Key fob replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Key fob replacement

Is there other options to have a full key fob replaced and programmed besides the dealer?

What's the problem with the dealer? They have to prove you're the registered owner and then cut keys are ordered from NJ and overnighted.

How would there be a way around this?
    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Any locksmith that has a laser cutting machine can cut the key. I paid $35a piece for mine
      Any indy shop that works on bmws can reprogram the chip, depending on the locksmith they might be able to aswell. , the fob is programmed without any special tools. If you're a diyer you can even program the chipped key on your there's a programmer online for like $20 that's only for the bmw diamond keys

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

The programmer is called the ak90

Comment

And then for keys get them off of ebay or Amazon. Just make sure the specific one you get has good reviews. They come without the bmw roundel, you can get the little sticker for them aswell for a couple bucks or use it without it

Just make sure you get it with the circuit board and not just the case. The board itself is easy to reprogram worth the little extra to just have a new key that you didn't have to glue together

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by Lukem3 View Post
              And then for keys get them off of ebay or Amazon. Just make sure the specific one you get has good reviews. They come without the bmw roundel, you can get the little sticker for them aswell for a couple bucks or use it without it

Just make sure you get it with the circuit board and not just the case. The board itself is easy to reprogram worth the little extra to just have a new key that you didn't have to glue together

Very interesting, thanks for the info! Does "diamond" refer to the shape of the fob itself? I'm actually in the market for another key for my E39, is the process the same for any "diamond" key, even for the E39 with the small indents on the key itself compared to the E46's 'straight through' key design?
              E46 M3 Coupe - 09/04 Production, 103k miles, Black/Black, 6MT swap, AS 0% kit, BBS RG-R + AS4’s, CSL flash, Karbonius airbox, Euro header + Section 1, Koni Yellow, Xtrons, SAP Delete, lockdowns complete

Comment

Yeah diamond is the shape, although the keys and programmer work for pretty much all 90s and 2000s. If it has any ews 1 2 or 3 it 1ill work. Iirc E46 and e39 use ews2

Comment

Originally posted by vp special k View Post
                  Is there other options to have a full key fob replaced and programmed besides the dealer?
                  I bought mine precut from thebmwminipartstore.com and programmed it myself. you can google how to program them, its super easy. they will require proof of ownership documents including your ID before they process your order. I believe I paid $165 for a new one
                  2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
                  2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
                  2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post

I bought mine precut from thebmwminipartstore.com and programmed it myself. you can google how to program them, its super easy. they will require proof of ownership documents including your ID before they process your order. I believe I paid $165 for a new one

same. Less hassle, and oem, not fussing around w trying to program an eBay quality key to save a couple bucks

Comment

Or just call the dealer, give them VIN, pay 200 and pick it up two days later. Call me lazy but that's what I did.

Comment

This thread got my hopes up, so I shopped online as Maxima SE described.
                        But all I found was this:
                        https://www.thebmwminipartstore.com/...VsdHMmYT1ibXcm bz1tMyZ5PTIwMDUmdD1iYXNlJmU9My0ybC1sNi1nYXM%3D

$577.70 doesn’t excite me. Where are these $160-200 keys?

Comment

Originally posted by GyroF-16 View Post
                          This thread got my hopes up, so I shopped online as Maxima SE described.
                          But all I found was this:
                          https://www.thebmwminipartstore.com/...VsdHMmYT1ibXcm bz1tMyZ5PTIwMDUmdD1iYXNlJmU9My0ybC1sNi1nYXM%3D

$577.70 doesn’t excite me. Where are these $160-200 keys?
                          Look at what I recommended up above. I did 3 keys myself with the cost of the keys, programmer and cost of locksmith i paid $160

Comment

They all work just fine and I feel like I get a longer range with the keyless entry then before. But my batteries were also pretty much fried before so that could have been it. Either way no complaints I've had the keys for over 6months, work just fine. $160 for 3 keys, even if 1 craps out you're still a 2 keys for less than the price of one.

Comment

Originally posted by Lukem3 View Post
                              They all work just fine and I feel like I get a longer range with the keyless entry then before.
                              Little OT here, but years ago I saw the suggestion of putting the "key" portion of the fob under your chin while pushing the desired button to increase the range. I estimated an approximate 100% increase in range over not doing this technique. Very handy as I could stay indoors and roll down the windows 15 minutes before leaving work when it's triple digit+ heat and no covered parking

Comment

Working...
                              X