M3 MPG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dash1 View Post

Whattt that's insane! I average ~19-20 mpg's with moderate foot and combined driving.
    Yeah, it's frustrating. Especially since the car seems to drive pretty much flawlessly otherwise, so any mechanic that checks the car out just says "everything looks great, you're just driving it too hard to get good MPG", which is false. Sometime this week I'm going to make a new thread about it and put all the information about my situation and what I've done to try and fix it in one place (it was scattered over a few threads in the old forum), and see if anyone wants to take a crack at it with me. A real automotive conundrum.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post

Yeah, it's frustrating. Especially since the car seems to drive pretty much flawlessly otherwise, so any mechanic that checks the car out just says "everything looks great, you're just driving it too hard to get good MPG", which is false. Sometime this week I'm going to make a new thread about it and put all the information about my situation and what I've done to try and fix it in one place (it was scattered over a few threads in the old forum), and see if anyone wants to take a crack at it with me. A real automotive conundrum.
      Have you dyno'd the car? Do you have an aftermarket tune? Maybe you're running rich.

Comment

Originally posted by M3AN ONE View Post
        I average 16 mpg highway. I normally stay in 4th or 5th on the highway with 4.10 gears
        Do you stay in those lower gear just for better passing ability? I've got 4.10's as well and I'm in 5th for sure if I'm doing >55mph, but that's just for MPG reasons.
        2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
        Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
        Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
        RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
        Instagram

Comment

If it was always serviced be Dinan,did the guy have any internal mods ,cams etc. ?
          2004 M3 Mystic Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Dash1 View Post

Have you dyno'd the car? Do you have an aftermarket tune? Maybe you're running rich.
            Car is bone stock, and I flashed the correct stock factory tune onto the DME myself. Did get it dyno'd, made 275 on a dynojet (SAE), which is about where it should be. AFRs for the dyno run looked mostly okay but were apparently pretty rich up at the top end (richer than they should be). But again, the question of why remains elusive.. I've really tried almost everything. I'll get a thread up with more details later this week so I stop polluting this one lol
            Last edited by ATB88; 04-12-2020, 01:11 PM.

Comment

I also run 4.10 gears, but in winter the car's just been used for hauling the baby on city/highway and I avg around 22.3mpg.
              Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post

Car is bone stock, and I flashed the correct stock factory tune onto the DME myself. Did get it dyno'd, made 275 on a dynojet (SAE), which is about where it should be. AFRs for the dyno run looked mostly okay but were apparently pretty rich up at the top end (richer than they should be). But again, the question of why remains elusive.. I've really tried almost everything. I'll get a thread up with more details later this week
                Are your maf and o2 sensors fresh?
                Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post

Are your maf and o2 sensors fresh?
                  Yes and yes

Comment

Originally posted by Mystic3 View Post
                    If it was always serviced be Dinan,did the guy have any internal mods ,cams etc. ?
                    Sorry, not always serviced at Dinan. But most recent service records from the past 4 or so years. Before that were a couple of other German auto garages, and BMW.

Previous owner was not a car guy, he didn't know what the subframe meant when I asked if it was reinforced. I'm fairly certain this car is 100% stock.

Comment

I got anywhere from 7mpg to 23mpg. I liked to speed, but not around other people so I did alot of slowing down. A BBK would actually benefit my on the street. I experienced brake fade quite a bit bringing my car down from 140 or so.

If you literally did all the maintenance and it was well done, I'd start looking at wave forms. Something is causing the fuel trims. Everything always has an answer, it's just matter of finding it. The problem is you will need someone's $5000-$10000 Oscilloscope.
                      This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
                        BBK would actually benefit my on the street. I experienced brake fade quite a bit bringing my car down from 140 or so.
                        Doogan, is that you?
                        Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

I average around 22-23 mpg on my 04 M3, that is mostly highway driving.

Comment

18/24 typically in my '05. Best I ever saw was 31 MPG in 6th gear at about 80 mph IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post

Doogan, is that you?
                              Sorry to disappoint but I'm no Doogan.
                              This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Average 22-23. Can squeeze 30mpg on the highway if I really try, more typical for me is 25-27.

Comment

Working...
                                X