Clutch Slipping Symptoms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Slipping Symptoms?

I've looked around and found a number of suggested tests for this vehicle to determine clutch slip. I know the clutch is relatively hardy in this car so I don't want to replace anything I don't need to. That being said, there are some symptoms of clutch slip, ie. flooring it in 5th, 6th results in rapid fire shudder with no acceleration. This issue only occurred after I did a CSL software swap by Kassel for my 6MT. I don't know if this is pure coincidence or not. Also, the vehicle accelerates under full throttle in 5th and 6th AFTER there has been some warmup time. Clutch pedal is firm. Sounds like I need to replace it or am I missing an alternative, less costly solution?

Edit: I am the second owner so I have no idea how the vehicle was treated before.
    Last edited by Fresh1179; 04-13-2020, 08:03 AM.
    2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
    [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Hmm. My car started exhibiting the same symptoms soon after doing a CSL airbox (and CSL DME conversion), but I just attributed it to driving my car harder and thus wearing down what was left of the clutch. I've also noticed a faint burning clutch smell after hard driving, so I'm pretty sure my clutch is slipping.

Our cars have a self adjusting clutch mechanism, meaning that you won't be able to tell how worn down the clutch is through pedal travel alone as the bite point will always be the same.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Going around 60, if you clutch in, floor gas and drop clutch, does it grab and accelerate or do rpms slowly come down and it shudders?
      Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
        Going around 60, if you clutch in, floor gas and drop clutch, does it grab and accelerate or do rpms slowly come down and it shudders?
        Just went on a test drive and did this. Clutch grabs but I lurches the car forward less violently than expected.

Also developed a misfire in cylinder 1 during the test drive, codes point to failing coil. I hope I didn't mistake the failing coil for clutch slip. Oh well, all parts for my transmission refresh have been ordered and car has 121k mi, so it was only a matter of time before this refresh needed to be done.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Just did this a few minutes ago. The clutch grabbed and accelerated. Does this mean the clutch is okay (I know that it's more difficult to tell given the SAC) and I should look for other issues?
          [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

If your rpms did not just drop slowly while the car wasn't really accelerating, then the clutch "could" be ok. Yes, because of SAC mechanism it's a pain to tell, but at some point it will start slipping, then you'll know.

That said, did you also try the same sequence of events that lead you to start this thread? 5-6 gear accelerations? Maybe it was the misfire developing initially that you felt, maybe something else.
            Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

If your rpms did not just drop slowly while the car wasn't really accelerating, then the clutch "could" be ok. Yes, because of SAC mechanism it's a pain to tell, but at some point it will start slipping, then you'll know.

That said, did you also try the same sequence of events that lead you to start this thread? 5-6 gear accelerations? Maybe it was the misfire developing initially that you felt, maybe something else.
              It could be a misfire. I had ruled that off my list because I replaced coils and spark plugs about 1500 miles ago, but I looked in INPA last night and it is showing a "Misfire in cylinder firing sequence...." so it looks like I may need to chase it down.

Comment

At a slow rate of speed, put the car in high gear and floor it. If the clutch is slipping the problem should become apparent.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
                  At a slow rate of speed, put the car in high gear and floor it. If the clutch is slipping the problem should become apparent.
                  Not sure whether this is a "Captain Obvious" comment or not, but I wouldn't even think of doing this at less than 2500 rpm, and maybe even 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo's M View Post

Not sure whether this is a "Captain Obvious" comment or not, but I wouldn't even think of doing this at less than 2500 rpm, and maybe even 3.
                    Yeah you need to use good judgement. Basically go into a gear where the engine will struggle to move the car. Lugging your engine for a brief period should not result in any damage, repeated lugging is not advised.

Also found this video which seems to be a decent method and likely safer: https://youtu.be/h7JJ_g2UuBI?t=91

Comment

If he already is suffering from misfires, I wouldn't try to bog the car any further until that is resolved.
                      Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

Working...
                      X