Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review: 3DM Öhlins R&T kit + TMS camber plates + Syncro Design Works tension arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
    Thanks. I did see that series. Best match looks like 0800.2530.0350, with 131mm travel – 2.8mm less than the Hyperco option I saw (188B0350), and only 1mm more than what it'd see in use. 😕
    Total travel or useable travel?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
      Total travel or useable travel?
      Total. They don't list usable.
      2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
      Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
      Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

You don't want to raise the car? Taller spring, move the perch down.
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
          Taller spring, move the perch down.
          That's the plan.
          2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

New issue: In trying to hunt down a noise that I think is suspension-related, I found the boots on both camber plate monoballs were torn. No idea how long they were like that but there is definitely play in at least the passenger's side monoball. If that isn't the source of the noise, I'm guessing it will be soon.

I was a hair's breadth from using this situation as an excuse to switch to other camber plates. But ECS is running a killer sale RN that puts the TMS Hybrid at the price of the GC Street or Vorshlag. GC says their Street plates will only give up to -1.5º of camber, which is less than I need. GC Race and Vorshlag will do more, but still have unsealed monoballs. So, I guess I'll be sticking with TMS Hybrids.

Only consolation in all this is that the M3 will be seeing fewer miles from now on as we've added another car to the stable. So, hopefully whatever camber plates I buy next will last longer than 3 years and 40k miles.
            Last edited by IamFODI; 10-24-2022, 12:59 PM.
            2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

Did a spring-off test to make sure the wheel wouldn't rub with the amount of bump travel I calculated I'd have with the new 203mm Hyperco springs. Seemed to pass, so I'm proceeding with the spring swap to gain bump travel and hopefully prevent coil bind.

Also decided to break in a new kitchen scale by weighing the old and new springs.

Old 178mm Swift:
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6251.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.1 KB ID:	189468

New 203mm Hyperco:
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6252.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.1 KB ID:	189470

Only 6.6 oz difference per spring.

Surprisingly to me, the Hyperco only weighs 0.1 oz more per mm of length. I expected a bigger difference in favor of Swift given the hype.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by IamFODI; 10-24-2022, 01:00 PM.
              2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

​After some minor drama, the front coilovers are back together with 203mm Hyperco springs in place of the old 178mm Swifts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6288.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.1 KB ID:	189988

Looks like about 20mm of preload with the spring perches at their absolute lowest setting. This yields a roughly 50/50 bump/droop ratio at the point of bump stop engagement, by which point the springs should be delivering around 330 lbs more force. Hoping all of that makes bump stop hits less frequent and less horrible.

Per the spring's spec, it should be at least 5 mm short of coil bind even when the bump stop runs out of give. So, hopefully no coil bind from here on.

Though, ironically, I might never know because roads around here are night-and-day better than before. Which, honestly, would be fine by me...

I put a few miles on the car since putting everything back together and it seems the noise I had been chasing is gone. So, I guess it was the worn camber plate monoballs after all.

Ended up having a conversation with FK, who makes the monoball in the TMS Hybrid camber plates. Monoball camber plates are a weird application for spherical bearings: they load the bearing axially, which spherical bearings are not designed for and not very good at. For applications with high axial load, the FK rep recommended the "F1 fit" variant, which is tighter and should be able to take more load. Apparently ECS uses the looser F2 fit in their plates. Food for thought for a future rebuild.
                2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

So you bought completely new plates instead of new bearings/seals? Do you have any pictures of the torn seals? I don't like the way the seals in the E46 M3 Hybrid plates work, but they are what they are.
                  2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Originally posted by K-Dawg View Post
                    So you bought completely new plates instead of new bearings/seals? Do you have any pictures of the torn seals? I don't like the way the seals in the E46 M3 Hybrid plates work, but they are what they are.
                    Correct. Mainly because I didn’t know what was involved, couldn’t find instructions/guidance, and didn’t want to risk another project, more delays, etc.

Now that I have everything apart, it looks pretty straightforward TBH.

This is the only pic I have:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	A0E0B3E4-FCF9-4BD4-A82C-DA167F10C1C8.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	190190
                    This is of the one with the play in the monoball. The other one wasn’t all smashed to the side like that but its dust seal had similar looking cracks, which turned out to be all the way through.
                    Attached Files
                    2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

Working...
                    X