Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rolling Shell

Hello all,

Purchased a non rolling shell this weekend, and I wanted some insight on the easiest/cheapest way to make it a rolling shell... I have an extra set of wheels that I want to mount on so I can move the shell around as needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eBay? Facebook?

Start finding parts.

And nothing with old M cars is cheap. You about to learn lol
    2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
    2005 BMW ///M3
    Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
    2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
    2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
    2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
      eBay? Facebook?

Start finding parts.

And nothing with old M cars is cheap. You about to learn lol
      lol I have an 02, so i’m familiar with prices, but I just wanted more info on the rear subframe, like if the rear shocks n trailing arm is sufficient enough to mount wheels n start rolling lol

Comment

You can sometimes find entire rear ends from cars (subframe, control arms, diff, springs, trailing arms, parking brake cables, rotors, calipers, etc) for like $1k. Check junk yards.

If the car has absolutely nothing (which seems like it is bare), you need a subframe with control arms. The spring supports the weight of the car, not the shock. The spring is sandwiched between the upper control arm (outer end of which mounts to the trailing arm, inner end of which mounts to the subframe) and the body shell.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

How about some moving dollies and ratchet straps? Will most definitely be the cheapest way
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

If youre near NJ you can get some of the bigger non-moving parts used from mpartsworldwide. I know they are the most popular here, but a subframe is just a chunk of metal, they cant really pooch that. You could probably source a lot of parts from them or a junk yard to get it on axles and tires.

just a thought. Otherwise, i agree with heinz, put it on a pallet and dollies.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
              How about some moving dollies and ratchet straps? Will most definitely be the cheapest way
              This is what we did for my friends FD RX7. Man handled it off the trailer and onto some dollies. Do not recommend!!

Comment

OP here’s what you’re gonna do. You’re gonna go on Instagram and you’re going to find this page called Mpartsworldwide.

You’re then going to DM him saying you want a full rear end and front end. Probably going to run you at least $1500-$2k shipped (I haven’t checked prices). It’s not going to be mint condition. It’s going to have worn bushings. But it will be fully functional. (Hey you said cheap).

Then comes the fun part of bolting all that crap into the car. The nice part is it will probably come fully assembled so all you gotta do is bolt up the subframe and shocks etc.

Best of luck with whatever project this is

Comment

Junkyard, with any E46, pull the rear subframe and springs with parking brake cables, it will all swap into that M3, same for the front any E46 front subframe and control arm will bolt on. That's how I do all of my M3 shells to make them mobile.

* I connect the parking brake cables so the car has brakes too

'00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                  Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                  Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
                    Junkyard, with any E46, pull the rear subframe and springs with parking brake cables, it will all swap into that M3, same for the front any E46 front subframe and control arm will bolt on. That's how I do all of my M3 shells to make them mobile.

Thank you! I was wondering if the non m suspension would be able to fit!!! Much appreciated boss

Comment

Working...
                    X