No cam tool cam removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No cam tool cam removal

Finally got around to disassembling my block today and I was attempting to remove the cams without the cam tool per the GAS method (on an M54). However, on the S54 one stud is longer than the other and it poses an issue. As soon as the nut on the short stud is removed, the longer stud looks like it will still be under tension since the valve spring will still be a little compressed and I am concerned it may bend the stud or worse since I have really no idea how much tension is on there. Has anyone done this successfully on the S54. About to just get the tool but the nuts are 95% there and I want to send the parts out next week for cleaning/prep.

By the time you’re off the short stud, there’s no tension left on the valve spring. It’s fine.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

got it, sure feels like there will be haha.

Comment

So is this method considered OK? I plan on doing cams at some point and if I can save $800 on the tool that would be a big plus.
        2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
        Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
        Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
        RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
        Instagram

Comment

If you don’t screw up, it’s fine.

The tool absolutely makes the process fool proof.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
            So is this method considered OK? I plan on doing cams at some point and if I can save $800 on the tool that would be a big plus.
            I'll know this evening. From what I have done so far, pretty straight forward, just really seemed like tension wouldn't come off fully before the last nut was removed and I wasn't comfortable with any undue stress on the valve train. I guess worst case you break a cam and have a great excuse to upgrade.
            Last edited by Icecream; 07-25-2021, 02:59 PM.

Comment

I rent the tool out if needed,,,,,,,it’s listed in the tool rental section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

IDK what the M54 procedure is, but assuming it's similar to an S54, once the motor's been set to TDC...you can remove all of the cam caps on the Intake side, leaving cylinder # 3 in place. Just alternate between the nuts about 1/4 turn each time and you should be fine. On the exhaust side it's cylinder #2. I've done this a couple of times now, and knock on wood, it's worked every time. GL!

Comment

Originally posted by stash1 View Post
                  IDK what the M54 procedure is, but assuming it's similar to an S54, once the motor's been set to TDC...you can remove all of the cam caps on the Intake side, leaving cylinder # 3 in place. Just alternate between the nuts about 1/4 turn each time and you should be fine. On the exhaust side it's cylinder #2. I've done this a couple of times now, and knock on wood, it's worked every time. GL!
                  Pretty much the same. The difference is both studs on the m54 are equal length, that about it. I also allowed two lobes to evenly press on the valves, they should be under a little less tension and maybe make it easier to keep the cam steady while the bolts come out.

Comment

All is good. Tension comes off right at the last couple threads (the nuts are a little deceiving with how deep they are). Very simple procedure tbh.

Comment

Just to add - You slowly loosen each nut so the tension is even throughout the length of the cam, it'll come off. You can back off both nuts until each nut is almost off on both studs. Just as an FYI for others to see. There isn't much tension on the cam when the cap is loose. It won't fly off. Same process with install, slowly add tension on each nut so the tension is even throughout. Don't forget to torque accordingly
                      Last edited by enjoy_m3; 07-27-2021, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X