Belligerent TPM light !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belligerent TPM light !

No matter how many times I reset the light, it comes back with a vengeance.

My procedure:

1) Press the TPM button (indicator in instrument cluster goes yellow)

2) Start driving slowly

3) Press and hold the button again (long press)

After this procedure the indicator clears, but without fail has come back on numerous occasions!

Any help is welcome!

Last edited by loudspeaker69; 07-31-2021, 05:20 AM.

Installed square APEX ARC-8 18x9.5 ET35, 12mm spacers in the rear with new 4 265/35/18 Michelin Sport A/S 3+ all around...nothing but red tpms light since install. I’ll reset and comes back after a few minutes of driving. Went back to the shop and all checked out as far as pressure and no flat tires. Any ideas or is this a
    '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Thats not how TPMS is reset. Use procedure linked above or read your manual.

Comment

I'll add:

TMPS is coming on for a reason. You need to find the reason and fix it first. Then check pressures. Then use the re-learn procedure.

If you don't fix the problem - the proper re-learn process will do nothing.

Comment

If all else fails RTFM.
          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

My VMR wheels would leak.
            Early on, the tpms icon would come on yellow.
            I would reset by following the manual, but later discovered that I only had to keep the reset button depressed for 5 seconds. The icon illumuninates as it should....Cheap ass wheels.
            15k miles later and the icon comes on red.

You'll be nagged by the dash until you fix the pressure issue.

Comment

The manual does nothing to address the issue OP is having.
              '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Thanks,

I’ve done this procedure before last year.
                The red TPMS light still came back.

If not mistaken, it came back on while I was on the highway.
                No significant variance in pressure as far as I know.

Nevertheless, I still did this procedure yesterday.

It would not surprise me if it comes back on.

Comment

The 2003 manual states this information on pg. 84 and 85.

Even though I reset the TPMS yesterday, I reset it again using the procedure on pg. 85.

I may not be surprised if the red TPMS light comes back on after some driving.

I drive the most on the weekend at this point, so it may be a while.

Last edited by loudspeaker69; 08-02-2021, 10:21 AM.

Comment

And so I’m coming back from a work retreat.
                    (My car sat at the retreat for 2 days straight).

I’m leaving the retreat and drove the car for 5 minutes and the TPM light comes on!

In the beginning of August it was reset as per the manual and the light stayed off for 1.5 months now.

As the light came on today, I pull over and check the pressures.
                    There is no significant variance in tire pressures.

Thoughts?

Comment

Faulty speed sensors? Dont know just tossing it out there, but if i remember correctly, there are not tmps sensors in the wheels, but sensors that watch wheel speed,

Comment

Originally posted by Rkymtnrider View Post
                        Faulty speed sensors? Dont know just tossing it out there, but if i remember correctly, there are not tmps sensors in the wheels, but sensors that watch wheel speed,
                        Would addressing this be as simple as removing and cleaning the sensors, or would they require replacement? I’ve been getting the DSC and TPMS light pretty much every time I drive between Austin and Houston.
                        Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                        Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post

Would addressing this be as simple as removing and cleaning the sensors, or would they require replacement? I’ve been getting the DSC and TPMS light pretty much every time I drive between Austin and Houston.
                          Try pulling and cleaning them. The DSC/TPMS light suggest they are either bad, or dirty. If cleaning doesn't change it - replace them.

Comment

Originally posted by loudspeaker69 View Post

Thanks,

I’ve done this procedure before last year.
                            The red TPMS light still came back.

If not mistaken, it came back on while I was on the highway.
                            No significant variance in pressure as far as I know.

Nevertheless, I still did this procedure yesterday.

It would not surprise me if it comes back on.

This procedure and a video on youtube helped me get rid of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post

Our cars don't have tpms sensors do they?? I think it's calculated by tire rotations with the ABS system or something.
                              Check your tire pressures or maybe you have a slow leak?

Comment

Working...
                              X