Doug Demuro says now is the time to buy an e46 M3, before values sky rocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
    I don't think the stock market or real estate are particularly sound bets at the moment
    really? you must not live in a desirable location then (PA I presume). low supply, high demand, and cheap mortgage rate ensures housing will be hot for some time. here, at least.

Comment

Chris Harris whom I really admire says that he often buys duplicates of cars he really loves. One to drive and the other to steal parts off of. I wish that was the case for these cars at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by dr_011 View Post

really? you must not live in a desirable location then (PA I presume). low supply, high demand, and cheap mortgage rate ensures housing will be hot for some time. here, at least.
        A good friend works in the industry and believes there's a good number of people that are going to be forced off of forbearance. That, coupled with (potentially) increasing rates could definitely cool the market. But right now it's just nuts watching the bidding wars in our neighborhood.

Comment

Originally posted by dr_011 View Post

I certainly think it’s a good time to sell— just a bad time to buy in.

The Fed only has so much control. Whatever rate they set, it doesn't make sense for banks to issue mortgages for less than what they think inflation will be. Inflation... has a non zero chance of being very high in times to come.

House prices are higher than they've ever been, recently surpassing the 2008 housing crisis, inflation adjusted.

I just sold our house, for 43% more than we paid for it 5 years ago (having put no money into upgrades), specifically to get out before everything goes to shit. We're building a house, but it won't be ready for a ~year. In the interim, back to apartment life to avoid what I think is a likely housing market crash coming in short order.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_25744.jpg Views:	13 Size:	38.8 KB ID:	116443

If you want to buy low, sell high as an investment strategy... we are not currently low. How far off peak we are is debatable, but I'm pretty sure we'll settle significantly lower than we are currently.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by yhp2009 View Post

But I would wager that a few decades from now many would see us as the odd ones lol.
            that's a pretty good point, the E46 M3 doesn't quite have that nostalgia factor to be a novel drive. the owners modding them are just trying to keep them relevant

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

that's a pretty good point, the E46 M3 doesn't quite have that nostalgia factor to be a novel drive. the owners modding them are just trying to keep them relevant
              It's a pretty novel driving experience, if you compare it to any car on sale today. It only feels same old, same old routine if you've been driving them right along, from when it was closer to normal.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i
              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post
                Every enthusiast car has gone up in value, not just ours.
                Underrated comment. GT350, GT500, Camaro 1Le, anything exotic, M5, M3, M2, certain Audis, Jaguar F-Type, the list goes on and on.
                3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

Underrated comment. GT350, GT500, Camaro 1Le, anything exotic, M5, M3, M2, certain Audis, Jaguar F-Type, the list goes on and on.
                  M6.... GT350 for sure and many others, as you mentioned. Good for me since it gives me time to collect.
                  in other news, doug mentioned the sky is blue and will remain so for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

It's a pretty novel driving experience, if you compare it to any car on sale today. It only feels same old, same old routine if you've been driving them right along, from when it was closer to normal.
                    i meant to say not novel in the sense that you'd consider it a classic and hence collectable car at this point in time. especially compared to something bonafide like the E30 M3

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

M6.... GT350 for sure and many others, as you mentioned. Good for me since it gives me time to collect.
                      in other news, doug mentioned the sky is blue and will remain so for a while.
                      Yeah and I forgot to mention just about every Porsche (how could I?) under the sun.

I had pretty much settled on buying a low mileage used GT350 or Jaguar F-Type and then prices increased big time for used ones, unreal. I refuse to pay what is currently being asked so I wait. A friend managed to get a Mach 1 before some dealers starting tacking on 10k to MSRP. Forget that.
                      3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

The drive is novel for me, enough so that it outweighs any desire to keep it low mileage for valuation purposes.
                        And depending on how high the valuations go, my current sentiment may not age very well

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

Yeah and I forgot to mention just about every Porsche (how could I?) under the sun.

I had pretty much settled on buying a low mileage used GT350 or Jaguar F-Type and then prices increased big time for used ones, unreal. I refuse to pay what is currently being asked so I wait. A friend managed to get a Mach 1 before some dealers starting tacking on 10k to MSRP. Forget that.
                          Same. I was dead set on the gt350 but drove an M6 and couldnt help myself. If things ever settle down id still like to pick up a gt350 or vantage (arguably the most underrated car of all time), sometine i think I should have picked that up instead of the M6. Oh well.

Comment

In all honesty the “potential valuation” has affected my driving habits of my cars, especially the M3. And I really hate to actually say it out loud. It has 99,XXX on the clock and I’ve made the conscious choice numerous times to drive something else instead because the 100K mile mark is knocking on the door. It’s completely ridiculous because I have zero intentions of ever selling it. I know how dumb it is. Just a personal insight I guess.
                            2006 Alpine White M3 ZCP 6MT
                            2000 Alpine White Dinan ISR-3 M Roadster
                            2000 Avus Blue M5
                            Few other non-BMWs….

Comment

Originally posted by sliqwille View Post
                              In all honesty the “potential valuation” has affected my driving habits of my cars, especially the M3. And I really hate to actually say it out loud. It has 99,XXX on the clock and I’ve made the conscious choice numerous times to drive something else instead because the 100K mile mark is knocking on the door. It’s completely ridiculous because I have zero intentions of ever selling it. I know how dumb it is. Just a personal insight I guess.
                              I'm the same way man as irrational as it sounds. It used to be my daily for the longest time but now that I'm restoring it and building a track tool, I am now having hesitations of taking it to the track knowing how abusive it can be (as well as seeing other cars crashed, gashes, chips, etc.) knowing values are rising it just doesn't make sense anymore. I think it's going to just be my weekend fun/canyon run car only once it's done and I don't plan on selling either.

It would be nice just to buy the chassis with all carbon body panels like what karbonius just unveiled. That way you're not destroying your street car by taking everything out, you're just adding what you need. I remember you used to be able to buy those back in the day.
                              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Only way the E46M is leaving my hands is when they're dead cold so valuation means nothing to me personally except it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside when threads like this post.

What percentage of current forum members are most likely going to end up being lifelong or until total loss holders of these cars, >75%?? It seems like almost everyone who has made the decision of selling them in the past has gone back to buy them again.

Comment

Working...
                                X