Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

European Blind Spot Side Mirrors - Worth It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

European Blind Spot Side Mirrors - Worth It?

Hey guys, 2nd post on the new replacement site(RIP original M3F), regarding the European blind spot side mirrors for the E46 M3. These seem to be a popular replacement for the US market side mirrors to gain additional visibility. Curious about the following:
    • For those who have the euro side mirrors, was the upgrade cost/effort worth the gained visibility?
    • Since these mirrors are also heated which means there are electrical connections to mirror, does that mean for US market cars, if doing the upgrade, you simple snap in the mirror and ignore the electrical connections? Unless of course you've also done the power mirror retrofit which I know a few forum members have done.

The version I have is not heated so no need for any wires.

What cost/effort? Of course.
    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

I installed the Euro blind spot side mirrors on my M3 last year and didn’t like it. I prefer the regular one.
      2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
      2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
      2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
        The version I have is not heated so no need for any wires.

What cost/effort? Of course.
        Are yours genuine BMW or OEM? Only genuine BMW ones I've come across seem to be the heated ones, (Left P/N 51167145267, Right P/N 51167145268).

I agree, cost/effort is minimal but just wanted to throw it out there.

Comment

Had them on my E36 and didn't care for it. haven't bothered trying on E46.
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Are you asking about the aspherical wide angle mirror glass? Yes I have had them. Had them on my first coupe passenger side. Genuine BMW, came with prongs on back for the factory heated wires. Just plugged them in and done. Glass has a slightly more blue tint than US stock. So I bought off euro eBay to match. Again it had the prongs on back for heated. My M3 factory mirror glass started to get that brown around edges so bought again so they’d match the bluish tint and wide angle.
            I like them but takes getting used to. Especially merging on freeway traffic at night. At first car looks over more than lane it is. Once you get use too they’re handy.
            6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by E46_M3_ZCP View Post

Are yours genuine BMW or OEM? Only genuine BMW ones I've come across seem to be the heated ones, (Left P/N 51167145267, Right P/N 51167145268).

I agree, cost/effort is minimal but just wanted to throw it out there.
              Shit now that I think about it I don't remember, I got them in 2002. They take some getting used to which is why I think some people don't like them but I'd never take them off. You get a bigger picture of what's going on around you but you need to adjust the eye-brain connection so that you know the cars are closer than they appear.

I was coming from a jdm car with vision mirrors so I was used to the wide angle and got spoiled. The problem with trash DOT and us shit in general is they're made for idiots. If you adjust your side mirrors properly here (which 90% of people on the road don't know how to do) there is always an inherent blind spot bc the lens is narrow angle. The way I have my daily's mirrors I can see where I need to see but in LA traffic it makes it difficult to spot bikes splitting lanes when you're trying to lane change so it can be dangerous.
              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

I picked up a pair off of eBay. I adjusted to them very quickly and still think they were a great deal, less than $60 shipped for both and they’ve held up well for 6+ years. If/when they start to brown on the edges, I have no problem picking up another identical set. That being said, they’re not for everyone. Thankfully they’re cheap and easy to undo if you don’t like them!
                E46 M3 Coupe - 09/04 Production, 103k miles, Black/Black, 6MT swap, AS 0% kit, BBS RG-R + AS4’s, CSL flash, Karbonius airbox, Euro header + Section 1, Koni Yellow, Xtrons, SAP Delete, lockdowns complete

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
                  Are you asking about the aspherical wide angle mirror glass? Yes I have had them. Had them on my first coupe passenger side. Genuine BMW, came with prongs on back for the factory heated wires. Just plugged them in and done. Glass has a slightly more blue tint than US stock. So I bought off euro eBay to match. Again it had the prongs on back for heated. My M3 factory mirror glass started to get that brown around edges so bought again so they’d match the bluish tint and wide angle.
                  I like them but takes getting used to. Especially merging on freeway traffic at night. At first car looks over more than lane it is. Once you get use too they’re handy.
                  Yes, aspherical wide angle mirror glass for better blind spot visibility. You just helped me discover/re-discover that all US M3s came with heated mirrors. I just assumed that since the US side mirrors weren't motorized for folding that they also didn't come with heated mirrors as I've never actually had reason to inspect the mirror's back side. I actually don't have a problem with the E46 M3 side mirrors coverage as I don't feel my visibility is deficient(obviously without comparing to euro mirrors) but I started down this path because I can't say the same for my E92 M3 in comparison. Not sure how many board members have experience with both M3s but IMO the E92's side mirror visibility is much poorer in comparison to the E46.

Comment

Yes, aspherical wide angle mirror glass for better blind spot visibility. You just helped me discover/re-discover that all US M3s came with heated mirrors. I just assumed that since the US side mirrors weren't motorized for folding that they also didn't come with heated mirrors as I've never actually had reason to inspect the mirror's back side. I actually don't have a problem with the E46 M3 side mirrors coverage as I don't feel my visibility is deficient(obviously without comparing to euro mirrors)
                    Yep all USA E46 side mirror glass are heated iirc. Not just the oval M3 mirror glass.
                    It’s shares the same shape as some other later models. So you can get the euro glass from aftermarket companies on euro eBay shipped for pretty cheap if you don’t want to pay premium for Genuine BMW.
                    6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
                      Yep all USA E46 side mirror glass are heated iirc. Not just the oval M3 mirror glass.
                      It’s shares the same shape as some other later models. So you can get the euro glass from aftermarket companies on euro eBay shipped for pretty cheap if you don’t want to pay premium for Genuine BMW.
                      A quick search on Ebay and do these seem like the correct pair? Only $24.99? I think the genuine BMW ones are $210 and on backorder until August.

BMW E88 1-Series Cabriolet (Pre-Facelift models 2008-2011, NOT M1). BMW E82 1-Series Coupe (Pre-Facelift models 2008-2010, NOT M1). E88 1 Series Pre-Fac. 2010 BMW 128i Base Convertible 2-Door 3.0L 2996CC l6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated.

Comment

I got mine from Kholaty I believe it was

Blue tint euro mirror
                        Works fine for me
                        Popped right in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A quick search on Ebay and do these seem like the correct pair? Only $24.99? I think the genuine BMW ones are $210 and on backorder until August.
                          https://www.ebay.com/itm/28397163915...Cclp%3A2334524
                          Yep those look like it to me. Has E46 M3 listed.

Comment

Personally, I can’t stand them— they ruin depth perception. I tried to run them for a couple months, before getting frustrated I’m going back to stock. There’s no blind spots with the US mirrors if you aim them correctly, anyway.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i
                            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Conversely, I love them and have no issues with depth perception. Field of view is still much larger than "correctly" aimed US mirrors, particularly on the driver's side.

Comment

Working...
                              X