Gear identification switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EYEHAVEYOU View Post

Do you know if the “roller pin” is included with the below part, or is it separate?

No, it's only the sensor. Part #8 is the roller pin.

Comment

Did you ever resolve this? I'm having an intermittent starting issue that seems to be resolved when I move the gear lever around while starting, wondering it's related to the gear identification switch.
      My car is a 2004 manual, so you may have to approach the problem from an SMG perspective if so equipped.
      I changed the clutch module.
      First with the "898' which allows the car to start but not cruise control. The original part number was NLA.
      There are sporadic stalling issues associated with this module, but no starting problems.

Planned to use the euro switch, but did not have a windows laptop to code out the ews.
      Finally the original part number became available, so solved the issue completely with this module.

Comment

Did you ever resolve this? I'm having an intermittent starting issue that seems to be resolved when I move the gear lever around while starting, wondering it's related to the gear identification switch.
        This is strange, as the EWS only cares if the clutch switch activated or not in order to start the engine.

Comment

The EWS module enables cranking... the EWS is only looking for the status of the clutch pedal, it has no cares about whether the trans is in gear or not.

Even then I have never heard of a DME looking for a gear position to enable starting and considering how many SMG swapped cars are out there without a GPS I think we would have some data on that.
          '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
          Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
          Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
            considering how many SMG swapped cars are out there without a GPS I think we would have some data on that.
            Agree that the DME/EWS doesn't use GPS for cranking.
            GPS for manual box is equivalent to shift rod actuator encoder (the sensor at the tail shift rod) for SMG, which are used for controlling idle and injectors fuel cut off for both SMG and manual.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
              Agree that the DME/EWS doesn't use GPS for cranking.
              The DME is not involved with cranking either, only the EWS.
              '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
              Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
              Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Thanks all for the additional thoughts, guess GPS isn't relevant here. My car is factory manual transmission, nothing SMG related. Agree it's very strange... can't explain why moving the gear lever results in the car starting, but I've unfortunately had to test this about 8 times now, and that seems to do the trick.

I replaced the clutch switch module back in 2019 (for no reason, as the starter turned out to be the issue then). A buddy helped me test the current clutch switch in INPA and seemed OK, but I suppose if it's an intermittent issue it might not have appeared during testing. May just replace clutch switch module again and hope for the best.

Comment

Agree it's very strange... can't explain why moving the gear lever results in the car starting, but I've unfortunately had to test this about 8 times now, and that seems to do the trick.
                  Then, I wonder if it cranks with gears engaged or neutral, or doesn't matter as long as you move it around trial-error.

Comment

When you "move the gear stick", are you depressing the clutch pedal?
                    Are you actually changing and engaging the gears? Or are you wiggling the gear stick?

Comment

Depressing the clutch pedal and keeping the key in the crank position, including a video here to show you what I mean. Lights come on but nothing else happens until I start moving gear lever through the gears - sometimes it starts almost immediately, other times I’ve gotten to sixth gear before it started. Again this is an intermittent issue, only happens on ~1/10 starts. Didn’t have any issues this past weekend.

https://youtube.com/shorts/x4V7OjSBomk?feature=share

Originally posted by FBloggs View Post
                      When you "move the gear stick", are you depressing the clutch pedal?
                      Are you actually changing and engaging the gears? Or are you wiggling the gear stick?
                      Last edited by EYEHAVEYOU; 11-09-2022, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Depressing the clutch pedal and keeping the key in the crank position, including a video here to show you what I mean. Lights come on but nothing else happens until I start moving gear lever through the gears - sometimes it starts almost immediately, other times I’ve gotten to sixth gear before it started. Again this is an intermittent issue, only happens on ~1/10 starts. Didn’t have any issues this past weekend.

https://youtube.com/shorts/x4V7OjSBomk?feature=share

To close the loop here, I replaced the clutch switch module (with this, which came as an all black part: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/61319122700/) and it seems to have fixed my issue - done about a dozen starts with no issues over the weekend. Also seems to have fixed my slightly low idle issue; when clutching in, the car previously would idle below 1K RPMS and almost stall ocassionally, now it idles right at or slightly above 1K. Weird but happy it seems to be working properly now.

Comment

Yep. The "700" switch is now black.

Comment

when clutching in, the car previously would idle below 1K RPMS and almost stall ocassionally,.
                            clutch in = clutch down = clutch disk disengaged?
                            This happened when car already stopped, or coasting in gear?

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

clutch in = clutch down = clutch disk disengaged?
                              This happened when car already stopped, or coasting in gear?
                              Both. Like the starting issue, it was intermittent. I never had it actually stall on me, but a friend I was storing the car with told me it stalled on him once when he clutched in while parked, right before he tried moving it. Hoping this is resolved now too.

Comment

Both. Like the starting issue, it was intermittent. I never had it actually stall on me, but a friend I was storing the car with told me it stalled on him once when he clutched in while parked, right before he tried moving it. Hoping this is resolved now too.
                                That sounds like the way my car was behaving when I had to get by with the '898' switch that was being touted as THE substitute/fix.

Comment

Working...
                                X