Need Help with Rear Wheels Rubbing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help with Rear Wheels Rubbing!

So here is the setup of my car to give you guys some background info...

Wheels - BBS-CH
    Front - 19x8.5 ET20 (245/35/19)
    Rear - 19x10 ET20 (275/30/19)
    Michelin PS4's

Coilovers - TCKline SA

So the shop that was performing the alignment on my car basically had to set the ride height to stock because the rears are rubbing (right rear particularly). I will post a pic of the alignment specs but I'm not sure now what to do...

Roll fenders?
    Mill the hubs of the wheels?
    Get new wheels?
    Increase more negative camber slightly? It seems like I could increase it more??

I don't like the rake look of the car and I love the look of these wheels and don't want to go through the hassle of getting a new set. I don't even want to drive the car because any slight bump and I hear the noise of death back there. If you guys have any suggestions that would be much appreciated! I can post pics of the car too if you guys want.
    Attached Files

that rear is pretty aggressive as-is. i'll give you my numbers then do some calculations.

my rear is 18x9.5 ET28 on 265/35-18. my camber is at -2.6 and i don't rub. i even put 12mm spacers putting me at et16 and i'm still clear.
    BUT, if i do a track event with the spacers, my tires get chewed up. i remove the spacers and i'm clear. so just keep that in mind.

NOW...running our numbers through WILLTHEYFIT.COM, it says that with my 12mm spacer removed, you still poke out 14.4mm more than me. like i mentioned before, when i put my 12mm spacers, i dno't rub when i'm in the street, so there is a possibility you'll be fine but you'd HAVE TO give yourself a track-based camber setup if you want to lower it. the issue is once you do some aggressive driving, you will rub....let's also add that you're using 275 tires while i'm on 265 so that will just add to it.

sorry man. i'm just not sure this will ever work. others can put their thoughts. i'm just basing my opinion comparing to my setup.
    '06 Carbon Black
    Sabelt, Brey Krause, MCS 2-way, SuperSprint, Karbonius, Epic, Volk

Comment

Hahaa good ol CHs, same fitment as RGRs and a guaranteed rub unless you're running 3 degrees of camber which will then make your car push more so then you'll have to run at least 3.5 in front to balance it.

To summarize, nothing you can do short of selling the wheels, keeping the car stock height, or lots of camber. The sweet spot for me has always been 24-25 for that rear fitment spec, ymmv.
      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Easiest thing to do would probably be to go down to a 265 rear if you don't want to deal with any of the other things you mentioned.

I had a 285 Michelin rear on a 10.5 ET 27 wheel on Eibach springs and they rubbed slightly when I had a rear seat passenger- your wheel should only be 1mm closer to the fender than my setup

Comment

Find wheels that fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
          2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Where the wheels tucked under fenders? I have TCK DAs, but I prefer a stock-ish height. I tested fitted 285s last weekend and they fit flush on a 19x10 et25 285/30/19. Same rear camber numbers.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by 02_lsb; 05-06-2021, 05:53 PM.
            Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

I'm on 10"+25 rears with 285/30/19 PS91's. Lowered on KW V1's. I forget the camber but I'm pretty sure the stock arms are maxed out. Guards have been rolled ever so slightly. Does not rub.

Comment

I guess 5mm makes all the difference. I'm on 18x10 et25 with 275/35-18 and never rubbed. Running pretty stock alignment. Then again it's only lowered half an inch.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies. I talked to my indy mechanic today and he suggested to mill the wheels by 5mm. That would be the cheapest option and then try to increase my rear camber slightly. For some reason my rear camber is apparently maxed out on my stock arms. Even he was shocked and didn't know why. He said I should be able to get to 1.8-2 degrees no problem back there

Here are some pics if anyone is interested
                  Attached Files

Comment

How much are you trying to lower your ride height? Because if you’re trying to lower your car to where the bottom of the fender meets the top of the rim then sorry but your wheels aren’t gonna cut it. You could possibly get them to tuck a bit with rolled fenders and more negative camber but realistically you should only lower it about an inch in the rear. My old setup were ARC-8s 18x10.5 and lowered as much as possible (tucking tire) and on Federal RSR555 275/35/18 and I had about a millimeter or two of clearance between the tire and fender but it never bothered me if it rubbed.

Comment

The camber being maxed out at -1.2 doesn't seem right, have you had any rear end work done to the vehicle or subframe reinforcement done recently?

Comment

Originally posted by AdamM3 View Post
                        The camber being maxed out at -1.2 doesn't seem right, have you had any rear end work done to the vehicle or subframe reinforcement done recently?
                        No subframe work done. Just recently replaced the rear passenger lower control arm because mine was bent and RTAB

Comment

Working...
                        X