• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI: It looks like a significant portion of s54 Cat Cams are failing

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Yes to be specific it’s NOT all CatCams only the ones from that group buy Leighton was running on old M3forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Radekxpl View Post
      Yes to be specific it’s NOT all CatCams only the ones from that group buy Leighton was running on old M3forum.

Oh? What was different about them? Have to admit I didn't really pay attention to the GB as it was happening, as I already had cams.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Those were the "billet" CatCams?
        '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Anything run by Leighton was terrible.

Those were the dark days.
          2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
          2005 BMW ///M3
          Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
          2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
          2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
          2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post

I started to get suspicious of that dude when each time I asked him for a quote for a CSL trunk it was just the Schmiedmann price after shipping +$100. “Group buy” lol. Ordered it from Schmiedmann instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Oh? What was different about them? Have to admit I didn't really pay attention to the GB as it was happening, as I already had cams.
              They were the billet ones, which had hardening issue causing permanently failure specially if installed with existing follower hardware, most people did installed them that way which accelerated the wear/failure even more. ask me how I know 🤦 well thankfully that story had happy ending and all is good now👍.

Comment

Originally posted by Radekxpl View Post

They were the billet ones, which had hardening issue causing permanently failure specially if installed with existing follower hardware, most people did installed them that way which accelerated the wear/failure even more. ask me how I know 🤦 well thankfully that story had happy ending and all is good now👍.

I was a part of this GB and I haven't fitted my cams yet. Not sure I'm gonna bother now if there's questions to the hardening process. Who at catcams did you contact to resolve your issue? Mind sharing a contact e-mail via PM if so?

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.wReckless View Post

I was a part of this GB and I haven't fitted my cams yet. Not sure I'm gonna bother now if there's questions to the hardening process. Who at catcams did you contact to resolve your issue? Mind sharing a contact e-mail via PM if so?

Regards
                  HRC can be measured, should de 55-58 RC. If not then just return them.

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post

HRC can be measured, should de 55-58 RC. If not then just return them.
                    Doing followers adds so much labour to this job. I was hoping to avoid that but not sure if I dare now. Maybe I should just do a pre-emptive head gasket over next winter storage and do it with the head off the engine and out of the car..

HRC and RC refers to hardness on the Rockwell scale?

Regards
                    Last edited by Mr.wReckless; 05-08-2021, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post

lol This! "Im doing this for no benefit to myself. Only for the community" pshhht
                      2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
                      2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
                      2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.wReckless View Post

Doing followers adds so much labour to this job. I was hoping to avoid that but not sure if I dare now. Maybe I should just do a pre-emptive head gasket over next winter storage and do it with the head off the engine and out of the car..

HRC and RC refers to hardness on the Rockwell scale?

Regards
                        Yes, Rockwell C scale. I once used aftermarket cams on a renault sport Clio and I measured 44-46 RC, they were fine for the miles I had the car but I always felt they were “soft” but they used hydraulic lifters with roller followers, for our engine you do want 50+ HRC.

all you need is measure two base circles just to have two data points.

If I was doing this I would save and do followers too as insurance policy if you plan to keep the car for long.

Comment

Between this and airbox thread... what a week.
                          Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

Cheap parts are more expensive in the long run.
                            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

I was always warned that this car is “allergic to aftermarket parts”. Experience seems to be bearing that out, more or less, with some very specific exceptions — tunes, exhaust. But anything in the engine?!?! FOH, I ain’t buying it. BMW M fettled with the inline 6 until they couldn’t do it any better and gave up; and I’m going to improve upon that finished product?

🤨🧐🤔

Not likely.

maw

Comment

Working...
                              X