Track insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Track insurance?

Just booked my first ever track day and was looking at track insurance rates. Cheapest quote I could find was ~$250 per day. Was talking to some people and it seems like most people just don't run with it at all, especially those with cars worth tens of thousands of dollars and not hundreds of thousands.

Curious to see what you guys do. Do you regularly run with insurance? Or is it just too expensive?

I'm leaning towards not getting it mostly because of price, but also because this will be my first time ever on a track and I really don't foresee myself doing anything crazy risky. Just plan on trying to learn the track and building up technique before trying to go fast.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

I always get it. Insure by built, 36k mile E46 m3 for $35k. Costs me $190 for three days. https://ontrackinsurance.com/

Comment

So far I've only run at Toronto Motorsport Park (Cayuga) which is basically a track on an open field, so I don't have insurance. But if I was to run at Mosport or any other track that is much riskier, I'd 100% get it. You may think "damn, $2-300 or whatever extra for insurance for the day, that's not worth it" but if something happens, you'll be out thousands and definitely regret it (speaking from an experience I had with another car)

Comment

Yeeaah I keep going back and forth on this. On one hand, I know I'll hate myself if something happens and I tried to save 250 bucks by not getting insurance. But on the other hand, I'll be running at Thunderhill (pretty open track with lots of run off) with the beginners group (i.e. not going fast), so I'm not sure it's worth it.

Thanks for the link foolio , I'll check it out.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

I always get it. I use Lockton. I value my car at $30K with a 15% deductible. I pay about $160/event. This is the kicker for track insurance, the pricing is typically per event so running insurance for a one day costs the same as running for a two or three day event. At this point I have paid enough in premiums that I cannot justify NOT buying it. If I don't run insurance for one event and ball up my car, all my past premiums have been a waste of money.......With that said, when I was running my Miata I never had insurance. My justification was that could buy a clean chassis for $1500 so why bother? I have had three friends hit the wall in the past two years. All carried insurance, all three bought their cars back from the provider for pennies on the dollar and all three arrived at the next event with new cars which had most of their original mods on them. When I look at the money I spend on this hobby the insurance is a relatively small figure for a piece of mind. My $.02

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
            Yeeaah I keep going back and forth on this. On one hand, I know I'll hate myself if something happens and I tried to save 250 bucks by not getting insurance. But on the other hand, I'll be running at Thunderhill (pretty open track with lots of run off) with the beginners group (i.e. not going fast), so I'm not sure it's worth it.

Thanks for the link foolio , I'll check it out.
            I should justify the above by saying that it was three or four years into track diving before I even thought about it. you are correct in assuming that novice run groups very rarely have incidents resulting in car damage.

Comment

No right answer on this one, but, think about the long term and whether 10, 20, 50+ track events worth of premiums will offset an average claim, or like Sergeman, you'll run into this - "At this point I have paid enough in premiums that I cannot justify NOT buying it."

I have been lucky so far that with my incidents, a wall at VIR left it's mark, but after $1k of ebay fenders and door, it still didn't justify the premium. Sure, a total loss would change my tune, but hindsight will always do that. I've saved (as an example) 4x10x$200 from insurance so my 'premiums' will cover another shell and rebuild.

If it's your first event, and something you are worried about, I would say get it so you are able to relax during the event, enjoy yourself, and hopefully learn something!

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedCommie View Post
                If it's your first event, and something you are worried about, I would say get it so you are able to relax during the event, enjoy yourself, and hopefully learn something!
                That sums up why I get the insurance. That way I can just focus on enjoying the weekend, not worrying about wrecking. I use Lockton as well.

Comment

I would get it if I was old enough. They don’t like to insure people you get than 21/25.

A crash is unlikely... but that’s foolish thinking. Better be safe than sorry. I’d get it if I could.

Have fun!!!

Comment

I always buy it! Small cost to cover yourself in the chance that something happens.
                    Instagram: @_Frank_Stone_

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. I've looked around and seems like I can get coverage for $170 per event. Not bad.

Originally posted by CrookedCommie View Post
                      You make a great point. I hadn't thought of it that way. I think you guys have convinced me that it's worth getting for the peace of mind alone.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelGreyM View Post
                        I would get it if I was old enough. They don’t like to insure people you get than 21/25.

A crash is unlikely... but that’s foolish thinking. Better be safe than sorry. I’d get it if I could.

Have fun!!!
                        I did my first DE when I was 18 in the E46. I believe Lockton is who I went with bc On Track wouldn’t cover me due to my age. I think I bought a policy from OT, and they canceled it like two days before the event. Lockton was perfectly fine with providing me coverage. That was six years ago..no idea if that’s still the case.
                        Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                        Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

I never get it. But my situation is a bit different with a purpose built car. I just fix whatever gets damaged and then go back out.
                          When driving other peoples cars, I just drive within my capabilities
                          sigfinal22
                          IG: @marcdavid038

Comment

Originally posted by MD_M3 View Post
                            When driving other peoples cars, I just drive within my capabilities
                            Yes, but when someone dumps coolant on the track, and you're first in line...

Comment

Originally posted by elbert View Post

Yes, but when someone dumps coolant on the track, and you're first in line...
                              Yes, there's always a risk. By going on track, you have already acknowledged those risks. I know HPDE is different because most people don't see their cars as just toys.

IMO with cost vs reward, these cars don't have a high enough value to take out track insurance. On a HPDE you shouldn't be pushing that hard anyways. You literally win nothing. But with OpenTrack quoting me at $402 for a single day of coverage ($65k value $3,250 deductible AND non-competition) its not worth the expense, seeing how I do 20+ days a year
                              sigfinal22
                              IG: @marcdavid038

Comment

Working...
                              X