The optimal window tint %

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
    Clear for me (80% just for a bit of interior protection). I wouldn’t go too dark on black especially because the lines of the car disappear, turns into a blob

Click image for larger version

Name:	B70ABF1B-B462-4FAA-8B11-2BA83F697B4C.jpeg
Views:	1549
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	103621
    That is only true when your car is tint colored 🤣

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

fishbowl look in Texas is asking for a tan on your left arm. you northern or cali boys can pull it off but in Texas, the fishbowl look is a no go. 35% to keep the fuzz away on the front widows and 20%-25% on the rears and back window to keep your interior cool in the summer heat
      Formally SWRTstang_M3 on M3forum.net with a join date of 07/2004

Comment

I put 15% ceramic all around and 50% ceramic on the windshield. Looks great to me and helps a whole lot. Especially in this Miami Heat.
        Attached Files

Comment

I'm ignorant in the topic. Mine is stock. Is there an option to keep it as clear as possible but reduce heat inside?

Comment

Originally posted by CachacoE46 View Post
            I'm ignorant in the topic. Mine is stock. Is there an option to keep it as clear as possible but reduce heat inside?
            Yes, ceramic tint. Pricey but worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
              Just looks ghetto to me. I always had it, living in Socal. And when you're young, it's cool. But after a while.... I'm talking about dark tint, 5% - 20%. 35% looks better for sure.

Only thing I'll say is it did preserve my interior very well over the years since my car was only garaged about half the time.

I see the allure of getting clear ceramic tint, if the car is outside often enough.
              I wouldn't say it looks ghetto but I get a drug dealer (as well as juvenile) type of vibe with tint. With lighter tint I think to myself this guy's a cruiser which isn't a bad thing but nobody serious about driving would voluntarily decrease their visibility I would think but I've been wrong before.

Also don't understand this fishbowl thing, so now it's a tinted fishbowl which is better? I'm all about privacy but what are you guys doing rolling blunts at stoplights? I wear sunglasses when it's too sunny, not tint everything else around me.

Someone else mentioned the lack of contrast which I totally agree with, just like blacking out grills and such which isn't for me.
              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

I wouldn't say it looks ghetto but I get a drug dealer (as well as juvenile) type of vibe with tint. With lighter tint I think to myself this guy's a cruiser which isn't a bad thing but nobody serious about driving would voluntarily decrease their visibility I would think but I've been wrong before.

Also don't understand this fishbowl thing, so now it's a tinted fishbowl which is better? I'm all about privacy but what are you guys doing rolling blunts at stoplights? I wear sunglasses when it's too sunny, not tint everything else around me.

Someone else mentioned the lack of contrast which I totally agree with, just like blacking out grills and such which isn't for me.
                Ghetto is two different colors front/rear or leeeeeemo (5%), ewww. 20% looks great but I can see it depending on color too. A light blue would probably look bad but my steel grey looks awesome. Also, some people (like myself) just don't want people looking at them for an hour in traffic either. Just, you know, fuck off with your looking and mind your own damn business, bad enough I have to look at you weave in and out of traffic for an hour. . Also adds a level of isolation which is great when sitting stopped in 6 lanes of traffic. FWIW, if you're wearing sunglasses then everything is tinted around you, which also means the radio/map is harder to see. YMMV, I love it, this forum has a kinky obsession with no tint which is one of the few things I disagree with.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

Ghetto is two different colors front/rear or leeeeeemo (5%), ewww. 20% looks great but I can see it depending on color too. A light blue would probably look bad but my steel grey looks awesome. Also, some people (like myself) just don't want people looking at them for an hour in traffic either. Just, you know, fuck off with your looking and mind your own damn business, bad enough I have to look at you weave in and out of traffic for an hour. . Also adds a level of isolation which is great when sitting stopped in 6 lanes of traffic. FWIW, if you're wearing sunglasses then everything is tinted around you, which also means the radio/map is harder to see. YMMV, I love it, this forum has a kinky obsession with no tint which is one of the few things I disagree with.
                  I didn't say it was ghetto if you read the quote. Everyone is too busy on their phones these days I'm sure they don't really care about you playing pocket pool in traffic, don't be so paranoid. Radio? Map? Lol.

I can take off my glasses any time includingt nighttime. You got a greasy dude playing interior gymnastics gluing film on all the interior glass surfaces of your car and pouring soapy water down your doors. I'm good.

A kinky obsession with not doing something, not the reverse? Okay hahaa.
                  2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

I didn't say it was ghetto if you read the quote. Everyone is too busy on their phones these days I'm sure they don't really care about you playing pocket pool in traffic, don't be so paranoid. Radio? Map? Lol.

I can take off my glasses any time includingt nighttime. You got a greasy dude playing interior gymnastics gluing film on all the interior glass surfaces of your car and pouring soapy water down your doors. I'm good.

A kinky obsession with not doing something, not the reverse? Okay hahaa.
                    oy vey, I know you weren't saying it was ghetto. How'd you know I play pocket pool? You look'n in my car?

Comment

That's what I assume people with drug dealer tint are doing ☺

Besides I can't see through your tint with my locs on 😎

Comment

Tint's always subjective and everybody has their preference, but I'm running 15% Llumar CTX everywhere but the windshield on mine, as well as the wife's car. This was taken when I painted my hardtop, but before I got the back window done to match. Even though state law is 35%, we have no inspections, and TN cops won't pull you over for tint. If you get pulled over for something else, you might get a fine on top of it though.

My DD will almost always have some manner of dark tint, because I'm old and don't like being hot, plus I just think it looks better. I'm past putting 5% on anything, but I have no issues at night with the 15%.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mattn1192 View Post
                          I put 15% ceramic all around and 50% ceramic on the windshield. Looks great to me and helps a whole lot. Especially in this Miami Heat.
                          "Florida Legal" is what I was shooting for, which IIRC is 28% all around + 15% in the rear. I think they messed up and put 28% all around, which is perfect. The rear window is the convertible "window" so that gets tucked anyway and 15% back there would have made the car a cave with the top up. +1 on showing the Imola Red with the top down and not getting your arms fried. And I'm getting old enough to where I still need the visibility. Unfortunately my avatar is the only pic I have with the tint.

maw
                          Last edited by maw1124; 05-09-2021, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
                            After all these years I'm finally going to tint my JB/black M3. Summers just get so damn hot and I want to keep the interior from getting further damaged from the sun.
                            I want to go with the same % on all windows. Nothing too dark because I live in CA and technically front tint is not allowed. Also I don't like tint that is too dark at night. Thinking 40% ceramic.
                            Thoughts on putting an ultra light tint on the windshield? (like clear or 80% to block UV/IR?)
                            Pretty sure CA law is now 70% transmission from the drivers seat forward. Nothing on windshield (except clear) without Dr note.
                            40% ceramic sounds good. It’s what I have. Light enough police don’t hassle it. It actually might appear darker with your black interior. I have my rear a shade darker because that really beats down heat and I drive at night and truck lights annoy me. I can see perfectly fine. But since you’re also going forward for aesthetics (along with function) darker on back plane might not work on JB.
                            As for the the windshield, even with “clear” tint I have yet to see it where it doesn’t distort at night. I suggest leaving it alone. I would love it for the heat blocking but nobody I know has kept it because it “starbursts” with oncoming headlight or has some distortion compared to glass.
                            6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

55% Madico Ceramic (front & rear sides), 35% rear windshield

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8825.JPG
Views:	1168
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	104101 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8829.JPG
Views:	869
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	104102

Comment

So after years of having 35%VLT tint on my cars, I had to remove the old tint on my M3 and I fell in love with the look of the car with no tint. BUT there is no way here in 125f temps I could live without tint. I did my research and came across this listing:

The Black Box Tint Precut Window Film Alpine Series. The Black Box Tint UV Demonstration - YouTube. The Black Box Tint Heat Card Demonstration - YouTube. Video will open in a new window. Paste link into a browser window:[isdntekvideo].

These guys were awesome and I purchased the Alpine Precut 2.0 mil kit for my M3 with 70%VLT on the sides and for the rear Windshield 50% VLT. For the X5m and Golf R I'll be sticking to 35% VLT when I place the order plus 70% VLT for the front windscreen.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X