M3 MPG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M3 MPG?

Just curious, what have you guys been seeing in terms of MPG for a stock car? I went from a 2004 M3 to a 2002 M3 and fuel consumption seems to be noticeably higher in the 02 vs the 04. Are earlier model-year cars more thirsty? Spirited driving aside, I seem to get about 16mpg city (haven't done much highway testing yet) but the 04 seemed to get around 17-18.

Anything to do here besides control the inputs of my right foot?

17-19 mpg around town, 21 on the hwy. Mostly stock.
    2002 M3 | 1986 R80 | 2001 EuroVan

Comment

22-23 mpg mixed city/hwy.
      TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
      Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
      Evolve Eventuri
      - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

25-27hwy at 80. I usually average 24 Hwy/City when I travel from SC to GA, approx 800miles round trip.

Comment

My ‘02 gets 18mpg city, 22-25mpg highway...I average around 19-22mpg on my trip computer.

Comment

In my 2002 I get a dismal 13-15 city and 18-20 highway. The high end of that is driving very conservatively (no redlining, shifting at low RPM). Seems obvious that there's something wrong causing this dismal fuel economy, but I've been diligently looking for it for the last year and a half I've had absolutely no luck >:[

Comment

I average about 17.6 around town, but its always pleasure drives, so that involves punching it a few times
              2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
              Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
              Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
              RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
              Instagram

Comment

I get about 16 in my 02, but I really don't ever drive it in a very mpg friendly way.
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post
                  In my 2002 I get a dismal 13-15 city and 18-20 highway. The high end of that is driving very conservatively (no redlining, shifting at low RPM). Seems obvious that there's something wrong causing this dismal fuel economy, but I've been diligently looking for it for the last year and a half I've had absolutely no luck >:[
                  What can be done to address the efficiency of the car/motor? perhaps something in there isn't up to snuff?

Comment

Originally posted by scubastove View Post

What can be done to address the efficiency of the car/motor? perhaps something in there isn't up to snuff?
                    Similar things to what you would do when trying to squeeze every last bit of power out of the car. Different sized pulleys, lighter brakes, lighter wheels, mechanical fan removal, etc. Also, making sure all maintenance is taken care of will make the engine run much more efficiently.
                    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by scubastove View Post

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Similar things to what you would do when trying to squeeze every last bit of power out of the car. Different sized pulleys, lighter brakes, lighter wheels, mechanical fan removal, etc. Also, making sure all maintenance is taken care of will make the engine run much more efficiently.
                      So here's the thing: my car's maintenance is absolutely immaculate -- I've done every possible maintainance and fix and replaced pretty much every part you could imagine that one would think could affect fuel efficiency. Professionally smoke tested many times, no intake leaks. No codes, ever. Compression test is perfect. Only clue is that long term fuel trims are high (7-12% depending on the day/conditions). It's a long story but I had a big long thread detailing all of this back in the old forum. My car's inability to achieve a half decent MPG compared to any of the cars above is an absolute mystery, one I'd very much like to solve.

I get about 16 in my 02, but I really don't ever drive it in a very mpg friendly way.
                      If I could get 16 while letting my revs get above 4k once in a while, I'd honestly be thrilled
                      Last edited by ATB88; 04-12-2020, 12:21 PM.

Comment

+1 on maintenance difference - plugs, fuel filter, making sure no air leaks past the maf, o2 sensors, fuel pump, air filters etc.
                        Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post

So here's the thing: my car's maintenance is absolutely immaculate -- I've done every possible maintainance and fix and replaced pretty much every part you could imagine that one would think could affect fuel efficiency. Professionally smoke tested many times, no intake leaks. No codes, ever. Compression test is perfect. Only clue is that long term fuel trims are high (7-12% depending on the day/conditions). It's a long story but I had a big long thread detailing all of this back in the old forum. My car's inability to achieve a half decent MPG compared to any of the cars above is an absolute mystery, one I'd very much like to solve.

If I could get 16 while letting my revs get above 4k once in a while, I'd honestly be thrilled
                          Whattt that's insane! I average ~19-20 mpg's with moderate foot and combined driving.

Comment

My car's maintenance is pretty spotless as well. Previous owner was the original owner, an older fellow who brought it to a Dinan shop for regular service intervals. Maintenance looks very good for this car. Car was from Cali, on the east coast now.

Comment

I average 16 mpg highway. I normally stay in 4th or 5th on the highway with 4.10 gears

Comment

Working...
                              X