Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone have experience concrete floor grinding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone have experience concrete floor grinding?

After considering epoxy and cement-based leveling for my shop floor, I'm now thinking maybe all I need is to grind it and seal it. I can rent an Edco 2-wheel grinder locally for $150/day. I figure I'd need to remove about 1/8" on average over the 400 square feet to get it as smooth and level as I'd like concrete grinding cape coral. The manufacturer says this grinder can remove 1/32" over 350-500 feet per hour concrete grinding brisbane​. Four-plus hours of grinding sounds like a bit of a slog, but if it turned out well, probably worth it. I got 'resurfacing' (grind, level, epoxy coat) estimates from $4.50 to $7.50 per square foot.

Does anyone have experience and advice about grinding concrete floors?​
    Last edited by hoshanaeckhart; 01-21-2023, 12:05 PM.

Originally posted by hoshanaeckhart View Post
    After considering epoxy and cement-based leveling for my shop floor, I'm now thinking maybe all I need is to grind it and seal it. I can rent an Edco 2-wheel grinder locally for $150/day concrete grinder for sale Los Angeles. I figure I'd need to remove about 1/8" on average over the 400 square feet to get it as smooth and level as I'd like. The manufacturer says this grinder can remove 1/32" over 350-500 feet per hour. Four-plus hours of grinding sounds like a bit of a slog, but if it turned out well, probably worth it. I got 'resurfacing' (grind, level, epoxy coat) estimates from $4.50 to $7.50 per square foot.

Anyone have experience and advice about grinding concrete floors?​
    thanks in advance for any help

Comment

I had to grind down and smooth out the old concrete subfloor in my old house. We removed this ugly tile in half the house which left all sorts of mortar, and the kitchen subfloor for whatever reason looked like the face of the moon.

This was 15 years ago now, but I rented the same machine you mentioned above and did the work myself. A few things I learned:

a) It took off years of my life from all the dust. Use water, it helps keep the dust down but damn.
      b) It's a hell of a lot of work
      c) I put a big heavy toolbox on top of the machine so I didn't have to push down as hard
      d) Make sure you get the right grinding discs for the bottom of the machine. The ones that cut quickly leave grooves, so you want to use the harsh ones to take off whatever material you need and then switch to something that smooths afterward.

The smooth towards the glass door is after the first pass

first pass on the left, old on the right

after. We didn't need a mirror surface since I was putting down wood floors, but it was smooth.
      E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
      Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

When I moved into my house it was 15 years old and I wanted to epoxy the garage floors (2 car garage). Cleaning and acid etching just wasn't doing the trick to prepare the surface. I rented a grinder from HomeDepot and it took me roughly 6-7 hours to get a result I was happy with. It had a water hookup so the dust was cut to a minimum. I then did a DIY epoxy coating thats holding up great.

Comment

Originally posted by Apex_80 View Post
          When I moved into my house it was 15 years old and I wanted to epoxy the garage floors (2 car garage). Cleaning and acid etching just wasn't doing the trick to prepare the surface concrete grinding jacksonville. I rented a grinder from HomeDepot and it took me roughly 6-7 hours to get a result I was happy with. It had a water hookup so the dust was cut to a minimum. I then did a DIY epoxy coating thats holding up great.
          thank you so much for your suggestion about concrete grinding boston
          Last edited by hoshanaeckhart; 12-09-2022, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post
            I had to grind down and smooth out the old concrete subfloor in my old house. We removed this ugly tile in half the house which left all sorts of mortar, and the kitchen subfloor for whatever reason looked like the face of the moon.

This was 15 years ago now, but I rented the same machine you mentioned above and did the work myself. A few things I learned:

a) It took off years of my life from all the dust. Use water, it helps keep the dust down but damn.
            b) It's a hell of a lot of work
            concrete grinding orlando
            c) I put a big heavy toolbox on top of the machine so I didn't have to push down as hard
            d) Make sure you get the right grinding discs for the bottom of the machine
            grind and seal tampa​. The ones that cut quickly leave grooves, so you want to use the harsh ones to take off whatever material you need and then switch to something that smooths afterward.

The smooth towards the glass door is after the first pass

first pass on the left, old on the right

after. We didn't need a mirror surface since I was putting down wood floors, but it was smooth.
            also thank you for your suggestion
            Last edited by hoshanaeckhart; 04-22-2023, 05:57 PM.

Comment

How uneven is it? Could just put down Racedeck over the existing floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

@Phoenix///M3 also thank you for your suggestion

Comment

Working...
                X