any experience with LUK TOB??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pawelgawel View Post
    that is exactly like that... from what ive heard, its an updated design to give a little flexibility when parts a moving. most likely ill stick to this one if i can't get anything else this week.. as for the Pilot bearing, Ill call bmw tomorrow morning. but interesting enough, 2 FAG bearings are exactly the same but one was made in KOREA while the other in PORTUGAL.
    If it was an updated design, that’s what you’d get if you ordered the part from BMW.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

local bmw shop doesn't stock either lol, awesome. ill check one more place and if thats a no go, ill roll the dice on these and use a little thread sealant on the pilot

Comment

Since discussion veered towards the pilot bearing, here's some of the findings I had posted on m3f.

The original OE BMW bearing was from NTN, the OE BMW replacement was from KOYO, the one included in the LUK kit was from KBC.

Realoem notes the bearing should be 15x32x10 (ID, OD, thickness in mm). The two OE BMW bearings measured approx 10mm thick whereas the KBC was 1mm less.
        Does that 1mm difference matter? I don't know.

Also, the OE bearings were noticeable smoother. Not that the KBC was not smooth, but the difference was noticeable.

Again, I went with an OE bearing for peace of mind.

Click image for larger version

Name:	b6PRFnE8Fu98AqVUuWao4ZbvmyVHCZiQ6nHa40lQt2--rNVzMm2L4aBJ1zWepXL_rWmBtV_DV7Er0M8dHTIdrDzAZo9hkFaeyb3-RetOz3Hsg2jzTlhPo420xfzoLzwngFq9TODsafZN4olO2zCkEtrBNwbZYirzFS-cf-n-SXircq4ZbVWnAaHPWT243vlnsjYq1W6fIThBSJcYUY-zOO4ifHUI_7LXRWSuBvUWF7LmrSqdCGUif2HoouLvxrt
Views:	282
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	100380

Name:	FtLaI8JUKYfyxClBuooF_CNDj9D_7SpU46dQn3bTOE2WSKJVzovy0Jtgw5-gKcGCqYUPHdFO4i0VObj42g3EM2B4Kb7MQnITo1FaNJK0V-8HAgmoQmiiW9ko36ro4vGJhOasHNQ8xjtTdL1bFhtFKryTsq9G1rF8JCOtPMw8khXtNIKlZYnMQkjhwmvGRMfcBXhFo_cB85vXk2DK1UURLSr25UJhyy3_3ZXDsUKCDs-knTfEl8qen5wbp3QZJRm
Views:	269
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	100381

Name:	zSYEXObpt21kyLN2Q-isvPZwRhcuTYP5As-Vp-I_Th1MHmumY7rMpkyz8BQ7NS8CGBs__NwpyQmzI-pSfyMUgbTrXNgfrC246POnmyub39ayL4WjJBR5EjDXteKaIl1Zu70BROVLRvmLXe3OIEOg0Fxvfa9kzXzMYTWZNKVok7QdIdJP7aFSBMlae_yOYc-KxwV7wvI3_M_pJYdqo1vj738Bmc6lMp6OaE4YZZGsHc8qrbge-yU1nyx26AT4f7q
Views:	273
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	100382

Name:	Y3qND-XoiGyHZlbMYnF8Mp6ELku-d4S9WQ6dE4EPxRpleGvwb1_G63yz4RFRvpzkjrqMz1FipLIr7_NabSx2dsnmRMc8L5mytPLmuQmqe3aDPipuMzp6le3St-4v2gisGXpJKdSLH39kObKpTTcwXnagaDz2qm4NMHaGQkRl06Bw8ASxzOD2GXXvkdzaQkH4QXr68_c4p6Z_KDVskUmDTv7W-mZMIcvsN1zguiweiTgDClYIXX5YVaGKl8Awzyw
Views:	272
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	100383

Name:	570NbW6wCTTJX6G0g8jLiYgcWs3TcmbykyDw637ZQvxN148yaKJIXcNYYYASbYqHObwRri2GeAFtvds9Z9YKPfrZWhcqyI007FBi8yRU7k9UoBt_7ziZyq9usdxuY92xOrWfG6J40TZXHzDUy6hERc8ct9LpstCfojDWBO-fqs0i1Dh-QvycLk3kkKLSlAI7WWkqhUcbA7rMp-2UHliVqCl1Hv6pqq62-lbHDedPAnoB-L541rQonCBvQdltrYa
Views:	260
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	100384

Comment

the thinness is not much of concern, but the actual diameter is the issue. I purchased 3 bearings and all are .001" less than original and slide in perfectly without being pressed in. I looked at NTN today as it is the original, but the one that is not sold by BMW is same messurement as the FAGs and KBC that I have, it is also .001" less in diameter and 1mm thinner. So after a discussion with the bearing master, he said BMW might actually request a special one just for their application. I ordered one for $50 lol and its coming tomorrow morning. We will see

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
            It's not. Dimensions are wrong and it's... sloppy.

Video I made of new LUK vs new OE BMW:

Dimension are wrong??? Take your measure from were the TOB touch clutch fork to the contact face with pressure plate instead of having them side by side. You will see they have the same dimension. Even if OEM is a bit longer it doesn’t matter cause that part is only sliding on the tube.

If dimension were wrong, the first times you would press the clutch pedal with a Luk TOB the clutch slave would burst Same if you replace the pivot pin and push it all the way instead of leaving some space like OEM, this will affect the dimension and will affect the clutch slave travel and will get you into problems.

That being said, I replaced clutch on both my E46 M3 this winter and put OEM TOB but LUK would work totally fine.
            2002 BMW E46 M3 TiAg 6mt Track car project
            2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
            2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

I installed the LUK TOB about 2000km ago and no problems at all so far, clutch works perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post

Dimension are wrong??? Take your measure from were the TOB touch clutch fork to the contact face with pressure plate instead of having them side by side. You will see they have the same dimension. Even if OEM is a bit longer it doesn’t matter cause that part is only sliding on the tube.

If dimension were wrong, the first times you would press the clutch pedal with a Luk TOB the clutch slave would burst Same if you replace the pivot pin and push it all the way instead of leaving some space like OEM, this will affect the dimension and will affect the clutch slave travel and will get you into problems.

That being said, I replaced clutch on both my E46 M3 this winter and put OEM TOB but LUK would work totally fine.
                what do you mean about the PIVOT PIN? i put on the brass one and hammered it in all the way down. is that not correct?
                Ill be using the LUK TOB, decided Ill got with it, I don't think they will be any issues.. as for the Pilot bearing, I ordered OE and waiting till tomorrow morning

Comment

what do you mean about the PIVOT PIN? i put on the brass one and hammered it in all the way down. is that not correct?
                  Ill be using the LUK TOB, decided Ill got with it, I don't think they will be any issues.. as for the Pilot bearing, I ordered OE and waiting till tomorrow morning
                  You should go with the stainless steel pivot pin instead of brass, I heard brass will wear out with time.

You should have measure the pivot pin and put the other one at the same place. It’s not hammer all the way in. Take a look here at my old OEM pivot pin. See there is stain that make a line, it wasn’t hammer all the way down, you can put a washer behind the get the correct spacing. If you hammer it all the way down, you might end up with the clutch slave pin dropping into the bellhousing and oil all over the clutch/bellhousing. Ask me how I know...

Attached Files
                  2002 BMW E46 M3 TiAg 6mt Track car project
                  2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
                  2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

ahh I see, Ill look at it right now.. thanks for the tip. as for the brass, its a little late for that now, I should have just got the BMW SS from the 850ci they used it in.. the trany is going in asap and from what I see, not too many people complain about the brass. I thought of reusing my old since it was still in great shape, Im sure this brass will be better than OEM anyways.

also found something that explains the new TOB
                    View attachment clutch_pivot.pdf
                    Last edited by pawelgawel; 04-23-2021, 04:21 AM.

Comment

I ended up comparing the brass and OE pin, the brass had a thinker ring so it sat at same height as the OE being pressed in down without a washer. As for the Pilot bearing, BMW sold me KOYO which is different dimension from other "OEM" aka FAG, NTN, KBC... looks like that is BMW only application.

Comment

What About this?

Comment

I've been using LuK clutch kits for years with their TOB and no issues with those bearings. I do use a OE Pilot bearing from BMW with every install, throw the LuK away.

With that said we've had customers request OE TOB and I have parts warrantied (3) in the last (3) years for making noise.
                          '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Alpine 330iT
                          Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                          Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
                            I like Sachs, that is OE supplier, but you see its has a composite sleve as well.. with this in mind im very confident in INA bearings (OE supplier) and the new version View attachment clutch_pivot.pdf

Comment

I like Sachs, that is OE supplier, but you see its has a composite sleve as well.. with this in mind im very confident in INA bearings (OE supplier) and the new version View attachment clutch_pivot.pdf
                              There is no "new version" unless BMW updates it. The version that pivots is the non M version-- it has always been like that, the M version never was.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i
                              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Im only basing this on the memo clearly from 2015 as stated "New", and does mention the 420G trany. Movement or no movement, I don't see the TOB from the kit as a bad one. Its an INA bearing and to me, from common sense perspective, the tilt gives a better surface contact.

Comment

Working...
                                X