Loud Mufffler and CSL airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loud Mufffler and CSL airbox

Does anyone here run a csl airbox with a loud exhaust?

Can you still hear the induction noise or does the exhaust sound hide it?

I run a ti exhaust and rasp pipe in section 1. Everything else is stock.
    Muffler is about as loud as a SS race.

Any feedback from those with experience?

It can absolutely drown it out

Right now I have a quieter set up, but still pretty aggressive with v1s and catless, and it's STILL taking away from the airbox, though I do like the mixture of them right now.

I would say it's more than just volume out the tail pipe though. IF your system has cats and resonators, but is still loud, it shouldn't take away from the airbox as much as a straight piped car (with quiet exh like me) would.

Drone and rasp coming from the headers and midpipes will take away more than volume out the tailpipe imo.

If you felt it were too much, before getting rid of your sec3, if you love it, you could try a resonated X pipe or 2.5" dual in sect 2 to further cut down on rasp/drone. That might do it.

Ultimately, it'd be hard to argue that any exh setup is more fun to listen to than the airbox, so I would error on the side of quiet/calm for exh to really enjoy what is the premier mod for our car (induction).

I think the best thing to do would be install a cutout and run a stock sect2/3, then open it up when you wanna get loud.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
      Ultimately, it'd be hard to argue that any exh setup is more fun to listen to than the airbox, so I would error on the side of quiet/calm for exh to really enjoy what is the premier mod for our car (induction).

I think the best thing to do would be install a cutout and run a stock sect2/3, then open it up when you wanna get loud.
      This,

I get more from a rock concert standing in the middle rather than next to the loudspeaker. And no matter how sonorous an opera singer might be, I'd rather he/she sing gently to me (at a socially accepted distance) when we converse rather than sit right next to me and scream into my ear.

I don't get loud exhaust purely for loudness. I can get a "nice" tone/sound which happens to be loud-ish. But the S54 isn't known for being sonorous or nice sounding so I'd err on the side of quiet too. IMO straight pipes never sound nice, they're just loud.

My 2 cents

Comment

Anyone running CSL Airbox with RE El Diablo sec 3 + RE X pipe? I’m not running EVC.

Planning on running airbox in future but wondering if my current will take away from it.
        '02 E46 ///M3 CSL Alpine|Imola

Comment

Currently running TMS V2 box with ARH, catted ARH section 1, stock section 2, and meisterschaft titanium section 3. Windows down, exhaust is 70% dominant. Windows up, airbox about 65% dominant. Sounds great though!

Comment

Yep. My exhaust setup is SS Stepped V1, twin 2 1/4" section 1 (with two bottle resonators), SS 3" x-pipe section 2 and SS Race Section 3. It's very loud.

It does not drown out the intake noise! Airbox is verrrrry loud. Can hear it clear as a whistle.

Comment

Originally posted by Syfon View Post
              Yep. My exhaust setup is SS Stepped V1, twin 2 1/4" section 1 (with two bottle resonators), SS 3" x-pipe section 2 and SS Race Section 3. It's very loud.

It does not drown out the intake noise! Airbox is verrrrry loud. Can hear it clear as a whistle.
              Do you have a video of the exhaust? Is your x pipe resonated as well?

Comment

Short answer is yes, and the CSL sound is way more appealing than exhaust noise of the S54. I had to quite mine as I heard more exhaust than intake, which made spending so much on an intake system a bit pointless IMO. I guess you choose what you like better

Comment

I still hear the growl with a GruppeM. It's much louder outside than inside though. Our car are pretty sound deadened. Remove all the front sound deadening you can. With my windows up, I barely anything from anywhere. Maybe I'm just deaf.
                  This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                  https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Stock euro exhaust with csl Airbox is the way to go I reckon. Nice balance of depth from the Airbox and rasp from the stock euro headers. Not loud until you step on it, no smell. Perfect.

Been there done that with the loud exhausts. So much more refined and unique to the s54 when you have a quiet exhaust loud intake. Bmw nailed it from factory.
                    Last edited by Thoglan; 07-24-2021, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake.s54 View Post

Do you have a video of the exhaust? Is your x pipe resonated as well?
                      I'll find one and upload it. Also have an in-car video filmed recently so you have hear both the exhaust and intake under load through 2nd & part of 3rd. x-pipe has a relatively open magnaflow muffer
                      Last edited by Syfon; 07-24-2021, 06:34 AM.

Comment

BMW nailed it with the S54 like Mazda nailed the rotary sound. Put a few bolts in a soda can then shake it... basically our cars stock. The El Diablo, from what I've read, is the favorite exhaust sound from almost everyone who hears it. I have yet to hear it so I'm biased towards titanium. The El Diablo is rather tame but growls. That, mixed with the CSL airbox, it might be up your alley. Since you still have cats, you really shouldn't have much issue hearing the induction noise with anything quieter than what you have.
                        This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
                          BMW nailed it with the S54 like Mazda nailed the rotary sound. Put a few bolts in a soda can then shake it... basically our cars stock. The El Diablo, from what I've read, is the favorite exhaust sound from almost everyone who hears it. I have yet to hear it so I'm biased towards titanium. The El Diablo is rather tame but growls. That, mixed with the CSL airbox, it might be up your alley. Since you still have cats, you really shouldn't have much issue hearing the induction noise with anything quieter than what you have.
                          Dixis is the best exhaust. 🙊
                          Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
                            Put a few bolts in a soda can then shake it... basically our cars stock.
                            Can't speak for US spec M3's but this has never been my experience with the Euro spec cars. If anything putting a loud exhaust amplifies that sound IMO. When I say BMW nailed it, I mean on the CSL and to a certain extend the standard euro spec m3 (although the airbox is really what makes the sound special). After hearing CSL's on track and on the street, I'm convinced that is the only route worth going. These days I really just want the exhaust to be as quiet as possible and I think the stock euro exhaust is possibly the best at doing that.

Comment

Me, I have supersprint ss race with ss section 2 non resonated and evolve air box. I can hear my airbox up top. I love the sound
                              ​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BySeujVZVNU

Comment

Working...
                              X