California Will Start Testing for ECU Tunes During Smog Checks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

California Will Start Testing for ECU Tunes During Smog Checks

Beginning July 19, 2021, vehicles with software not provided by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) or approved through a California Air Resources Board (CARB) Executive Order (EO) will fail Smog Check.
    ~~~~
    Before your vehicle will pass a Smog Check, you must have the vehicle’s software restored to the OEM software version. Once the software is restored, have your vehicle reinspected by a licensed Smog Check station. Note that vehicles initially directed to a STAR or Referee station must return to the same station type to complete the inspection process.
    ~~~~
    If you believe the vehicle’s software is already OEM or CARB-approved and yet your vehicle failed Smog Check, schedule an inspection with the Smog Check Referee.
    ~~~~
    If you unknowingly purchased a vehicle with illegally-modified software, you may file a complaint with BAR.

There is a big discussion of it in this thread: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...015-ca-la-smog
    2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
    ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

Anyone know if coding your LCM for LEDs would change the checksum values or whatever?

It's pretty bullshit if you can't even code off daytime running lights or triple blink BFD. 'Cause ya know... SMOG
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Like I posted in the other thread, this may not apply for 07 and older years:

Page 6 of http://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default/...og/msc0623.pdf

CAL ID & CVN
        Section (g)(4.7.4) of the OBD II regulation requires manufacturers to submit CAL ID and CVN information. A template titled “CAL ID and CVN Data” is provided in this Mail-Out as Attachment E. For 2008 and subsequent model years, manufacturers are required to use the Microsoft Excel electronic template provided on the ARB website http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/obdprog/obdprog.htm for reporting and electronically submitting CAL ID and CVN data to ARB.
        I guess we'll find out next Monday when people start getting smog checks under these new rules.

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
        Anyone know if coding your LCM for LEDs would change the checksum values or whatever?
        Highly doubt it. Checksum values are stored in DME memory, LCM is a separate module.

Comment

Sure hope is not pre 2006. I'm aware LCM is separate, but when you code, don't you code your bin and flash it? Or is there a separate file for the LCM? Figured it was just one "tune" file/bin.
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Document/IE92473B8992248378C3C5ABA362FE285?viewType=FullTex t&originationContext=documenttoc&transitionType= Ca tegoryPageItem&contextData=(sc.Default)

(4.7.1) All 20052 and subsequent model year vehicles shall use an algorithm to calculate a calibration verification number (CVN) that verifies the on-board computer software integrity in diagnostic or emission critical powertrain control units. The CVN shall be made available through the standardized data link connector in accordance with the SAE J1979 specifications. The CVN shall be capable of being used to determine if the emission-related software and/or calibration data are valid and applicable for that vehicle and CAL ID. For 50 percent of 2010 and 100 percent of 2011 and subsequent model year vehicles, one CVN shall be made available for each CAL ID made available and each CVN shall be output to a generic scan tool in the same order as the CAL IDs are output to the scan tool to allow the scan tool to match each CVN to the corresponding CAL ID.
            (4.7.2) Manufacturers shall request Executive Officer approval of the algorithm used to calculate the CVN. Executive Officer approval of the algorithm shall be based on the complexity of the algorithm and the difficulty in achieving the same CVN with modified calibration values.
            (4.7.3) The CVN shall be calculated at least once per driving cycle and stored until the CVN is subsequently updated. The stored CVN value may not be erased when fault memory is erased by a generic scan tool in accordance with SAE J1979 specifications or during normal vehicle shut down (i.e., key off, engine off).
            (4.7.4) When a CVN request message is received by the on-board computer, the stored CVN value shall be made available through the data link connector to a generic scan tool.
            (A) Except as provided below in sections (g)(4.7.4)(B) and (C), when a CVN request is received, the on-board computer may not respond with negative response codes (i.e., may not use delayed timing in sending the CVN and may not respond with a message indicating the CVN value is not currently available) and may not respond with a default value. Default value is defined as any value or space holder that is not a valid CVN value.
            (B) If the CVN request message is received within the first 120 seconds of vehicle operation after a reprogramming event or a non-volatile memory clear or within the first 120 seconds of vehicle operation after a volatile memory clear or battery disconnect, the on-board computer may respond with a negative response code directing the scan tool to wait or resend the request message after the delay. Such responses and delays shall conform to the specifications for transmitting CVN data contained in SAE J1979.
            (C) If a communication malfunction is preventing access to a CVN value for reporting in response to a scan tool request, a default CVN value may be reported in lieu of a valid CVN value provided that:
            (i) a pending fault code is stored or a confirmed fault code is stored with the MIL commanded on pinpointing a communication fault for the module that is unable to report a valid CVN, and
            (ii) the default CVN value used cannot be mistaken for a valid CVN (e.g., all zeros or all question marks for the default value).
            (4.7.5) For purposes of Inspection and Maintenance (I/M) testing, manufacturers shall make the CVN and CAL ID combination information available for all 2008 and subsequent model year vehicles in a standardized electronic format that allows for off-board verification that the CVN is valid and appropriate for a specific vehicle and CAL ID. The manufacturer shall use the most recent standardized electronic format detailed in Attachment E: CAL ID and CVN Data of ARB Mail-Out #MSC 06-23, December 21, 2006, incorporated by reference. Manufacturers shall submit the CVN and CAL ID information to the Executive Officer not more than 25 days after the close of a calendar quarter.
            Here is the OBDII reg that governs this if anyone wants to do some light reading.

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
            Sure hope is not pre 2006. I'm aware LCM is separate, but when you code, don't you code your bin and flash it? Or is there a separate file for the LCM? Figured it was just one "tune" file/bin.
            No, your bin file remains untouched. The LCM is a different computer entirely. I believe it's like if you upgraded your phone software while it was plugged into your laptop. Laptop's software didn't change even though it still can communicate with the phone.
            Last edited by skristedja; 07-14-2021, 08:16 AM.

Comment

I'll be getting my smog check this week. Car is back to stock and ready for it, just have to go in.

I'll ask the tech about these new regulations to see if they have any more insight (after my car passes of course lol)
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I'd be surprised if he knows anything about the mechanics of the computer system aspect.
                2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

I started writing a python tool that can force the cal ID / CVN to arbitrary values on our cars by modifying unused areas of the binary (it’s just a CRC16 IIRC on the MSS54 and HP which can be forced to any value by changing any two bytes). Didn’t finish it because Massachusetts doesn’t do OBD2 inspection for cars 15 years or older… I skipped inspection in 2020 instead lol. This is definitely defeatable though on our cars if anybody cares to spend the time creating a tool.

Comment

Originally posted by skristedja View Post
                    Like I posted in the other thread, this may not apply for 07 and older years:
                    Page 6 of http://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default/...og/msc0623.pdf
                    I guess we'll find out next Monday when people start getting smog checks under these new rules.
                    But isn’t that from a document dated Dec 21, 2006?
                    6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Is it easier to just get a spare DME to mod and then keep your original one stock for smog testing?

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post
                        Is it easier to just get a spare DME to mod and then keep your original one stock for smog testing?
                        Disabling EWS on the original DME will alter the CVN, making it look the same as a tune to any OBD2 reader. Pretty sure swapping DMEs back and forth needs EWS disabled on both but I’m not 100% on that.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
                          I started writing a python tool that can force the cal ID / CVN to arbitrary values on our cars by modifying unused areas of the binary (it’s just a CRC16 IIRC on the MSS54 and HP which can be forced to any value by changing any two bytes). Didn’t finish it because Massachusetts doesn’t do OBD2 inspection for cars 15 years or older… I skipped inspection in 2020 instead lol. This is definitely defeatable though on our cars if anybody cares to spend the time creating a tool.
                          You wanna finish it and accept donations from the community? Lol
                          Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

just got back from the smog place. He said its going to be bedlam come monday. Also lots of enhanced checking of stuff by smog techs. Including heavy scrutiny on cats.

He showed me part of the new procedure and that involved entering in the test group number on the emmissions sticker

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

You wanna finish it and accept donations from the community? Lol
                              I definitely want to finish it, just need to find some time. Currently dealing with cleaning and refinishing a flooded basement so the car aka test bed is in storage to make room for storing basement crap in the garage :/ Defeating “undefeatable” nanny regulations is always a fun time and worthy endeavor

Comment

Working...
                              X