Coolant temperature gauge issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
    UPDATE: since many times the resolution to the problem is never updated by the OP, I took the car to a trusted forum member on here who has their own shop. They used this in dash menu system to check and reset the cluster. When checking it, it would go past the red into la la land, after reset it hits the end of red like it should. Gauge now points in the middle and issue is resolved as long as the cluster doesn't go haywire again. I can't remember the last exact test number as my memory isn't good. I appreciate y'all's help and hope this helps someone if they run across this in the future.
    Garage:
    2002 BMW M3: Slicktop jetblack/cinnamon. SMG to 6-speed. Arc-8's. Koni yellows/Dinan springs. Macht elbow. Megan headers. Stock section 1+AR20. SCZA section 3.
    1998 Mercedes E300 Turbodiesel: Pizza bag warmer.

Comment

So there was nothing wrong with your cluster/gauges is what your'e saying? Good news indeed thanks for updating us for future reference.
      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by Circa Surviven View Post

UPDATE: since many times the resolution to the problem is never updated by the OP, I took the car to a trusted forum member on here who has their own shop. They used this in dash menu system to check and reset the cluster. When checking it, it would go past the red into la la land, after reset it hits the end of red like it should. Gauge now points in the middle and issue is resolved as long as the cluster doesn't go haywire again. I can't remember the last exact test number as my memory isn't good. I appreciate y'all's help and hope this helps someone if they run across this in the future.
        The temperature stepper motor was sticking.

It will happen again Mark my words!

either disassemble the cluster and change the stepper motor or start shopping for a used cluster.

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
        So there was nothing wrong with your cluster/gauges is what your'e saying? Good news indeed thanks for updating us for future reference.
        There was (still is) something wrong with the cluster. The stepper motor on the temp gauge is cannot return to it default stop position.

doing a cluster test will help but it will happen again in the future.

Comment

I have same exact issue, my coolant temp gauge is going crazy, it runs hot when in reality coolant temp is normal (Checked live data from OBD), it also stuck at middle when i remove key, next day gauge was bit lower than that and eventually it went to cold zone as it should but it still reads too high when i warm up the engine, i know it's cluster issue because when i converted my gauge from MPH to KMH using decal, i must have installed needles too far back because my fuel and speed gauge had exact same issue after i rebult and installed cluster, it was not returning to it's default position when i took key off, turned out needles were set too far back, i guess my temp gauge has same issue or i just have to recalibrate the temp gauge but thing is i don't know how that's done, if anyone knows how to do that i would appreciate a lot

Comment

Originally posted by Theraqa View Post
            I have same exact issue, my coolant temp gauge is going crazy, it runs hot when in reality coolant temp is normal (Checked live data from OBD), it also stuck at middle when i remove key, next day gauge was bit lower than that and eventually it went to cold zone as it should but it still reads too high when i warm up the engine, i know it's cluster issue because when i converted my gauge from MPH to KMH using decal, i must have installed needles too far back because my fuel and speed gauge had exact same issue after i rebult and installed cluster, it was not returning to it's default position when i took key off, turned out needles were set too far back, i guess my temp gauge has same issue or i just have to recalibrate the temp gauge but thing is i don't know how that's done, if anyone knows how to do that i would appreciate a lot
            You can disassemble the cluster and reclock or re-zero the coolant gauge by using your hand to move it to zero. I'd try that first. If it happens again then you'll need to either replace the cluster or replace the stepper motors/gears.

Comment

Working...
            X