Leak from right side of transmission?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leak from right side of transmission?

It’s been a saga. I did a brake bleed and pad change in that order which resulted in brake fluid coming out of the weep hole in the master cylinder cap. It was a late night before the car was supposed to go into the trailer...I f’d up. At the track, I’d start smoking every right (edit: LEFT!) turn (fluid would hit the exhaust and smoke). It oddly smelled like BBQ...wasn’t the worst thing ever...lol. Got that all cleaned up after 2 gal of brake cleaner through my sure shot.

Next track event. Turn right...there’s some smoke but there is a leak. Fluid dripping off the transmission. Master cylinder, oil pan, motor all dry. Brake fluid at the same level...brakes and clutch feel fine. I’m thinking brake fluid got into the bell housing? I need to pull the trans and check.

Let’s drain the trans fluid and see how much I get. I drain less than a qt. Closer inspection, the left side of the trans is dry, clutch slave is dry. The right side is wet. Hard to see...kind of thinking it’s the reverse switch but it’s a little damp above.

Any ideas before I pull this transmission?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bigjae46; 05-20-2021, 05:58 PM.

Jae, I think the reverse light switch is on driver side. Depending on where the leak is length wise on the tranny (closer to bell housing vs driveshaft), there are several things. There is a breather tube on top closer to right side (circled in pic), there are detents and cover in the back on right side, I've seen shifter shaft seal leak on back side of tranny and make it's way down one side, I've seen the sections of the tranny weep/seep/leak between the different parts that are bolted together (the horizontal lines in the pic).

I have a hard time seeing brake fluid going down the bell housing, but stranger things have happened.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
      I drain less than a qt.
      This seems to indicate tranny fluid was leaking. When was the last time it was checked?
      I don't see this major leak caused by shift shaft or the detent cap, or the vent hole, as they are located quite high.
      Could the leaking brake fluid get to the tranny input shaft seal and deformed it, causing the major leak?

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

This seems to indicate tranny fluid was leaking. When was the last time it was checked?
        I don't see this major leak caused by shift shaft or the detent cap, or the vent hole, as they are located quite high.
        Could the leaking brake fluid get to the tranny input shaft seal and deformed it, causing the major leak?
        Possible. Forgot to mention it’s a 5 speed ZF320. I really don’t want to but looks like I need to pull the transmission. I need to do the selector rod and output shaft seal. I did the input seal when I first installed it.

Comment

I had a right side engine trans leak, or what appeared to be. Turns out it was valve cover gasket leaking in rear.

Comment

After looking at video...it was left turns.

Pulled the trans, found the R detent spring came out. Makes sense because the last 2 events I was having trouble distinguishing from R and 1st gear.

Self-inflicted. Where’s the face palm emoji?

Comment

Working...
            X