The optimal window tint %

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The optimal window tint %

After all these years I'm finally going to tint my JB/black M3. Summers just get so damn hot and I want to keep the interior from getting further damaged from the sun.

I want to go with the same % on all windows. Nothing too dark because I live in CA and technically front tint is not allowed. Also I don't like tint that is too dark at night. Thinking 40% ceramic.

Thoughts on putting an ultra light tint on the windshield? (like clear or 80% to block UV/IR?)

Pics welcome

Originally posted by cobra View Post
    After all these years I'm finally going to tint my JB/black M3. Summers just get so damn hot and I want to keep the interior from getting further damaged from the sun.

I want to go with the same % on all windows. Nothing too dark because I live in CA and technically front tint is not allowed. Also I don't like tint that is too dark at night. Thinking 40% ceramic.

Thoughts on putting an ultra light tint on the windshield? (like clear or 80% to block UV/IR?)

Pics welcome
    I sit in alot of traffic and value privacy /sunblock so I did 20%. I live in CA also and no issues, then again I'm not the kind to flip police off either so ymmv lol. Id personally do the front with ceramic in the lightest tint available. It will be a hazard at night otherwise but really cuts down on heat, should have done mine.

Comment

I have no tint on the m3, but I have 35% ceramic on my daily and I think it’s perfect. Never gets too hot sitting in the sun with the AC on, can still see plenty while driving at night.
      2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

another vote for 35%.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Ditto on the 35%
          2004 M3 Mystic Blue

Comment

Check your state inspection laws. I bought my car from Texas with tint already installed and it failed inspection in North Carolina. It was measure at 18% but state law is 35%. So I have to pay to have it removed and then reinstalled. Suck... I'm attaching a photo of what it looks like with 18% (note - there is none on the windshield but all the other windows). After doing some research I intent to go with Llumar ceramic which seems to be the best. Hope this helps...
            Attached Files

Comment

35% was too dark for me (getting old lol).

switched it up to 55% ceramic, and it’s the perfect balance of fishbowl and showing off the imola interior

Comment

No darker than 35%. Dark tints on old looking cars tend to look cheap

Comment

I've got 35% on the front windows and 20% on the rear windows
                  2005 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Imola Red 6MT

Comment

Zero
                    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Clear for me (80% just for a bit of interior protection). I wouldn’t go too dark on black especially because the lines of the car disappear, turns into a blob

Click image for larger version

Name:	B70ABF1B-B462-4FAA-8B11-2BA83F697B4C.jpeg
Views:	1619
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	103621
                      Attached Files

Comment

70% ceramic for me, not a fan of the tint look but appreciate the heat reduction

all glass done except the windshield, tint fades and blurs over time and the front is too vision critical to mess around with

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                          Zero
                          Thought I was the only one, tint feels antithetical on sports cars to me.
                          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Just looks ghetto to me. I always had it, living in Socal. And when you're young, it's cool. But after a while.... I'm talking about dark tint, 5% - 20%. 35% looks better for sure.

Only thing I'll say is it did preserve my interior very well over the years since my car was only garaged about half the time.

I see the allure of getting clear ceramic tint, if the car is outside often enough.
                            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                              Just looks ghetto to me. I always had it, living in Socal. And when you're young, it's cool. But after a while.... I'm talking about dark tint, 5% - 20%. 35% looks better for sure.

Only thing I'll say is it did preserve my interior very well over the years since my car was only garaged about half the time.

I see the allure of getting clear ceramic tint, if the car is outside often enough.
                              I absolutely hate the fishbowl look-- don't like people being able to look inside my car or directly into my eyes. At the same time too dark of tint also looks bad, messes up visibility (I have bad eyes as it is lol), and is a straight-up cop magnet. 35% is perfect imo.

I have a friend with 10% all around on his daily including the front windshield. I'm literally afraid to ride in that car at night cause I can't see a thing out of it.
                              2005 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Imola Red 6MT

Comment

Working...
                              X