The optimal window tint %

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
    Clear for me (80% just for a bit of interior protection). I wouldn’t go too dark on black especially because the lines of the car disappear, turns into a blob

Click image for larger version

Name:	B70ABF1B-B462-4FAA-8B11-2BA83F697B4C.jpeg
Views:	1634
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	103621
    This is PERFECT! Which brand tint did you go with? Is the windshield tinted? Is this a ceramic film?

Note: this thread came up when I searched "E46 M3 tint" on google.

Comment

I ended up getting 35% on side/rear and nothing on the windshield. Couldn't be happier.

The temperature reduction on hot days is incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
        I ended up getting 35% on side/rear and nothing on the windshield. Couldn't be happier.

The temperature reduction on hot days is incredible.
        Do an 80% ceramic on the windshield and you'll get pretty much the same heat rejection as all the rest of your glass. Let's not forget glare reducing properties which is very important.

Post a pic if you have one.

Comment

80% ceramic windshield.

used to go 20% for sides and rear in my younger days...stick to 35-50% depending on what's already on the window, or the paint of the car nowadays. I think I did 40% side/rears this time.

I think the most important thing when selecting a tinter is asking how they address the dot matrix on these bimmer windows....they all have a "way"....some better than others
          /// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

When I did mine I went 35% all around. Just dark enough at night that you'll still be able to make out cars in the rear view.

Comment

I think 20% on a daily (nothing on windshield). M3 - no tint.
              Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

Originally posted by ugaexploder View Post
                80% ceramic windshield.

used to go 20% for sides and rear in my younger days...stick to 35-50% depending on what's already on the window, or the paint of the car nowadays. I think I did 40% side/rears this time.

I think the most important thing when selecting a tinter is asking how they address the dot matrix on these bimmer windows....they all have a "way"....some better than others
                Dot matrix is definitely key. Good tinters usually wet sand or go over the dot matrix with 0000 steel wool. You just have to clean the glass extremely thoroughly so you don’t get those micro dust bubbles when you lay out the film.

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
                  So after years of having 35%VLT tint on my cars, I had to remove the old tint on my M3 and I fell in love with the look of the car with no tint. BUT there is no way here in 125f temps I could live without tint. I did my research and came across this listing:

The Black Box Tint Precut Window Film Alpine Series. The Black Box Tint UV Demonstration - YouTube. The Black Box Tint Heat Card Demonstration - YouTube. Video will open in a new window. Paste link into a browser window:[isdntekvideo].

These guys were awesome and I purchased the Alpine Precut 2.0 mil kit for my M3 with 70%VLT on the sides and for the rear Windshield 50% VLT. For the X5m and Golf R I'll be sticking to 35% VLT when I place the order plus 70% VLT for the front windscreen.
                  How did these pre cut films work out? Did you have someone install them for you or DIY?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  '04 LSB Coupe 6MT
                  All my money goes towards maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by dukeofchen View Post

How did these pre cut films work out? Did you have someone install them for you or DIY?

Very good. I had a shop install them for me. They have excellent customer service

Comment

Comment

I’m glad to see 80% windshield film is a popular trend on this forum. I love mine so much that I’d never own another vehicle without it.

Here’s my X5 windshield after a fresh wash.
                        80% Solargard Xenith IR ceramic.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by c watson; 10-09-2023, 08:05 PM.

Comment

20%. Best compromise between too dark & too light. Both my m3 & e39 have 20%.

Wifes x3 has 5% lol

Comment

I have 35%

Comment

Working...
                            X