwide at reasonable rates. You can find them on instagram.
          Nice, thanks for the recommendation. I'll check them out.
          '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

The NT01 is probably the slowest of the group?

For me the NT01 has been ‘ol reliable... haven’t strayed from them in years. I stay on them as I make changes to the car to rule out the tires as a variable. They are fairly consistent from start to finish.

Now I’m almost ready for something new!

Yes the nt01 is clearly the slowest. I would estimate about 1.5-2s on a typical 2 minute roadcourse versus those other tires. However, they have the benefit of being very consistent and wearing like iron. Pretty amazing that a 15 year old tire is still relevant today.

Comment

Anyone have comparison of 3r's and Trofeo R's? Tread looks almost the same.
              2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
              2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
              2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

Originally posted by Sergmann View Post
                has anyone tried the federal fz201? I have run NT-01's for about 6 seasons now but the price of the federal is really attractive. any experience with either the S or the M?
                I have a set in 265/35/18 on the medium compound and I find them OK. They get the job done, but I'm not blown away by them. Easy to drive on, predictable break away on track, loud on the street. I only have 3 days on them though, so I cannot tell you how they heatcycle out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by elbert View Post
                  Welp, I was planning to make the switch from NT01 to BFG R1 this season, only to find out the R1 has been discontinued. BFG still offers the R1S.

What will everyone be running this year, and where are you getting them? I need ideas.
                  Was just poking around on Phil's Tire and they have 275 BFG R1's in stock.

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

Do tires like the R-S4 make a comeback in early spring? They kind of disappeared off Tire Rack completely.
                    Yes, a lot of s2k guys love the tire, and they are expecting new shipments and availability sometime in April.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Nankang CR-1 is coming out this winter, looking forward to seeing how those fare against the RS4 I currently run. If they're good I may get them after my RS4s wear out

Comment

For those in Norcal, if interested in a052, this dude posted on FB track addicts group some really good prices. He is in Fremont, quoted me a set of 265 35 18 pickup cash price less than $1k. Compared to Tirerack if you go through checkout, with taxes and state fees (and free shipping) it would be about $1246.

I don't know him, I've never dealt with him, just thought I'd pass along. He said he can get any size delivered within about week.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by S14 View Post

Was just poking around on Phil's Tire and they have 275 BFG R1's in stock.
                          Awesome, I'll try to give them a call today

Comment

Originally posted by Sergmann View Post
                            has anyone tried the federal fz201? I have run NT-01's for about 6 seasons now but the price of the federal is really attractive. any experience with either the S or the M?
                            I ran the fz201m last season. Soft shoulders, quick to heat up, not as loud in terms of feedback. Rec pressure 32f/29r cold. I’m running -2.7f/-1.9r. They wear pretty good. About 12 heat cycles on them and plenty of grip/tread left.

Last edited by jk715; 01-16-2021, 11:24 AM.

Comment

For those who drive their track tires on the street to the track, do you could that trip to the track as a heat cycle?

I’m in the in between state where I’m not willing to tow the car yet but I still want to get smarter of how my tires are wearing.

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
                              2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post
                                For those who drive their track tires on the street to the track, do you could that trip to the track as a heat cycle?

I’m in the in between state where I’m not willing to tow the car yet but I still want to get smarter of how my tires are wearing.

I would not consider that a HC. I DD'd Re71r for 9 months. If each trip was a HC, I got more than 600 HC's by my count.

Comment

Working...
                                X