Manifold stud help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manifold stud help

When removing my exhaust manifold nuts, 4 of them came off with the studs. Upon install the nuts loosened up and when trying to tighten it only the nut moves and I can't get the stud to thread in. Trying to get the nut off it sticks at both ends and there's no way for me to clamp the stud. Any recommendations to fix this. No store around me has studs and I need my car for Tuesday.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Lukem3 View Post
    When removing my exhaust manifold nuts, 4 of them came off with the studs. Upon install the nuts loosened up and when trying to tighten it only the nut moves and I can't get the stud to thread in. Trying to get the nut off it sticks at both ends and there's no way for me to clamp the stud. Any recommendations to fix this. No store around me has studs and I need my car for Tuesday.

Use two nuts:

Reinstall and tighten all the studs before you put the manifold back on.

Comment

+1, called "double nutting" time consuming, but it works.

Perhaps inquire at a local BMW dealership for n5x studs? P/N: 11127593376 - I always swap over to these, totally worth the additional cost. They have an e-torx on the end, so you can drive the studs in with a socket.

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post

Use two nuts:

Reinstall and tighten all the studs before you put the manifold back on.
        This.

When I first installed my OEM Euro headers with the ECS header/manifold kit, new nuts/studs etc, I did this method, for all 18. I developed carpel tunnel but also 325whp so theres that.
        2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

Originally posted by kmbardin View Post
          +1, called "double nutting" time consuming, but it works.

Perhaps inquire at a local BMW dealership for n5x studs? P/N: 11127593376 - I always swap over to these, totally worth the additional cost. They have an e-torx on the end, so you can drive the studs in with a socket.
          Used to be able to do that
          '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post

Used to be able to do that
            Sorry to hear that

Comment

I tried doing the double nut method off the car I didn't think to do it on the car. Will try tomorrow morning thank you so much to everyone.

Comment

Double nut FTW!
                Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Yeah double nutting was what I did x18 on mine.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                  X