This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dpaul View Post

1) No, it is not worth getting an ICOM for what you say you want to do. If you want to update the programming for the CIC then yes. Otherwise, no. Only MOST bus modules need it. As for ISTA-P, I find no utility in it. It will insist on doing things you really might not want to do - you can't easily update just one, selected module.
    I wasn't really worried about the CIC as car already has the newest Android 11 head unit installed. But since you brought this up... what level of modification is possible using ISTA-P? My main issue with current setup is they ran the head unit audio through the Aux port, worst way to run audio really as without a preamp you lose A LOT. Car has indivudual audio so my annoyance is the loss of quality using the aux port. Would ISTA-P be capable enough, or is there another method to integrate head unit. My guess is they took the easy route and basically I have an expensive I-Pod right now, the display works seamlessly transitioning between android and i-drive, but the audio is sub par. Any insights on this issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Stringgrinder View Post

I wasn't really worried about the CIC as car already has the newest Android 11 head unit installed. But since you brought this up... what level of modification is possible using ISTA-P? My main issue with current setup is they ran the head unit audio through the Aux port, worst way to run audio really as without a preamp you lose A LOT. Car has indivudual audio so my annoyance is the loss of quality using the aux port. Would ISTA-P be capable enough, or is there another method to integrate head unit. My guess is they took the easy route and basically I have an expensive I-Pod right now, the display works seamlessly transitioning between android and i-drive, but the audio is sub par. Any insights on this issue?
      Sure.

But all this is completely off-topic and it would be customary to ask the question elsewhere. E90post has a lot of discussion related to all the issues you bring up.

Briefly, ISTA-D (diagnostic) and -P (programming) are dealer-level software. ISTA-P is smart in the sense that it will assess the update level (I-level) of all the modules in the vehicle then attempt to bring them all up to the most current status in one session. It's stupid in that you simply have to accept what it wants to do - it is difficult to apply selectively and with common sense. For this reason, you should ONLY use it with an ICOM adapter because that is what a dealer would use. BMW Standard Tools is a suite of factory-level tools - extremely powerful and streamlined. IMHO It can do more, do it more quickly and do it with a higher level of control than ISTA-P. However, there's a bit of a learning curve and it is mostly in German.

Neither of these is for making modifications to existing module programming outside of the special class called 'coding' - choosing between preset available factory options, like having the key fob put the top down or getting rid of the idiot warning screens on the CIC. Their value is primarily in providing quite sophisticated diagnostic options and in the case of ISTA-D, an extensive set of wiring diagrams, connector pinouts and locations and factory approved repair procedures. Carly is a sort of poor man's version of INPA and NCSExpert. Only you have to pay for that - BST and ISTA-D are free.

Neither of these or any other software package can do what it sounds like you want to do, which is integrate your android head unit into the I-drive system. A 'better' solution is to put the old head unit (CIC) back and install a 'Mr 12volt' carplay/android play adapter. It's the only one I know of that uses the MOST bus instead of AUX to introduce the audio. Read about it on e90post. The 'best' solution is to adapt a more modern BMW headunit (called NBT Evo). That's not for the faint of heart and it is very expensive ($2000-$2500).
      Last edited by dpaul; 02-05-2022, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaul View Post

Sure.

But all this is completely off-topic and it would be customary to ask the question elsewhere. E90post has a lot of discussion related to all the issues you bring up.

Briefly, ISTA-D (diagnostic) and -P (programming) are dealer-level software. ISTA-P is smart in the sense that it will assess the update level (I-level) of all the modules in the vehicle then attempt to bring them all up to the most current status in one session. It's stupid in that you simply have to accept what it wants to do - it is difficult to apply selectively and with common sense. For this reason, you should ONLY use it with an ICOM adapter because that is what a dealer would use. BMW Standard Tools is a suite of factory-level tools - extremely powerful and streamlined. IMHO It can do more, do it more quickly and do it with a higher level of control than ISTA-P. However, there's a bit of a learning curve and it is mostly in German.

Neither of these is for making modifications to existing module programming outside of the special class called 'coding' - choosing between preset available factory options, like having the key fob put the top down or getting rid of the idiot warning screens on the CIC. Their value is primarily in providing quite sophisticated diagnostic options and in the case of ISTA-D, an extensive set of wiring diagrams, connector pinouts and locations and factory approved repair procedures. Carly is a sort of poor man's version of INPA and NCSExpert. Only you have to pay for that - BST and ISTA-D are free.

Neither of these or any other software package can do what it sounds like you want to do, which is integrate your android head unit into the I-drive system. A 'better' solution is to put the old head unit (CIC) back and install a 'Mr 12volt' carplay/android play adapter. It's the only one I know of that uses the MOST bus instead of AUX to introduce the audio. Read about it on e90post. The 'best' solution is to adapt a more modern BMW headunit (called NBT Evo). That's not for the faint of heart and it is very expensive ($2000-$2500).
        Really?

Comment

Originally posted by Stringgrinder View Post

Not helpful at all lol
          You want everything handed to you on a silver platter?
          good luck with that.

Comment

Originally posted by tdott View Post

You want everything handed to you on a silver platter?
            good luck with that.
            Well, had a chance to read through everything. Nah I've never had anything handed to me thanks. Was just asking questions... in a forum... which is the whole reason they exist...
            Panties twisted?

Comment

Apparently this is a closed discussion lmao

Comment

Guys,

I am a little lost here, I have installed BMW tools from BMW Geeks and also using the cable to match and followed all instructions, for some reason, with the flasher and with INPA, I am getting no connection to the car, flasher says unsupported/unknown and INPA just wont connect.

I am trying to connect to an E9X. I have turned down the latency to 1 also obd.ini is set at comport 1 as also in my device manager. Still nothing, the switch on the cable does this need to be pressed down or is that for older bmws?

Also this Dcan.exe application, do I need to use that in the background to archive a DCAN connection? Im lost... Also is there an LED indicator on the Bimmergeeks cable? Because that isnt coming on either.

Thanks in advance.
                Last edited by mrvex; 04-14-2022, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrvex View Post
                  Guys,

I am a little lost here, I have installed BMW tools from BMW Geeks and also using the cable to match and followed all instructions, for some reason, with the flasher and with INPA, I am getting no connection to the car, flasher says unsupported/unknown and INPA just wont connect.

I am trying to connect to an E9X. I have turned down the latency to 1 also obd.ini is set at comport 1 as also in my device manager. Still nothing, the switch on the cable does this need to be pressed down or is that for older bmws?

Also this Dcan.exe application, do I need to use that in the background to archive a DCAN connection? Im lost... Also is there an LED indicator on the Bimmergeeks cable? Because that isnt coming on either.

Thanks in advance.
                  Do you have a switch K / DCAN on your OBD cable?

Comment

Yeah ive tried it in both positions with the switch pressed and depressed with INPA, I am getting IFH 0003 data transmission to interface disturbed. Thats when trying to open the engine ecu.. I am starting to think the cable is dead because I have tried everything else apart from the IP address change inside ediabas.ini which I have heard isnt needed anyway..

The led doesnt come on at all but the cable is recognized in device manager as normal and I am able to change port settings etc. Am I doing something wrong? I dont think I am because I have never had such issues before on other cars and the fact that mss6x flasher is basic when you have 10flash.PRG etc in the ediabas folders etc it should just read the ecu easily... Im stumped.

Comment

Hello everybody,
                      I Flash an e92 m3 with MSS60x flasher with original ecuworx m3 e92 cable
                      It failed during the RSA ByPass
                      I tried read with TOOL32 but no connection to ECU.
                      I have original dump but only a Ktag and i can't read it, i don't know why..

What i can do ?

Comment

Originally posted by steph57 View Post
                        Hello everybody,
                        I Flash an e92 m3 with MSS60x flasher with original ecuworx m3 e92 cable
                        It failed during the RSA ByPass
                        I tried read with TOOL32 but no connection to ECU.
                        I have original dump but only a Ktag and i can't read it, i don't know why..

What i can do ?
                        You can't read the CPU memory or the extern flash ? If you just can't read the CPU processor it probably comes from that your injection CPU is censored. The only way to recover it is to uncensor it with special BDM tool and carefully read the "MSS60 research" topic.
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwN...zf45mXp6PDOCzA

Comment

Hello, thanks for your answer
                          actually I can’t identify the ÉCU by obd and I can’t read left or right side of the MPC with my ktag

Comment

It probably means that your two CPU are locked. I've seen in the program 240E and 241E that the locked routine is also in igntion side.

Can you read the extern flash ?
                            Last edited by MpowerE36; 05-01-2022, 08:51 AM.

Comment

No i can't read anything. No ext no Int flash, it's a 170E

Comment

Originally posted by steph57 View Post
                                No i can't read anything. No ext no Int flash, it's a 170E
                                Have you already used your Ktag with this ecu before your problem ? If not, check the connections to the bdm port. You must have communication with your ecu whatever the corruption of the intern or extern memory.
                                Last edited by MpowerE36; 05-02-2022, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X