This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e82s65 View Post

so as of now, I’m going to download a hex editor software and continue on with the diy attempt, and hopefully I can get it sorted. If not, or if I run out of time, I’ll resort to having someone else take care of it.
    It's super easy, the hardest part is finding the offset location in the file then you just have to change 40 82 to 48 00 (that is for MSS65, but please go read the details as the location depends on the version the dme is on for the S85), post in the EWS delete topic if you need help, but it's super easy. It's pretty much the easiest change you can make to a hex/binary file.

Comment

Originally posted by e82s65 View Post
      Hello,
      You need hardware/software tool to modify the ISN in CAS. That way you don't have to worry about VO mismatch or anything else.

R270 and probably some tools from Xhorse are able to do that.

Comment

Terra, thank you once again for releasing this great tool. As I've played around with it lately and successfully learned how to read, make changes and write files to my car I am incredibly grateful a tool like this exist and is available to the public.

Just had a thought about this section here:
        Originally posted by terra View Post
        I didn’t listen to you about your cable, flashed my DME, and now my car won’t start. What do I do now?
        If you can’t find a 2007 DME, then you can still make things work with a newer DME, but it becomes a little more complicated. Plug the new DME into the car, and recover the EWS Secret Key from that DME. Now you need to burn that key into your car’s CAS module.
        If a new DME is used, can the EWS delete that was found in the other thread be applied to the new DME, can that then work without the need to burn the new key into the CAS?

- Trevor

Comment

Hello all! Nice to finally find an open source community/discussion for the s65. Former Mitsubishi guy used to easy access with Tactrix and EvoScan. I'm hoping to bridge some coding wizards to help flush things out, these engines deserve options. I've spent a few months now researching what options are available off the shelf and I can see it has been a tightly held market. Still reading through all the posts, very excited with what I'm seeing so far.

Comment

Originally posted by tdott View Post

Just had a thought about this section here:

If a new DME is used, can the EWS delete that was found in the other thread be applied to the new DME, can that then work without the need to burn the new key into the CAS?

- Trevor
            If by "new" DME, you mean a used one obtained from a salvage yard, then yes, absolutely. I just did this.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaul View Post

If by "new" DME, you mean a used one obtained from a salvage yard, then yes, absolutely. I just did this.
              Yes sorry that is what I meant. Did you do this on a s85 or s65?

Someone said it may cause limp mode on a s65, but I haven't tested it yet.

Comment

Is it worth getting an ICOM and using ISTA-P for the E9x M3? Or will the KDAN be sufficient? Please excuse my non bimmer terminology but my goal is to pull current ROM and verify whether I have most current OEM version and whether the car has already had a canned or custom flash. Purchased 09 M3 E93 used but signs of possible modifications removed/stripped prior to sale etc. I have the bimmergeeks cable now and already coded features using Carly. I have enough performance power added mods, upcoming exhaust and I will be doing H pipe, or splitfire, and attempt to grab some low end torque although the rear is already squirrely enough haha so looking to get a solid foundation to properly e-tune the vehicle, which I've successfully done on Mitsubishi very easily. For those who like numbered questions instead of long winded paragraphs:
                1) ICOM Next and ISTA-P for E9x M3, yes or no?
                2) Best software/method to pull ROM without bricking?
                3) Best method/software for logging pulls in 3rd?
                4) Best method for flashing ROM without bricking?

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide, I'm finding the BMW tuning market somewhat of an exercise in empire building and very confusing compared to other makes.

Cheers,
                James

Comment

Originally posted by Stringgrinder View Post
                  Is it worth getting an ICOM and using ISTA-P for the E9x M3? Or will the KDAN be sufficient? Please excuse my non bimmer terminology but my goal is to pull current ROM and verify whether I have most current OEM version and whether the car has already had a canned or custom flash. Purchased 09 M3 E93 used but signs of possible modifications removed/stripped prior to sale etc. I have the bimmergeeks cable now and already coded features using Carly. I have enough performance power added mods, upcoming exhaust and I will be doing H pipe, or splitfire, and attempt to grab some low end torque although the rear is already squirrely enough haha so looking to get a solid foundation to properly e-tune the vehicle, which I've successfully done on Mitsubishi very easily. For those who like numbered questions instead of long winded paragraphs:
                  1) ICOM Next and ISTA-P for E9x M3, yes or no?
                  2) Best software/method to pull ROM without bricking?
                  3) Best method/software for logging pulls in 3rd?
                  4) Best method for flashing ROM without bricking?

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide, I'm finding the BMW tuning market somewhat of an exercise in empire building and very confusing compared to other makes.

Cheers,
                  James
                  1) No, it is not worth getting an ICOM for what you say you want to do. If you want to update the programming for the CIC then yes. Otherwise, no. Only MOST bus modules need it. As for ISTA-P, I find no utility in it. It will insist on doing things you really might not want to do - you can't easily update just one, selected module.

2) No software will brick anything if you are only trying to read a module's memory. Keep in mind that it you have a custom tune you will not be able to read it with any of the commonly available packages. The tuners will encrypt the file they distribute and alter parameters in the DME so it cannot be read by OBDII. In addition, most MSS60 DMEs are programmed at the factory to prevent BDM reads so that option is generally out.

But if all you want to do is ascertain factory software level, you can do that with INPA (BMW standard tools) and any DCAN cable, even a junk Chinese knockoff. MSS6x flasher is also a great option and it is far easier to install. It will give you the installed software version info and read the entire flash - it will even give you the SK/ISN (although that is not read out from its original location in protected memory).

3) Good luck with logging - I've used BMWLogger - it is antique, awkward and inflexible. NOWHERE near as nice as MHD logger for the N54. It does work but if you find something better, let me know.

4) By far the best option for flashing the DME with program or calibration data that you've edited is MSS6x with the Bimmergeeks cable. It's been said multiple times but just to make sure, you MUST get either the Bimmergeeks cable (or one with properly updated firmware),or update the firmware yourself. If all you want to do is update the factory software to the most current version, just use WinKFP (BMW Standard tools). Again, you MUST use an updated cable
                  Last edited by dpaul; 02-03-2022, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by omhl View Post

this is primary a R&D thread... i don't think it has to be beneficial just to justify doing testing or trying things out.
                    That being said e92 m3 has a soft limiter. It is easier to see if this soft limiter by setting a higher rpm vs one thats too close to stock.
                    That way its easier to see if the changes i make to other mappings is fixes the issue or not.
                    Could be wrong, and still reading all posts so not sure if this was answered alreadt, but it's a safety feature in the TCU with DCT cars. When I'm in paddle mode the transmission will automatically shift based on TCU rev limits. I can't bounce my needle the car will shift to save the tranny. So you can flash an increased rev limiter on the ECU of a DCT car but you'll never get it unless the TCU matches. Most likely...

Comment

1) No, it is not worth getting an ICOM for what you say you want to do. If you want to update the programming for the CIC then yes. Otherwise, no. Only MOST bus modules need it. As for ISTA-P, I find no utility in it. It will insist on doing things you really might not want to do - you can't easily update just one, selected module.

2) No software will brick anything if you are only trying to read a module's memory. Keep in mind that it you have a custom tune you will not be able to read it with any of the commonly available packages. The tuners will encrypt the file they distribute and alter parameters in the DME so it cannot be read by OBDII. In addition, most MSS60 DMEs are programmed at the factory to prevent BDM reads so that option is generally out.

But if all you want to do is ascertain factory software level, you can do that with INPA (BMW standard tools) and any DCAN cable, even a junk Chinese knockoff. MSS6x flasher is also a great option and it is far easier to install. It will give you the installed software version info and read the entire flash - it will even give you the SK/ISN (although that is not read out from its original location in protected memory).

3) Good luck with logging - I've used BMWLogger - it is antique, awkward and inflexible. NOWHERE near as nice as MHD logger for the N54. It does work but if you find something better, let me know.

4) By far the best option for flashing the DME with program or calibration data that you've edited is MSS6x with the Bimmergeeks cable. It's been said multiple times but just to make sure, you MUST get either the Bimmergeeks cable (or one with properly updated firmware),or update the firmware yourself. If all you want to do is update the factory software to the most current version, just use WinKFP (BMW Standard tools). Again, you MUST use an updated cable
                      Not helpful at all lol

Comment

Check out how easy all this is for others... I have a Bimmergeeks cable. I refuse to flash a canned tune.

Log the most advanced and important engine parameters of your Mitsubishi Lancer Evo or Subaru to tune the engine, diagnose fault codes and ultimately remap and reflash the ECU.

Comment

Originally posted by Stringgrinder View Post

Check out how easy all this is for others... I have a Bimmergeeks cable. I refuse to flash a canned tune.

Log the most advanced and important engine parameters of your Mitsubishi Lancer Evo or Subaru to tune the engine, diagnose fault codes and ultimately remap and reflash the ECU.
                          Sorry, does this have anything to do with the E90 M3?
                          Are trying to make the point that tuning tools are better developed on other platforms? That point has not escaped us. There are a whole lot more Subarus out there than M3s and the entry fee is a whole lot lower.
                          Your refusal to flash a canned tune is admirable. Please keep us informed of your progress.

Comment

Are trying to make the point that tuning tools are better developed on other platforms? That point has not escaped us. There are a whole lot more Subarus out there than M3s and the entry fee is a whole lot lower.
                            Your refusal to flash a canned tune is admirable. Please keep us informed of your progress.
                            Well, since I'm an M3 E93 owner and can't access my ECU without reading for several hours a day, purchasing 3 different cables without knowing which will work... still no idea what software to use... has a lot to do with the disfunction taking place for sure. Ok, I'll keep ya posted... but I guess you don't want to help?

Comment

Empire building at it's finest...

Comment

Thank you this is helpful. I just didn't want to put in this much work in anymore, but I guess I won't have a choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X