Brain Fart: 87 Octane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brain Fart: 87 Octane

I had a brain fart the other day and filled the car with half 87 octane and half 91 octane (the highest you usually get in California). I blame these currently high gas prices! Since when is $4.15 a gallon the going rate for 87 octane?!

Anyways, should I put in some octane booster? Just drive it all out at moderate speed on the free way without ever really getting into the revs?
    01 M5 Dinan S-2 ish
    03 M3 Dinan S-2 ish

Nothing wrong with putting 87 octane but higher fuel octane is better. I’ve done it once or twice before, doesn’t affect the car in any way. Just drive until you need to fill up again.

Comment

The S54 has knock sensors, so the ECU should back off timing/ignition if it hears knock coming from low octane fuel.

Comment

Just use half the tank, and fill up with 91 or 93 again. You should be fine.
        BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
          The S54 has knock sensors, so the ECU should back off timing/ignition if it hears knock coming from low octane fuel.
          Stock ecu 100% correct. But there are some shitty tunes out there that effectively disable the knock sensors (*cough* Evolve *cough*). So be careful if you are running a tune for a specific octane.

Comment

Just don't hit VTEC and you should be fine
            This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by spnsprt View Post
              I blame these currently high gas prices! Since when is $4.15 a gallon the going rate for 87 octane?!
              Buy some Exxon Mobil stocks and you feel much better when gas price going up

Comment

lol on the stocks. It's got the Dinan tune so hopefully they left the knock sensors in.
                01 M5 Dinan S-2 ish
                03 M3 Dinan S-2 ish

Comment

Originally posted by spnsprt View Post
                  lol on the stocks. It's got the Dinan tune so hopefully they left the knock sensors in.
                  Dinan should be solid

Comment

Working...
                  X