Key fob replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    This thread got my hopes up, so I shopped online as Maxima SE described.
    But all I found was this:
    https://www.thebmwminipartstore.com/...VsdHMmYT1ibXcm bz1tMyZ5PTIwMDUmdD1iYXNlJmU9My0ybC1sNi1nYXM%3D

$577.70 doesn’t excite me. Where are these $160-200 keys?
    https://www.thebmwminipartstore.com/...86-66126955748
    2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
    2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
    2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Thank you - I just couldn’t find that.

Would you mind pointing me to where you found the instructions for programming the remote unlock function for the key?

Comment

https://www.thebmwminipartstore.com/...VsdHMmYT1ibXcm bz1tMyZ5PTIwMDUmdD1iYXNlJmU9My0ybC1sNi1nYXM%3D

You have the wrong part number. This is the correct one

66-12-6-955-748

Comment

Thank you - I just couldn’t find that.

Would you mind pointing me to where you found the instructions for programming the remote unlock function for the key?
          its in a pic in the link i posted.
          2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
          2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
          2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post

its in a pic in the link i posted.
            Ah- thanks again. It’s much easier to make out on my iPad vs iPhone.

Having read it, now I have an additional question. It sounds like the “initialization” process must be done with all keys, and says “Always initialize the keys in the same order”. It also references rolling codes. But the initialization process involves pressing the key buttons. One of my original keys has a dead battery (won’t charge while being used). Do I really need to “initialize” ALL my keys in order to add one? That would lead me to believe that the “dead” one would no longer work. Or are the “rolling codes” mentioned only for the unlock feature, and not for the car to recognize and accept the key to allow starting the car (as I understood it to work in my E36).
            Also- my E46 didn’t come to me with the miniature key (all black, all plastic). I have them for all my other cars, and appreciate them as “emergency backup” keys, kept stashed in a safe place in case I lose my primary key while away from home.
            Anybody know where I can order one of these plastic keys? Or the part number for such a thing?
            Last edited by GyroF-16; 05-16-2021, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Ah- thanks again. It’s much easier to make out on my iPad vs iPhone.

Having read it, now I have an additional question. It sounds like the “initialization” process must be done with all keys, and says “Always initialize the keys in the same order”. It also references rolling codes. But the initialization process involves pressing the key buttons. One of my original keys has a dead battery (won’t charge while being used). Do I really need to “initialize” ALL my keys in order to add one? That would lead me to believe that the “dead” one would no longer work. Or are the “rolling codes” mentioned only for the unlock feature, and not for the car to recognize and accept the key to allow starting the car (as I understood it to work in my E36).
              Also- my E46 didn’t come to me with the miniature key (all black, all plastic). I have them for all my other cars, and appreciate them as “emergency backup” keys, kept stashed in a safe place in case I lose my primary key while away from home.
              Anybody know where I can order one of these plastic keys? Or the part number for such a thing?
              You use a working key to initiate the remote function program process, then program ALL other keys, one after the other, during this programming period.

The "rolling code" is for anti-theft feature between the key/EWS/DME only, nothing to do with the remote control features.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

You use a working key to initiate the remote function program process, then program ALL other keys, one after the other, during this programming period.

The "rolling code" is for anti-theft feature between the key/EWS/DME only, nothing to do with the remote control features.
                Roling code refers to the remote lock/unlock when programming remotes.

EWS is effectively a challenge response which it does with changing codes. The rolling code part of EWS is between the EWS and the DME.

Comment

$200 is the price from the dealer for a genuine bmw key.
                  2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
                  2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
                  2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

I bought a replacement key for my e46 last summer from them. I believe I paid in the $160-$170 range. Fast shipping too.

Comment

Anyone knows the cheapest locksmith melbourne?
                      buyautoparts

Comment

Working...
                      X