Custom Autosolutions shift kit review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Autosolutions shift kit review

BLUF: Big upgrade over stock for my tastes. A caveat or two, but overall very positive. Will update with any new impressions as the miles accumulate.

Intro

I’m usually leery of aftermarket mods, especially from small companies. Aftermarket parts almost never get anywhere near OE levels of development, so their upside/downside ratios vs. stock parts generally suck.

And then there are Autosolutions shift kits. AS is as small as companies get, and yet reviews of these kits seem overwhelmingly and almost unanimously positive. I sampled a couple before mine, and they’re among the best shifters I’ve ever experienced in any car.

I had wanted an AS shift kit since I had my old E36 M3. Missed my chance with that car, sadly. Fast-forward over a decade to our E90 M3 and its big drivetrain and suspension refresh, and I figured the time had finally come.

Custom Specs

AS kits are made to order and customizable. Ronald is great to talk with and will do everything he can to make a great shifter for your car and tastes.

I love tall shifters but wanted to keep the stock knob and boot for simplicity, so I estimated the max height that the stock boot could accommodate. Long story short, it looked like a 50mm longer lever would be possible; maybe even more with a reduced throw length. I asked for +40mm to be safe. Prior to me, Ronald had been given the impression that +25mm was the upper limit with the stock knob and boot, so we were in uncharted territory. I trusted my measurements, though, and Ronald agreed to give it a shot.

I initially asked Ronald for stock throw length at the new knob height. He politely but firmly pushed back on this, strongly recommending a reduction of 15% or more to get the best out of the kit. I took his advice on that and went with 15%.

Last was 80A vs. 95A carrier bushings. 95A adds precision, but also potentially noise – not something to take lightly given how noisy our transmissions are. Ronald warned me that there'd be no way to guess whether the noise would be noticeable or unpleasant (seems to be different for different cars), and that changing my mind later would suck because swapping those bushings out is a PITA. However, he also said the extra noise can sometimes be mitigated by adding wheel weights to the shifter lever. Ultimately, we agreed that 95A was probably a better call for my tastes.

My shift lever on the left, a stock one on the right:

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=227610&d=1690979406.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.9 KB ID:	232867

Install Notes

Installation was straightforward thanks to Ronald’s pre-assembly, instructions, and support.

Only one snag: the "bearing bolts"​ (these things – BMW PN 25117529078) were hard to install while working in the confined space of the transmission tunnel. They had to be wrestled in by feel, with no good angles on them and the trans in the way. Apparently it’s much easier with stock carrier bushings, so maybe the 95As were the culprit here. Either way, what we should have done is connect the carrier to the trans while the trans was out for other work. I'm not saying you should pull your trans just to install this kit, but if you do happen to be pulling the trans, consider connecting the shifter carrier before reinstalling the trans. You can slide the shifter into place as the trans goes in.

Installed Pics
    Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=232746.jpg Views:	3 Size:	184.8 KB ID:	232883
    Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=232747.jpg Views:	4 Size:	104.9 KB ID:	232884

The boot has the least amount of slack when the shifter is in 6th gear position. Looks like there's enough for an even longer lever, though not by much:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=232748.jpg Views:	3 Size:	264.9 KB ID:	232885

Initial Impressions

As I understand, the foundation of Ronald’s design philosophy is increasing feedback. I'm definitely getting that. I feel completely plugged into the gearbox. It communicates synchro engagement more than stock just like how a track car communicates road imperfections more than a comfy street car does. It significantly amplifies any kickback or resistance from the gearbox itself. Effort is higher, and I feel shifts all through my arm in ways I don't recall ever feeling with any other shifter I've daily-driven.

Notably, the extra feedback doesn't come with any of the stupid, pointless resistance I’ve felt in a lot of other aftermarket shift kits. It just feels super communicative and engaging.

Another problem with most aftermarket shifters, especially short shifters, is that they make it harder to tell where you are in the shift pattern. That's the main reason I had initially asked for stock throw length with this kit. But I needn't have worried at all. There's no such problem with this kit. I know exactly where I am in the pattern, every time. It's uncanny.

Overall feel is night-and-day from the rubbery, remote-feeling stock shifter. A much more vivid experience. Every shift feels different – because it is, and the nuances aren't all being smothered by bushings. Every bit of useful feedback from the synchros comes through with more intensity and fidelity. And it feels like there's no slack in the assembly at all.

That extra feedback can slow shifts down a bit. The way the kickback from the synchros is amplified, you can't just ram home imperfect shifts the way you can with the stock shifter. But you CAN shift quickly with this kit if you get your timing and footwork right, and when you do, it feels awesome. Maybe this isn't the best balance for someone who likes lazy shifting and/or wants to compete with DCT shift times. For my part, I find it hugely involving and love that it can make me a better driver.

I’m definitely getting more gearbox noise, as expected from the 95A carrier bushings. Noticeable, but not really loud or off-putting IMO. Easily drowned out by HVAC, music, or lowered windows. I imagine most aftermarket exhausts would make it unnoticeable (mine's bone stock). At the same time, I can also imagine why someone looking to daily drive their AS shifter might prefer the 80A option.

I'm still deciding what I think about the knob height I specced. It's not nearly as high as I'd like from a purely functional standpoint; ideally I'd want something much closer to the height of the steering wheel. Nor is it as good as the stock knob height for lazily flicking the shifter back-and-forth with your elbow on the armrest. On the other hand, a shifter as high as I'd like would look hideous without the right boot, lever color, etc.; that'd take more searching and experimentation, and I wanted to keep this project simple. As for the lazy-shifting advantage of the stock shifter height, I don't think facilitating lazy driving is a real asset. Control and involvement are what should be promoted, not laziness. So, overall, I don't think this knob height was a bad call per se. What I'm still unsure about is whether there's a tangible upside. I feel like there is, because shifting feels so damn much better. But I can't tell how much of that (if any) is from the knob height. Maybe I'll form more of an opinion with time.

Overall, comparing the stock shifter to this kit feels like comparing a bone stock F32 335i to a slightly firmed-up E46 M3. One is quite capable and super refined but feels remote and sterile, like it’s trying to hide as much as possible from your attention. The other is grittier – but vivid, revealing, lively, rewarding, ever-present in every way, and fun. You get the idea.

Is this kit a match for the E9x M3’s character? It certainly feels like a match for mine, though YMMV. The E9x M3 is fundamentally more of a plush cruiser than most M3s; if that's why you like it, your AS shift kit should be different – maybe less throw length reduction, probably stock knob height, definitely softer carrier bushings. Personally, I came to the E9x M3 because, of all the MT + RWD + NA + HPS sedans out there, this car is the closest thing to a no-apologies sports car – though it’s still miles off. The few mods I've done have been aimed at marginally reducing that distance without killing daily drivability. In this case, mission accomplished.
    Last edited by IamFODI; 09-15-2023, 01:30 AM.
    2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
    Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
    Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Installed pictures? They might not be showing up.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
      Installed pictures? They might not be showing up.
      Gah, thanks for letting me know. Fixed now?
      2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
        Gah, thanks for letting me know. Fixed now?
        Yep!

Shifter sounds great.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

You should make a video showing the distance between the gates.

I've driven a few E9X M3's with AS kits and I was not impressed compared to the kits he makes for the 420G equipped cars.

However, his kits for the F8X cars are phenomenal too.
          2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
          2005 BMW ///M3
          Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
          2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
          2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
          2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post

I've driven a few E9X M3's with AS kits and I was not impressed compared to the kits he makes for the 420G equipped cars.

However, his kits for the F8X cars are phenomenal too.
            The other AS shifters I sampled were both in E46 M3s and mine isn't blowing me away in quite the same way, so I think I see what you're saying. Curious to hear your impressions in more detail.

Ronald seems to agree that the E9x M3 is more challenging than the I6 M3s due to more inherent vibration from the V8 (lots of gear rattle).

Also, I feel like I've read that the torque capacity of the E9x M3's 6MT is higher than that of any other M3 except maybe the G8x. If it's a heavier-duty trans, maybe that explains the higher shift effort? IDK
            2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

Also, I feel like I've read that the torque capacity of the E9x M3's 6MT is higher than that of any other M3 except maybe the G8x. I
              That's surprising, since the 420g was also used in the e39 M5.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                That's surprising, since the 420g was also used in the e39 M5.
                420G capacity: 499 Nm
                S6-53BZ capacity: 600 Nm

AFAIK, the F8x trans is a different S6 variant with less torque capacity (plausible IMO as it's supposedly lighter).
                Last edited by IamFODI; 09-11-2023, 01:45 PM.
                2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

Tried the wheel weight trick to mitigate noise:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0689.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	234339

This didn't eliminate but did reduce the extra noise. Pretty cool.

Shifter feels even better with more seat time, too.
                  2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

^probably also breaking in.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Tried the wheel weight trick to mitigate noise:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0689.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	234339
                      Interesting idea.

FYI, BMW shipped some of their cars with vibration dampers on the shifter. 25111434028 is the only one I've found that's still in production, but there were a couple different versions. I think it should fit the AS shifter (and I've been meaning to try it on mine), but not 100% on that.
                      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                        FYI, BMW shipped some of their cars with vibration dampers on the shifter. 25111434028 is the only one I've found that's still in production, but there were a couple different versions. I think it should fit the AS shifter (and I've been meaning to try it on mine), but not 100% on that.
                        Cool! If you get around to trying it, I'd be curious to hear if it does anything for you.
                        2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

Cool! If you get around to trying it, I'd be curious to hear if it does anything for you.
                          I'll update you if I do!
                          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
                            Is this what you wanted to see?

2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

Is this what you wanted to see?

Yes!

I wanted to see the travel between the gates and the ease of use.

Ofc while it's breaking in, it will get easier to use.

Looks good!
                              2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                              2005 BMW ///M3
                              Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                              2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                              2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                              2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                              X