E46 Navigation system parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post

Oh that's interesting. So you're saying the even though this was used as a user adjustable head unit in the dash with actual controls on it, You can actually repurpose it and use it as a standalone unit that goes in the trunk and replaces the BM53. Never heard of that before. Interesting
    Yup. I'm on vacation right now, but once I get back ill be removing the faceplate and CD reader. Sealing it up and installing it.

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post

Pro tip since I've just bought a BM53 from eBay, search for the Range Rover BM53 unit, they're about a 1/4 of the cost of the BMW one and they're identical.
      I look for "BMW Navigation" and "e46 radio" then sort by price and look for anything relevant. Filter by "BMW" as the brand to get rid of all the aftermarket results too.

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post

Oh that's interesting. So you're saying the even though this was used as a user adjustable head unit in the dash with actual controls on it, You can actually repurpose it and use it as a standalone unit that goes in the trunk and replaces the BM53. Never heard of that before. Interesting
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3216.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.0 KB ID:	247562

Four screws and a ribbon cable later, you can remove the faceplate from the radio. I put foil tape on the cavity, but one of these days I'll 3D print a block off for the leftover hole.

This Siemens CID-compatible radio still implements the C43/BM24/BM53/BM54 "Nav Radio" protocol, but with the added board monitor functions via the faceplate.

It sounds better than a standard BM53 and is more robust than them as well, so win/win.

Thanks!
      -Ted
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by t3ddftw View Post

I look for "BMW Navigation" and "e46 radio" then sort by price and look for anything relevant. Filter by "BMW" as the brand to get rid of all the aftermarket results too.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_3216.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.0 KB ID:	247562

Four screws and a ribbon cable later, you can remove the faceplate from the radio. I put foil tape on the cavity, but one of these days I'll 3D print a block off for the leftover hole.

This Siemens CID-compatible radio still implements the C43/BM24/BM53/BM54 "Nav Radio" protocol, but with the added board monitor functions via the faceplate.

It sounds better than a standard BM53 and is more robust than them as well, so win/win.

Thanks!
        -Ted
        Is there a particular part number that works best for the BM53 out of the X3? Any coding required? There are a few variants that pop up

Comment

Originally posted by killa_e46 View Post

Is there a particular part number that works best for the BM53 out of the X3? Any coding required? There are a few variants that pop up
          I haven't noted any differences in the four E8x radios I've purchased. No coding is required, either.

FWIW, the E85/E86 also had the same Siemens CID style radio.

-Ted

Comment

Originally posted by killa_e46 View Post

I would look for the nav radio but with HD radio. Here are some. Main thing is finding one out of a navigation car. Click image for larger version

Name:	d295bc3d6a42e5840c4545ff92876786.png
Views:	75
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	247771

Comment

Working...
            X