Share your Winter 2021 Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Share your Winter 2021 Projects

I come here for the E46 M3 content but my car is basically track dedicated at this point and I would love to see some more action in this section. I'm in the northeast and it is the offseason here. As such I want to ask all the track addicts to share their offseason projects. This winter it was my intention to do nothing. Last winter my car got all new suspension (Moton CS remotes) which are fabulous but are still getting dialed in and I wanted to spend at least another season learning the car before adding mods. My car was tucked in the corner of the garage with a fresh oil change on the battery tender. Then a friend of mine picked up a really well put together S54 powered E36 race car with all kinds of fun aero and I couldn't help myself so out came the credit card.....

In November I ordered a nine lives racing Big Wang which still hasn't shipped so in the mean time I tackled a brake upgrade. I chose to go with the 996 retrofit for a couple reason but the main reason being running costs are relatively low (FCP consumables). I contemplated the C43 Stoptech kit but chose against it as I wanted a full 4 wheel kit and adding rears to that kit was quite expensive. The brake upgrade was completed this past weekend and I simply need to bleed them. (waiting on Schwaben pressure bleeder to arrive).

Next on the list will be trackspeed hood vents, at least the center vent at this point. I have the vent kit, now I just need to get the cahones to cut the hood!

Finally, the aero project will commence when my rear wing arrives. I have purchased a second trunk lid to install the wing on as I have hopes of being able to run the car with and without aero. My font splitter is removable via the Buildjournal mount setup so my plan is to be able to run back to back days with and without. This is more of a curiosity thing for me and something that a few friends and I have discussed. It will be interesting to see , all other things equal, how much difference the aero makes.

I will update as I move along if anyone is interested.

So, not t a ton of content and only one picture of my car on stands with its new brakes but I encourage others to share their winter projects.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sergmann; 02-02-2021, 08:31 AM.

Did brakes too. Front Megane RS calipers and rear 996 kit. ZCP rotors all around and ferodo DS2500.

Also refreshed front LCA with Lemforders, with Bimmerworld trackCABs. Entire front end is new at this point since I did coils and tie rods already so cant wait to try it out.

Still waiting for my DMG comp1 RACP brace. Should lockdown the subframe for good since I have Redish plates already.

Planning for 3-4 track days this summer.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Comment

Have the parts to do my RTABS with Synchro Design Works. Also planning on replacing my studs. That’s about it for this year. Hopefully get to do 6-7 events this year instead of the measly three I did last year.

Comment

Hubs and wheel bearings once I get them back from Core 4.

Comment

Nothing crazy, my car is still my daily but I don't commute that much. Already pre-purchased 6 day sessions to my local track (TMP).

Already got GC DAs in my car end of last August that I bought used for a really great deal, 440/550 lbs F/R. I have 900 lbs springs that I will swap into the rear after my car comes out of storage, along with a 30 mm Front ARB from ST. But before getting the ARB in I'm going to reinforce the mounting points by epoxying some reinforcement plates so the studs don't pull out.

Also have a set of DTC-60s ready to go in just for track, but my rotors got super chewed up last season so I'm going to warranty those first.

I'm also probably going to press in the Moog Camry spherical RTABs. They're only $20 each which is an absolute steal compared to the aftermarket ones.

Then re-align, this time with my new string jig and corner balance.

Comment

Rear close out panel after removal of carbon filter canister, supporting hoses and plastic cover.

Feff

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flat Panel.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	82470
            MVP Track Time

Comment

looks good. what does the carbon filter stuff weigh?

Comment

Long list of things for this winter. Getting ready for a welded cage that ties in the front towers, rear towers, and subframe. Gutted the doors, cut the rear bulkhead, removed all the sound deadening. Also removed the wire harness from the car and started thinning all the unnecessary wires. On top of that we are doing an AEM Infinity stand alone ECU with a custom harness. Turner CSL airbox, 5 speed swap, replacing clutch friction disks, and livery wrap.
                sigfinal22
                IG: @marcdavid038

Comment

Originally posted by MD_M3 View Post
                  Long list of things for this winter. Getting ready for a welded cage that ties in the front towers, rear towers, and subframe. Gutted the doors, cut the rear bulkhead, removed all the sound deadening. Also removed the wire harness from the car and started thinning all the unnecessary wires. On top of that we are doing an AEM Infinity stand alone ECU with a custom harness. Turner CSL airbox, 5 speed swap, replacing clutch friction disks, and livery wrap.
                  this things is going to be beast! the 5 speed swap is a weight saver I imagine? are you running stock rear diff gearing?

Comment

car's going back to CA for a big phase 2... CF roof, lexan rear and quarter windows, removal of spare tire well, front cage tied into shock towers, custom dash, MXP install with sensors, front and rear aero. can't wait for april although my wallet will be crying!
                    2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
                    2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Gut the doors, install headers, install last hood vent (center, have the side ones in already), remove charcoal canister, maybe tune, uhh, drive better.
                      '02 e46m3 - fully caged track car
                      many others

Comment

This was a 2020 project that...let's say I've learned a lot. Making a carbon fiber splitter. I've mostly figured it out. I'll be making a spare that will be a little stiffer at the corners. It can be removed and installed in less than 5 minutes with no tools. I had an issue at COTA with porpoising when I would get to about 140mph on the back straight with a plywood splitter. I hope this won't be flapping as much. I think I can top out of 142-144.

Next project that I hope to finish before Apr is a carbon fiber front reinforcement plate.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergmann View Post

this things is going to be beast! the 5 speed swap is a weight saver I imagine? are you running stock rear diff gearing?
                          Yeah doing it for the weight savings. Shooting for sub 2600lbs and 350ish whp for the full power tune. I'll end up de-tuning for st4.
                          sigfinal22
                          IG: @marcdavid038

Comment

My wing arrived so I got it mounted up last night. My initial plan was to mount it to a second trunk lid as I had vision or removing it for testing purposes. after messing around with it a bit and realizing how cumbersome the trunk lid was with the wing mounted I decided to scrap that idea and just drill my stock trunk lid. There is a lot of measuring and making sure the wing is centered and square. Nine Lives provides 0 instruction so your on your own for mounting but its fairly straight forward. I am also going to replace the hardware they provided as some of it is way too long for the task. Next on the list is the re-fabbing of my front splitter and adding hood vents. That should get me about ready for my first event April 24th. It cant come soon enough!
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Sergmann; 02-16-2021, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X