DME: Misfiring on all cylinders 1-6 without Cylinder Cutout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DME: Misfiring on all cylinders 1-6 without Cylinder Cutout

Engine started a very faint misfire while cruising, then progressively got worse on my return trip to the point of unable to accelerate or cruise without misfire. I have 6 individual codes, one for each cylinder stating "DME: Misfiring cyl "n" without cylinder cutout", then I have another code "Misfiring several cylinders without cylinder cutout.

Just got home from 800 mile trip, so I wanted to post this while I research, as I am hoping to go to the track this weekend.

Edit: Just wanted to add the following work:
    09/2019: 91K Miles: I replaced all 6 coil packs, plugs, valve adjustment etc etc.
    2 weeks ago: Complete cooling system refresh, SS V1 Headers, SS Catless Sect1, NO Post Cat O2's. I have not deleted these from the DME, waiting on cable.
    Currently at 119K miles so I have approx 30K on the coil packs.
    Last edited by Flat-Six; 05-25-2021, 04:18 PM.

Have you done a compression test? Mine shared these same exact issues and i ended up having a blown head gasket between all but one cylinder. Roughly 160k miles though.

Although I went through and replaced plugs, coils vanos rebuild, solenoid etc to try and stop the issue. It wasn’t until I started noticing a plinking sound at low rpm high load that got me to look for that. I don’t want to point for the worst but this is worth getting done.
    If it is your issue hopefully you catch it soon enough where you’re not rebuilding your engine like I was

Comment

Spark plug interval is 30k on these. Starts with new plugs, coils should be okay

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Lukem3; 05-25-2021, 05:03 PM.

Comment

And valve adjustment is 12k iirc or every year. So new plugs and adjust the valves and you should be good to go

Comment

As always, thank you for the responses and suggestions...
          Hope it's not a HG, never had any previous temp issues. Just to be safe, and a nice to know, I'll do a comp test when I pull the plugs tomorrow.
          Hard to believe that all six plugs and or coil packs failed. I checked the valves 15K miles ago they were fine and did not need adjustment. But......I am keeping an open mind with this. I'll start looking at everything tomorrow. Would I get a different code if my FP was starting to go bad, now that would affect all 6.

Comment

Start with plugs or atleast pull them and look at them. Most likely what the issue is. Bmw says 60k but with track use they foul at 30k. Coils are gonna be fine. I would worry about fuel pump and other issues if the plugs don't fix it

Comment

If I can get this picture to post, our HG like to blow between the cylinders rather than coolant channels. It caused a ton of deterioration on my pistons from the detonation.
              My fingers are crossed for you, on the bright side of it. Atleast for me it was the most fun and involved project I’ve had in a while
              (Got it to attach. This was old head gasket when pulled)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cleared codes, idles smooth, revs smooth, accelerates smooth, hesitates (slight bucking) coming off and going on throttle. Like you are turning the sport mode switch off and on. Pulls strong. Cruises fine unless you feather throttle off and on. Hope this makes sense. Only codes I have now are post o2 cats due to me removing them but have not coded them out.

Comment

I would say to still try the plugs first. If that doesn't fix it I would start looking at the vanos. Any maint done to it?

Comment

Originally posted by Flat-Six View Post
                    ...hesitates (slight bucking) coming off and going on throttle. Like you are turning the sport mode switch off and on. Pulls strong. Cruises fine unless you feather throttle off and on. Hope this makes sense...
                    I have been getting this as well lately, for whatever reason it's most notable after the car has sat for about 3 hours and I put it in reverse. I must ride the clutch in reverse or it bucks like crazy.
                    Once I get going and driving the bucking settles down but is still present to some degree every time on/off gas pedal and is quite annoying. I had it chalked up to my canned tune and driveline slack.

I have very recently done vanos/valves/plugs FWIW.
                    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

I have been getting this as well lately, for whatever reason it's most notable after the car has sat for about 3 hours and I put it in reverse. I must ride the clutch in reverse or it bucks like crazy.
                      Once I get going and driving the bucking settles down but is still present to some degree every time on/off gas pedal and is quite annoying. I had it chalked up to my canned tune and driveline slack.

I have very recently done vanos/valves/plugs FWIW.
                      That's the way mine acts now, after clearing codes. But over the past week, drivability has progressively worsened to the point where coming home tonight I could not accelerate, and, it would constantly misfire (buck) while cruising at steady speed. Just cleared the codes, now it idles revs and pulls smooth, but if you are cruising at steady speed and lift/accel, there is a fairly strong misfire/buck, as well as when feathering the throttle...I would imagine if I continued to drive, then it would worsen as previously stated...

Overnighted a FP and Filter, going to replace anyway, it's 17years old. Pulling/replacing plugs tomorrow.

I am also curious if this could be a TPS or the Actuator for the TB's...

Comment

I was plagued by this for well over 6 months. Replaced spark plugs, coils, fuel filter, made modifications using the binary and nothing worked.

Finally I replaced both throttle position sensors and haven’t had the codes in over 4 months. It used to happen at least once during every drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmer man View Post
                          I was plagued by this for well over 6 months. Replaced spark plugs, coils, fuel filter, made modifications using the binary and nothing worked.

Finally I replaced both throttle position sensors and haven’t had the codes in over 4 months. It used to happen at least once during every drive.
                          I replaced the one up top back in Jan of this year, it was throwing codes and the SES, but did not affect drivability.

Did you have same (similar) codes and symptoms that I have?

I ordered two (TPS), maybe the one I replaced failed, and I am also going to replace the one under the intake. I also ordered a FP and Filter, just so I have it. The codes are vague, so several "upstream" components could cause the cylinder misfires, but seems like it would more likely be a result of one component (TPS/FP/Actuator/sensor) etc etc) failing, affecting 6 cylinders, as opposed to 6 components (6 plugs/6 coil packs etc) failing at once....
                          Last edited by Flat-Six; 05-27-2021, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Any ticking? That'd be hg, good guess too I think. Otherwise, vanos solenoid/plate?
                            Not likely to be newish plugs/coils. Plugs dont all go at once anyway. What code numbers? I like fuel pump too, but wouldn't that be under hard accel?
                            You're basically at that mileage where you could(should) start replacing everything anyway.
                            Last edited by Tbonem3; 05-26-2021, 09:03 PM.
                            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

TPS and CPS are wear items, consider changing those on a periodic interval to avoid issues like this.

Fuck I had a coil go bad on 4 or 5 times in the past, trash ass bremis.
                              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Working...
                              X