Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time taking M3 out on the track - stock brake pads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time taking M3 out on the track - stock brake pads?

Hi - First time for the car, not for me (feel I have decent brake technique). Right now I have stock pads on. I am thinking of going to 996 brakes in the future, so am reluctant to invest heavily in the current OEM brake setup. Will I be ok with stock pads and fresh RBF 600 fluid? Or will I fry the stock pads and do I need to at least buy something like Hawk HPS? Thanks.
    ‘04 M3

You might be OK with the OE pads but I'd recommend getting a good high temp pad. Hawk HPS is not a high temp pad. Maybe the DTC60 or 70.

Comment

You'll probably be fine with OE pads - just make sure you have lots of pad, fresh good fluid and drive within the limits of your brakes.

Don't use HPS on track.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxhouse97 View Post
        Hi - First time for the car, not for me (feel I have decent brake technique). Right now I have stock pads on. I am thinking of going to 996 brakes in the future, so am reluctant to invest heavily in the current OEM brake setup. Will I be ok with stock pads and fresh RBF 600 fluid? Or will I fry the stock pads and do I need to at least buy something like Hawk HPS? Thanks.
        Since you haven't gotten the 996 brakes yet, IMO you should just buy the right pads now and sell them later. Just get a pad that people would be interested in.

Agreed about HPS or HP+, don't get them. I would take OE over those two.

Comment

Piggybacking off of this. What track pads do you guys run/ recommend to use with OE brakes...dtc-60/ 70, pfc-08, smth else?
          Currently running Stoptech Sport pads with RBF600 fluid and thinking of either going to a more aggressive dedicated track pad or just switch to BBK.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_P View Post
            Piggybacking off of this. What track pads do you guys run/ recommend to use with OE brakes...dtc-60/ 70, pfc-08, smth else?
            Currently running Stoptech Sport pads with RBF600 fluid and thinking of either going to a more aggressive dedicated track pad or just switch to BBK.
            What tires? 325mm or 345mm ZCP front rotors? Double duty car or only track car?
            '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

What tires? 325mm or 345mm ZCP front rotors? Double duty car or only track car?
              Good point, didn’t clarify. Im on 265/18 Yoko a052s, non-ZCP brakes, JRZ 2WNR with -2.7 / -1.9 camber.

I do 5-10 events per year driving to and from track. I feel the Stoptechs Im currently running are already “double duty” so I will probably have to move to smth more aggressive and switch pads before/ after events

Comment

Really depends on what you like. Pagids are a good option...a little less aggressive than the Hawks.

PFC is my choice but apparently...they aren’t making pads any more or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm kind of impressed the StopTech 309 pads are holding up for you with that setup. Wouldn't have thought that.

If you can find PFC08 or 11 pads, I'd give those a shot. I know stock calipers can take you pretty far with ducting, but I've never enjoyed running ducting on a car that sees a lot of street use too.

Do you experience any fade or excessive pad wear as it is now?

Comment

I have a set of front PFC 08 pads for sale. They have about 44% life remaining. Lmk if interested.
                    Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                    Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

I can’t really say the StopTechs are holding up, definitely the weakest link of my setup. Yes, I get fade...I can get a few decent laps in but then I have to improvize a bit. Either brake very early or lift & coast before braking zone so I don’t overcook them.

I was initially leaning towards Hawk DTC60 or 70 since I can get them through fcpeuro and im only 20mins away from them! But not sure how the rotors will hold up, any experience?

I did not know this about PFC...a bunch of ppl have recommended the pfc08s so had them as my 2nd choice.

Comment

Ha, yeah, you need different pads.

I've never run Hawk pads before but I just put DTC-60s on with ST43s in the rear since very few people make front pads for the GT350. If PFC made either the 08 or 11 in the D1853 shape I would have been all over that. Hopefully I'll have some feedback on the 60s soon. If you're that close to FCP, that might be a good option for you.

Comment

Good idea on buying some and selling as a used pad later, I didn’t think of that. Also appreciate the discussion on type of pad.
                          ‘04 M3

Comment

Just bought some DTC 60s.
                            ‘04 M3

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_P View Post
                              I can’t really say the StopTechs are holding up, definitely the weakest link of my setup. Yes, I get fade...I can get a few decent laps in but then I have to improvize a bit. Either brake very early or lift & coast before braking zone so I don’t overcook them.
                              I have used the Stoptech Sport pads and made them last with brake cooling. Even then they didn’t compare to a good high temp pad.

Probably want the DTC70s. They will chew your rotors up if you daily drive them like any other high temp race pad. Need to swap between street/track pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X