No announcement yet.

Exhaust Setup And Sound Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha no, sorry for not clarifying. I have on my car, currently, the AFE exhaust. It does not fit that well and it is quite a bit louder than I was hoping. So since I got it for such a good deal, I'm already considering maybe going with a different exhaust. But I will live with it for a few weeks and see if it grows on me or not. Feel like the Supersprint sport is gonna be more up my alley.
    http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
    '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
    '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post

What are your thoughts on the setup? Any chance you'd be interested in filming a quick in car video and possibly a drive by video? Would be cool to hear it at normal speed and full throttle.

I just got my AFE exhaust put on, it's louder than I was hoping for and it actually fits kind of like shit so I'm already looking at other options LOL.

I have stock headers and need to keep it that way, two OEM resonated pipes for section 1, and the AFE section 2 is 2.5" X pipe with no resonator, and it slip fits to the section 3 muffler which is pretty much straight through also I think. No surprise that it's pretty loud... I would love to reduce the volume, I can hardly hear any intake noise anymore, and also would like to eliminate more of the rasp hence why I was thinking a resonated section 2 and a quieter section 3.
      I like my setup. I’m sure Obi will say it drones, but I don’t really think so. You can hear the exhaust just a bit cruising at highway speeds, but it’s not loud.

I don’t hear the rasp anymore which was my #1 goal. I also have an evolve intake, so I do not want a loud exhaust drowning out. It does sound a bit muffled or restricted, because it is. But I think it has a nice sporty “euro” sound to it if that makes any sense. Brad Perkins at Chicane commented how good he thought my car sounded after they finished the airbox install. I want this car to maintain at least a moderate amount of highway cruising comfort, so I'm really not looking for a loud screamer of an exhaust. I can still have a conversation with a passenger or a phone call just fine.

I have no video recording capabilities other than my iphone, if that’s of any use.

Last edited by tnord; 08-15-2021, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Here's some clips of how my supersprint exhaust sounds to help people out. When I was in the decision phase, I wished there were more videos. Low throttle, peel out, fly by.

V1 Stepped headers

Oversized Catless section 1

Oversized dual pipe Non-res section 2

Gen 2 Sport Muffler
        I plan on getting cams+csl intake in the near future so I decided to get oversized pipes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1okDkf...ature=emb_logo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qKJmmf...ature=emb_logo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_con...ature=emb_logo
        Gopro microphone

As far as volume goes, it's perfect. Loud only when I want it to be. No issues with long drives. The tone definitely changes when it gets warmed up. The only thing I dont like is at about 2.5k-3krpm theres a tin rattle sound when cold. I might try a resonated section 2 to see how it changes the sound.

This system is way too expensive IMO, but luckily I got it for 25% off last year on turners website.

Overall amazing mod. Completely changes the experience.

Comment

Longshot request: Does anyone have a clip of the CSL Muffler on a US-spec car w/o a CSL intake?

Every CSL sound clip online is about the intake and not the exhaust, yet the OE CSL exhaust is surprisingly cheap at the moment ($1121 as of Sept 2021)

I know most people would always get the intake first, but maybe someone runs just the muffler? Or any anecdotal stories of sound? Mostly concerned with passing sound at Laguna Seca (low as 90 db in some cases)
          2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
          ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

Working...
          X